Calling all FrogFish LOVERS :D

• SRC Member

Lester, u are most welcome to my house on CNY. Just let me know when... :D

Your new froggie nice colour and size about right.

Is it feeding yet?

Cheers

Shawn

:lol:

yap it is feeding now ...

strave it for 4 days before feeding it ...

:P

hehe

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member

Hi Guys,

Something a lfs said got me thinking about feeding our froggies with live marine fish. I was told that some of the cheap marine fishes like clowns are cyanide caught and will die after some time. :cry:

If that's the case, don't u think we are taking a risk feeding them with such fishes?

I suppose we have no choice unless we can can manage to get a reputable lfs to supply us with genuine hand-caught fishes but then again this will bring up the cost.

So next best thing is to go to the beach to catch your own or continue feeding them with freshwater shrimps or mollies... :idea:

Cheers

• SRC Member
Hi Guys,

Something a lfs said got me thinking about feeding our froggies with live marine fish. I was told that some of the cheap marine fishes like clowns are cyanide caught and will die after some time. :cry:

If that's the case, don't u think we are taking a risk feeding them with such fishes?

I suppose we have no choice unless we can can manage to get a reputable lfs to supply us with genuine hand-caught fishes but then again this will bring up the cost.

So next best thing is to go to the beach to catch your own or continue feeding them with freshwater shrimps or mollies... :idea:

Cheers

:lol:

yap i agreed..... :P

hmmm wat to do.... well will have to take the risk. 50/50 hehe.

hope the sponsors can bring in some "safe" supplies for the froggies...

cheers :)

• SRC Member
shawncl there alot of way to tell if fish are caught with cyanide

like eating habits colour behavior etc ..... so its kinda hard not to spot one

hmmm that is interesting ...

any tell tale sign ???

cheers :P

• SRC Member

"In aquarium centres most of these doomed fish look fine. Two signs to look for are firstly, erratic looping movements or continuous, repetitive nervous circling and secondly, a suppressed appetite. This is in fact their temporary reprieve; which is why it is important (ONCE YOU HAVE DETERMINED THAT A FISHES ORIGIN IS NOT SUSPECT) to only purchase full bellied fish which are accepting food. Often it is the cyanide caught fish's first meal that triggers their ultimate demise. Their damaged kidneys and liver are unable to perform detoxification and the fish is poisoned by it's own wastes.

Because Marine fish now undergo a 2 week quarantine period this will stop some cyanide caught fish making it to the consumer because in all likelihood a percentage will not survive that long. A suggestion is to have the fish held- upon deposit- another two weeks. This should flush out any remaining victims.

When shopping for marine fish look for understocked aquariums, ie; NOT CROWDED. Further, be cautious when there is a wide variety on offer. This can be a warning signal that the fishes are imported and almost certainly cyanide caught"

hey all, as some of u may rem, all my anglers died due to a resetting misadventure, i only left one angler now and due to pressure from my parents and my gf, (sticky floor, waste time, waste money, waste effort). i decided to bow out of the marine circle. Its a hard decision but its one i feel i have to make.

however, i still have a prob, i still have one, 1, common commerson angler left and i'm hoping that some kind soul from frogginpani club would adopt him, totally free, only condition is that u have to provide him a good home.

the size is about 3 inches give and take...very healthy...

i thank you all for all the advices i have received in this thread and hope that all ya froggies will grow and be beautiful..haha..if i can use beautiful to describe froggies...

as for my plan now...i'm gonna convert the tank into a reptilium for my star tortise...anyone who can give me advice on setting up the reptilium is welcome to pm me...haha

takers for the froggy can pm me...

thanks again

The last I seen last night, seems like he prefers to swim to the top ...this morning also. Still working will not know until reach home to see if it settles.

It is keen to eat the fish but not fast enough or the fish too fast.

• SRC Member

hmm hope the below article helps :)

cheers :D

What Is Spirulina??

spiruli1.gif

Spirulina is a blue-green algae. It is a simple, one-celled form of algae that thrives in warm, alkaline fresh-water bodies. The name "spirulina" is derived from the Latin word for "helix" or "spiral"; denoting the physical configuration of the organism when it forms swirling, microscopic strands.

Spirulina is being developed as the "food of the future" because of its amazing ability to synthesize high-quality concentrated food more efficiently than any other algae. Most notably, Spirulina is 65 to 71 percent complete protein, with all essential amino acids in perfect balance. In comparison, beef is only 22 percent protein.

Spirulina has a photosynthetic conversion rate of 8 to 10 percent, compared to only 3 percent in such land-growing plants as soybeans.

In addition, Spirulina is one of the few plant sources of vitamin B12, usually found only in animal tissues. A teaspoon of Spirulina supplies 21/2 times the Recommended Daily Allowance of vitamin B12 and contains over twice the amount of this vitamin found in an equivalent serving of liver.

Spirulina also provides high concentrations of many other nutrients - amino acids, chelated minerals, pigmentations, rhamnose sugars (complex natural plant sugars), trace elements, enzymes - that are in an easily assimilable form.

Even though it is single-celled, Spirulina is relatively large, attaining sizes of 0.5 millimeters in length. This is about 100 times the size of most other algae, which makes some individual Spirulina cells visible to the ###### eye. Furthermore, the prolific reproductive capacity of the cells and their proclivity to adhere in colonies makes Spirulina a large and easily gathered plant mass.

The algae are differentiated according to predominating colorations, and are divided into blue-green, green, red and brown. Spirulina is one of the blue-green algae due to the presence of both chlorophyll (green) and phycocyanin (blue) pigments in its cellular structure.

Even though Spirulina is distantly related to the kelp algae, it is not a sea plant. However, the fresh-water ponds and lakes it favors are notably more saline - in the range of 8 to 11 pH than ordinary lakes and cannot sustain any other forms of microorganisms. In addition, Spirulina thrives in very warm waters of 32 to 45 degrees C (approximately 85 to 112 degrees F), and has even survived in temperatures of 60 degrees C (140 degrees F)

Certain desert-adapted species will survive when their pond habitats evaporate in the intense sun, drying to a dormant state on rocks as hot as 70 degrees Centigrade (160 degrees F). In this dormant condition, the naturally blue-green algae turns a frosted white and develops a sweet flavor as its 71 percent protein structure is transformed into polysaccharide sugars by the heat.

Some scientists speculate that the "manna" of the wandering Israelites, which appeared miraculously on rocks following a devastating dry spell and was described as tasting "like wafers made with hone " may have been a form of dried, dormant Spirulina.

This ability of Spirulina to grow in hot and alkaline environments ensures its hygienic status, as no other organisms can survive to pollute the waters in which this algae thrives. Unlike the stereotypical association of microorganisms with "germs" and "scum", Spirulina is in fact one of the cleanest, most naturally sterile foods found in nature.

Its adaptation to heat also assures that Spirulina retains its nutritional value when subject to high temperatures during processing and shelf storage, unlike many plant foods that rapidly deteriorate at high temperatures.

Spirulina is also unusual among algae because it is a "nuclear plant" meaning it is on the developmental cusp between plants and animals. It is considered somewhat above plants because it does not have the hard cellulose membranes characteristic of plant cells, nor does it have a well-defined nucleus. Yet its metabolic system is based on photosynthesis, a process of direct food energy production utilizing sunlight and chlorophyll, which is typical of plant life forms.

In essence, Spirulina straddles that fork in evolutionary development when the plant and animal kingdoms differentiated. Thus it embodies the simplest form of life. In contrast, other algae such as Chlorella have developed the hard indigestible walls characteristic of plants.

:yeah::yeah::yeah:

• SRC Member
Just want to share my new froggy....

Just curious....do you dump all the damsels in as food a one time to let it choose or one by one? How often do you feed?

nice warty :D

hmmm for me i try target feeding :)

btw i can see it is quite small... how much did you pay for it ??

cheers :)