Auto Water Topup..

chanbi

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are simple designs using just suction to do water top-ups.

Look for DIY Nurse designs, you can design one using a water-cooler jug, a rubber cork, stiff airline tubings etc.

Either that or get an auto-top up system with two legs... get your family members or neighbour to come in and top up manually! :D

This one look interesting but i am hoping to come up with something that can tahan me for slightly more than a week. Do you think whether it make sense if i use a timer (digital type that can set to 1 min interval) to top up daily for ~1-2min using a pump from a pail but without sensing the water level??

btw, i going on a holiday with my in-laws and i am staying pretty far away from the rest of my family. And i don't know my neighbour that well (pretty common nowsaday?)..

I guess the digital timer thingy might work in theory.

The only thing you have to accurately guess is your powerhead flow rate and how short a timing your digital timer can be set for. I believe the minimum is one minute?

One minute can be probably enough to drain half a bucket, unless you use the tiniest powerhead/pump or further restrict it with a valve!

You don't want too much water entering your tank at once!

Oh... WHAT ABOUT THE FACT THAT TIMERS FOLLOW A 24 HOURS CYCLE? Don't forget you are setting a min worth of water every 24 hours...!!!

Coincidentally, I will also be away for up to 2 weeks later in the year. I'm currently working on a solution which involves a tiny bit of electronics. I have not put it to use yet. I'm testing out the mechanics of it to make sure that it's working fine. So far so good. I'll be getting a pump in a few days time and put it to use.

There's no direct connection to the mains, so it's safer. It makes use of a relay. Basically, it works like this:

- A floatation device placed in the tank will float up or down depending on whether water is topped up or evaporated.

- When the water level drops, the floatation device will press down on a micro switch.

- This will cause a relay to turn on a pump that is connected to fill the tank.

- When the tank fills up, the floatation device will float and release the micro switch, thus switching off the relay which in turn switches off the pump.

I've attached pics of what I've done so far and also a diagram showing how the parts are connected (I'm no electrical engineer so a simple diagram is all I can manage - not a proper electrical kind of diagram).

For the floatation device, I use a 500ml mineral bottle for the outer casing. I cut off the bottom of the bottle and mount it on my tank inverted. The micro switch is mounted on the cut edge of the bottle.

I use a spent Calcium supplement bottle for the actual think that floats in the water. To this, I add a plastic coaster (see pics). This bottle is partially fill with water - you add or remove water to calibrate it.

I've also added a light indicator that turns on when the circuit is complete i.e. the pump would be pumping water if it were connected. This is optional.

The relay (including all the exposed parts) are housed in a small container (MacDonald's ice cream container) to prevent accidental touching of any live wires carrying 240V of electricity. Note that the relay uses only 12V DC so it's safe to touch it (I actually set the adaptor to 9V which I found is sufficient).

It takes about 1cm of water level difference to turn the switch on and off. If you have a sump, it's best to mount it there.

Lastly, you can buy the micro switch and relay at Sim Lim Tower. Very cheap too. The micro switch cost me 90 cents, the relay $2.00 and the AC adaptor $4.50.

Looks awesome Fantom!

You sure you're not an electronics engineer or something? :D

So you followed the principles of a float switch device... and made your own cheaply! WOW!

I am an electronics idiot... actually i hate electricity... hate getting shocks!

Perhaps what you do is to start using materials that will give it a more professional look, tidy up the wiring, waterproof it... and you could sell this float switch hobby kit cheaply to us!!!

Kaching! $$$$! :lol:

Qixian

Yes, it can be used for a 2ft tank. In fact, it can be used for any size of tank. The important thing here is how much water evaporation occurs before the switch is closed?

In my tests, it took about 1cm of water height difference. So, if you use it on a small tank, then that 1cm will happen sooner. That's why I mentioned that it's best to place the floatation device in the sump.

BTW, my tank is 2.5ft and I use a fan for cooling. If you're using a fan too, then it means that it will take a shorter time for you before the switch is closed (assuming you place the floatation device in your tank).

Achilles

Thanks for your feedback and suggestions. However, I'm too lazy to really do it up nicely. But I'll still keep it in mind. Maybe one of these days, if and when I have nothing better to do, I get to it.

In any case, I'm happy to share this with everyone.

Also, I cannot take total credit for this. The design was a joint effort with a frient of mine whose hobby is electronics. But I can take credit for the hard work :-)

Last ly, this is still not the total design. There is still one more part to it that I will add later on after I'm satisfied that this part is working well.

