Timer for Chiller?

• SRC Member

as long as ur compressor is not running, ur thermostat is drawing very little electricity; even if it is switched on 24/7.

so is to say on/off method or not on/off method , surge will still occur when the

compressor kick in. just that on/off will let the chiller stay on for longer and off for

longer thus less surge due to less kick in/out as compare to normal operation of

cl650. i read somewhere running amp is 2 plus and starting amp is 3 plus. so

on/off method is better right? any comment ? ;)

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member

it makes no different if you use timer for your chiller or if your compressor kick in and out (on-off) often :rolleyes:

for timer user, the only different that is your tank water temperature ;)

the problem for the resun chiller is that the thermostat sensor measure the temperature inside the cooling coil (heat exchanger). it is not measuring your actural tank water temperature. therefore, it kicks in and out very often. to resolve this problem, people will use the external temperature controller (thermostat) to measure the actual tank water temperature. with this, the chiller will kick in and out lesser (save electricity) ;) <if you want more technical detail or explanation, u can PM me)

p.s it is ok if you want to off your chiller for a whole night time. it makes no diffferent ;)

age.png

• SRC Member
it makes no different if you use timer for your chiller or if your compressor kick in and out (on-off) often :rolleyes:

for timer user, the only different that is your tank water temperature ;)

the problem for the resun chiller is that the thermostat sensor measure the temperature inside the cooling coil (heat exchanger). it is not measuring your actural tank water temperature. therefore, it kicks in and out very often. to resolve this problem, people will use the external temperature controller (thermostat) to measure the actual tank water temperature. with this, the chiller will kick in and out lesser (save electricity) ;) <if you want more technical detail or explanation, u can PM me)

p.s it is ok if you want to off your chiller for a whole night time. it makes no diffferent ;)

hi loster i think like wise also. just concern about the non-existing surge issue. ;)

actually for other chiller , the probe is also inside the chiller compartment, just

that the controller not so sensitive or the water volume inside alot , my guess

• SRC Member

hi loster i think like wise also. just concern about the non-existing surge issue. ;)

actually for other chiller , the probe is also inside the chiller compartment, just

that the controller not so sensitive or the water volume inside alot , my guess

that's also where it places the thermostat sensor :P different chiller will place it sensor different way ;)

age.png

• SRC Member
Cool it ........man!!! Looks like the "HEATER is on instead".

Just think of our fridge & aircon - Do we turn them of and on to save energy? The built-in themostats will do the necessary in controlling the temperature. We will in fact be using more energy for the chiller to stop......temperature pickup in tank.....then chiller start again to cool the higher temperature......

This is my theory.

Looks like this explanation hit the dot. Nobody install timer for fridge why do we need to install 1 for chiller?

so is to say on/off method or not on/off method , surge will still occur when the

compressor kick in. just that on/off will let the chiller stay on for longer and off for

longer thus less surge due to less kick in/out as compare to normal operation of

cl650. i read somewhere running amp is 2 plus and starting amp is 3 plus. so

on/off method is better right? any comment ? ;)

what i dun understand is why r u so worried abt the electrical surge? there's bound to be surge when the comp kicks in but that will be only for a relatively short period of time and the resonance will soon come to be ur running amp. i wld say that the start up amp is negligible in relation to cost.

i wld rather put my concerns on the overall amp the whole reef system is running on, making sure that the total amp does not exceed 13A at any given point of time.

Austin the Westie: "I may be your best friend, but you are my everything".

Lightning Strike's Back!!!

Reefkeeping Is Not My Hobby, It's My Obsession.

Austin's Birthday

.png

• SRC Member

Looks like this explanation hit the dot. Nobody install timer for fridge why do we need to install 1 for chiller?

hahaha :lol: actually u can install timer for your fridge instead of using temperture controller (thermostat). the only different is that your food in the fridge won't last for long cos the timer won't sense the require temp for your food in the fridge. however, it makes no different if you use either thermostat or timer to switch on-off the fridge.

we don't usually switch on our A/C 24/7 cos of the high maintenance cost. we switch it on "manually" and of cos with the help of the themostat to keep your require room temperature ;) moreover, i use my A/C remote to set it timer for my A/C cos i only use it for 3 hours a night (save electricity). and the A/C remote timer will switch off my A/C power with the set time even if my A/C compressor run 1/2 way to keep my room temperature or we manually off our A/C when we are no in use.

so, using timer for chiller.... the only different is your tank water temp cos timer can't sense it :)

age.png

• SRC Member

there are few things need to take note for those who thought of using timer for your chiller.

after i have read up to reflesh my memory of the A/C system that i have studied years ago... :P

too frequence switching on/off your chiller will have 2 effect:

1. your compressor life span will be shorter

2. in fact you need to drew high current to push start your compressor. when it heating up after running for some time, it drew lesser current. so, actually you won't save much electrity if you switch on/off your compressor too frequence or too short the period of time.

these are the factors you need to consider if you still want to use timer for your chiller.

age.png