Calling all FrogFish LOVERS :D

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member
Hi bro,

It's not that I don't want to, or that I cannot afford to. The amount of $ I have spent so far can easily buy 3 of your kind of system, or even more. Hear me out.

I grew up in a humble family where money is tight, where even a fish costing 60 cents is expensive to me. From young, I either keep fish which I caught myself in the drains, or fish that cost equal to or less than 30 cents a piece (that was in the 1980s). My fish tanks were plastic containers that were translucent at the sides, hence the only view was from the top. I don't even have an airpump, since I can't afford one, and the electricity consumption will add to the burden of my family.

I stopped keeping fish when I was in JC, and briefly kept some while in NS. That was when I came across marine fish, and I bought my first glass tank on a stand (the money came from my NS pay and private tuition). However, whichever article or book I read, the recommended setup is always prohibitively expensive. I read all the fish magazines and articles I could find, and decided to start with lionfishes (because they are simply beautiful). I also decided that I will try my best to use a system which requires the miminum amount of money. Call me stubborn or stupid (or both), but I decided then that being poor does not forbid a person to own a marine aquarium and beatiful marine fish.

I only started to realise my goal after I returned from my overseas study. The effort was intensified after I got married and have my own flat. I tried for 5 years, and eventually came up with a system which is cheap, but rather labour intensive. One cannot have the best of both worlds. However, if the bioload is small, it is still possible to have a cheap system with reduced labour, which I have found in my 2.5 ft tank. This tank is also able to support some corals, because the fish density is very low.

The choice of my first fish also helped considerably. Ambush predators require less frequent feeding, and target feeding means that little uneaten food is left to rot in the tank. I found out about scorpionfishes and froggies, and they became part of my stable colony.

So, this is how I started, and I can say that I am near to my goal. Eventually, I will also buy the optimum system which most aquarists should have.

bro Synanceia, enjoyed reading your autobiography.....a humble and modest upbringing.

Look forward to meet you one day....

I came from a not really well to do family.... keeping fishes and buying equipments and electricity consumption was not a luxury things i can afford when i was younger. Now that i m working, move to a new house, i wanted to fulfill my dreams to keep a marine tank.....

I always ask myself "do we really need to spend a bomb to start a marine tank"? or all those expensive equipments are nothing but gimmick. I m knew to this marine hobby but i am still exploring whether is it possible to do a reliable setup without the need to spend too much. Now that i have come across someone whom believe and has actually done it, i look forward to learn from you. .....

• SRC Member
Hi bro,

It's not that I don't want to, or that I cannot afford to. The amount of $ I have spent so far can easily buy 3 of your kind of system, or even more. Hear me out.

I grew up in a humble family where money is tight, where even a fish costing 60 cents is expensive to me. From young, I either keep fish which I caught myself in the drains, or fish that cost equal to or less than 30 cents a piece (that was in the 1980s). My fish tanks were plastic containers that were translucent at the sides, hence the only view was from the top. I don't even have an airpump, since I can't afford one, and the electricity consumption will add to the burden of my family.

I stopped keeping fish when I was in JC, and briefly kept some while in NS. That was when I came across marine fish, and I bought my first glass tank on a stand (the money came from my NS pay and private tuition). However, whichever article or book I read, the recommended setup is always prohibitively expensive. I read all the fish magazines and articles I could find, and decided to start with lionfishes (because they are simply beautiful). I also decided that I will try my best to use a system which requires the miminum amount of money. Call me stubborn or stupid (or both), but I decided then that being poor does not forbid a person to own a marine aquarium and beatiful marine fish.

I only started to realise my goal after I returned from my overseas study. The effort was intensified after I got married and have my own flat. I tried for 5 years, and eventually came up with a system which is cheap, but rather labour intensive. One cannot have the best of both worlds. However, if the bioload is small, it is still possible to have a cheap system with reduced labour, which I have found in my 2.5 ft tank. This tank is also able to support some corals, because the fish density is very low.

The choice of my first fish also helped considerably. Ambush predators require less frequent feeding, and target feeding means that little uneaten food is left to rot in the tank. I found out about scorpionfishes and froggies, and they became part of my stable colony.

So, this is how I started, and I can say that I am near to my goal. Eventually, I will also buy the optimum system which most aquarists should have.

Hi bro,

first and foremost, i din mean to agonise you in anyway haaahaaaahaaaaaa just that i really think you deserve a better setup for your hobby:) I enjoy reading your humble past and hey, me too came from a family that is not so well to do where i have to come up with my own $$$ for all my overseas education. I'm also a true believer that we dun have to spend a bomb on marine setups in order to keep those beautiful pets. You've seen my tank, all DIY to the best that i can afford haaaahaaahaaaa and i was scrutinised for using weipro skimmer to a certain extent by some reefers. Truth is, i have been keeping those beautiful predators for the past three years and things are going great, i just have to constantly remind myself not to overload the tank thats all.

Its cool to find like minded reefers here:) Hey, just give me a yell, i will help you with your new setup yeah when the day comes:)

• SRC Member
bro Lester i think i gt one new name for the group.....'The Good,The Bad n The Frogfish'hw bout tat?? :peace:

hi bro :D

hehe me ok wif anything ...as long as the group likes it i am ok :D

btw.. anyone interested in the design of the club logo ???

cheers :D

• SRC Member

i believe that that will be a some frogfish gathering this comming sat :P

reali wanted to join in but sorry can't have to work.. boss reali not happy with me liao...........

hehe, i believe you guys sure will have lots of fun... do update me ok ...:thanks:

• SRC Member
Lester,

Nice pic for T-shirt. Go for it... :yeah:

bro Shawn...

Aquamarin got a lots of small frog fish....but quite normal.

Looking forward to meet you tomorrow.

Now i am going to sell away my two 5inch white warty and the red one. Cannot tahan the bioload...i m testing the limit by keeping both in a 1ft tank. You got lobang?

Bro Derek,

What a waste to sell away your white and red warty. Not easy to find you know, especially the red one. You don't have any tank to place them?

BTW, I feel that some of the equipment they sell on the market are essential if one wants to maintain a reef aquarium (complete with more colourful live rock and corals), and also if one doesn't want to have to change the water so frequently. Just ask bro angry - he only tops up his tank with freshwater and except for the feeding, he doesn't have to do much more than sit back on his chair to enjoy the fish. Unless, of course, you keep the fish density very low. My 2.5ft tank houses 2 seahorses, 2 one-inch scorpions, 1 juvenile mono, some bristle worms, some unidentified corals. The tank is solely for the seahorses, and the fish are in there cos they may be eaten by others if I place them in the 3ft tanks. I have been questioned by my use of undergravel filters - most people feel that they don't work. But they do - provided that they are able to support the load you want. If not, you will know from the deaths which occur in the tank. Like I said, I have few months where the fish are thriving happily - until I decided to add more fish, and then things happen - disease strikes, and some fish die.

• SRC Member
Bro Derek,

What a waste to sell away your white and red warty. Not easy to find you know, especially the red one. You don't have any tank to place them?

BTW, I feel that some of the equipment they sell on the market are essential if one wants to maintain a reef aquarium (complete with more colourful live rock and corals), and also if one doesn't want to have to change the water so frequently. Just ask bro angry - he only tops up his tank with freshwater and except for the feeding, he doesn't have to do much more than sit back on his chair to enjoy the fish. Unless, of course, you keep the fish density very low. My 2.5ft tank houses 2 seahorses, 2 one-inch scorpions, 1 juvenile mono, some bristle worms, some unidentified corals. The tank is solely for the seahorses, and the fish are in there cos they may be eaten by others if I place them in the 3ft tanks. I have been questioned by my use of undergravel filters - most people feel that they don't work. But they do - provided that they are able to support the load you want. If not, you will know from the deaths which occur in the tank. Like I said, I have few months where the fish are thriving happily - until I decided to add more fish, and then things happen - disease strikes, and some fish die.

Bro Synanceia,

I m testing the limit of putting 2 pc of 5inch+ froggy in a 1ft tank. Without skimmer, just a overhead filter and 1+ inch DSB. The nitrate will shoot every 2-3 days to dangerous level. I must change change and change water. Very tedious and tired.

The red one i bought $85. Now logically it should shoot up to $160 cos he eat up my 1inch+ yellow warty. :P:P

The white warty looks like my avatar but not as cute cos it is 5inch+. Bought from Henry last thursday. Just settle down and start feeding....

Actually wanted to check whether are you interested in both of them cos i know they will be under a safe pair of hand if you take it.

Once these two are sold, I m going to proceed with 5 to 6 pc of 1 inch+ one instead. :yeah::yeah:

If not, then i will carry on with these two cos i agree with you, red are rare and costly.....

• SRC Member
Bro Derek,

bro, if you interested, PM me your hp. I sms the two photos to you. Need your comment.

• SRC Member
Lester,

Nice pic for T-shirt. Go for it...  :yeah:

hi bro :D... hehe actually got a few design ... will post here once the owner of the pics approve the rest .. then you guys can choose the best / liking..... :D

• SRC Member
Hi Lester....morning!

Thanks for the pic.

It looks really stand out. Let's expediate and go ahead.....

Looking forward to the setup!  :D

:D /... will fast fast do the tank once the seven months finish ......... :P

• SRC Member

hahaha! Like i said, we can proceed to fabricate and by the time 7th mth over...we can just nice collect the tank :D:lol:

ok :D ..... will meet you in person in a few days time k .. hehe got to settle some "internal affairs" first .. :P

p/s : hehe so together .. black sand ? :P