The other part is to ensure that should the amount of water for top up (i.e. the fresh water) fall too low (i.e. about to dry up) for any reason, the pump does not turn on. Else the pump will attempt to pump air instead of water! Any this may just cause an electrical trip to the whole house if the pump burns - disastrous.

This other part is simpler than this first one. It requires one more micro switch and another flotation device of a slightly different design. Will add this here when I'm done with it.

• SRC Member
Qixian

Yes, it can be used for a 2ft tank. In fact, it can be used for any size of tank. The important thing here is how much water evaporation occurs before the switch is closed?

In my tests, it took about 1cm of water height difference. So, if you use it on a small tank, then that 1cm will happen sooner. That's why I mentioned that it's best to place the floatation device in the sump.

BTW, my tank is 2.5ft and I use a fan for cooling. If you're using a fan too, then it means that it will take a shorter time for you before the switch is closed (assuming you place the floatation device in your tank).

Achilles

Thanks for your feedback and suggestions. However, I'm too lazy to really do it up nicely. But I'll still keep it in mind. Maybe one of these days, if and when I have nothing better to do, I get to it.

In any case, I'm happy to share this with everyone.

Also, I cannot take total credit for this. The design was a joint effort with a frient of mine whose hobby is electronics. But I can take credit for the hard work :-)

Last ly, this is still not the total design. There is still one more part to it that I will add later on after I'm satisfied that this part is working well.

The other part is to ensure that should the amount of water for top up (i.e. the fresh water) fall too low (i.e. about to dry up) for any reason, the pump does not turn on. Else the pump will attempt to pump air instead of water! Any this may just cause an electrical trip to the whole house if the pump burns - disastrous.

This other part is simpler than this first one. It requires one more micro switch and another flotation device of a slightly different design. Will add this here when I'm done with it.

Inform us when your product is completed! I would like to buy one of the future versions from you because topping up water is a hassle... <_<

Wow "paisei".. I actually studied electronic but did not even think of getting the DC-AC relay!! This is definitely safe and I think i will go with your design but i will go down to Sim Lim to checkout how much does the float switch cost (to see whether it worth the effort of making my own)..

Thanks a lot Fantom!

:lol::rolleyes:

Guys, the total cost is as follows:

1 x micro switch = $0.90

1 x relay = $2.00

1 x AC adaptor = $4.50

1 x coaster = free (just kah poh from house)

1 x spent calcium supplement bottle = free

1 x 500ml mineral water bottle = free

1 x MacDonald's ice cream box = free

wire = about $1.00

glue, solder, cable tie = negligible cost

Total = $8.40 (or thereabout)

Definitely under $10

• SRC Member

Hi thought about the topoff as well for sometime.

Here is a rough sketch of my design which is very similar. Current teaming up with a technical teacher in NIE to make the circuit box water proof and the entire product marketable. Each unit should not be priced more than $100. What do you think? The proto type will be on the way, currently still designing a unique kalwasser reservoir.

Cheers! :D

Improved%20Circuit2.jpg

post-9-1032966216.jpg

Comments are welcome!

I have spent ~2hr last night on it and it is up and running!!! But i will not turn it on full time till Sat (to be safe, want to be around to make sure it really work fine the whole day before i leave it on it own on weekday when there is no one at home). The concept that i used is exactly the same as what Cedric mentioned below (except that i skip the led light and mine is waterproof using a plastic cup (like what Fantom do). One thing that need to take note is the float switch. I secured it tightly to the return pump PVC pipe to make sure that the level that i have finally adjusted to will never be move. Else there will be a potential that it can flood your sump! I'm also planning to plug it up to one of the timer that i'm already using (i don't think it need to be keep sensing 24hr throughout).. So in total, to safe on some of the work that Fantom does, i spent ~$30.

AT, too bad. I don't have a digital camera. Will try to borrow one to get some pics.

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

Hi guys instead of a electronic one, why not get a crude mechanical one? Have not tried it myself, putting my idea up to be scrutinise for all :P

But i guess might need a sump for that. I presume that when water level falls in the main tank, the sump water level will fall right?

Have you guys seen those water dispensers for doggies? they look like the water dispensers in the office just that it has a tray that serves the water. When my dog drinks from it, the water level drops to a certain point and water from the dispenser oozes out to maintain the amount of water in the tray.

I was thinking to drill the tray will lotsa holes to allow water in and out freely and place the dispenser (supported by a rack to acquire the desired 'top up' level) in the sump. So that when water level falls below the threshold, FW is being added to the desired level.

What you guys think? naive? i havent tried it anyway :ph34r: