BIO Balls matter

Limpc

• SRC Member

Hi all,

I have an internal overflow filter with BIO Balls. I would like to find out from experts in this forum about the water level in the filter.

For optimum operation, should the BIO balls be submerged totally in water ? I read from couple of sites that water should be just trickling thro' the balls for bacteria to generate and survive. This ensure sufficient oxygen for bacteria.

Any comments please.

Limpc

In my old tank.... I used bioballs in my overflow compartment... with good results....

Your bioballs should be NOT totally submerged in your OF.... water should be trickling down through all your bioballs... so they are always wet but not submerged. If the bottom few inches are submerged it's fine.

You will have no problems effectively converting ammonia and nitrites to nitrates... the only thing you have to take care of is how to deal with potentially high nitrates produced by bioballs... maybe have a DSB in the sump or something or more liverock....

Inspite of the 'old school' method.... of wet/dry filter system... it would work best for FOWLR tanks.

BTW, I have a big bag full of bioballs that I wanna trade/sell... any takers?

;)

• SRC Member

bioball is known as " bio factory".... they are very good to be use as a bio filtration media..... but the problem they produce, nitrate is a major draw back..... that is why a lot of plp prefer to use DSB which is cheaper and at the same time, more effective.... just my 2 cents....

• SRC Member

Used to have Bioballs for my tank setup... Nitrate levels are pretty high but now drop the Bioballs for my new setup, stick to DSB and lots of liverock...

Ammonia undetectable, Nitrite undetectable and Nitrate level 5 ppm....

My tank has never look better...... :lol: