Need some advice

• SRC Member

Hi all. I hv a 2 by 1.5 by 1.5ft main tank with a 2 ft sump. I'm keeping a few fish and mostly softies.No hard corals.

I have just started dosing additives like Calcium,iodine,trace elements etc.

And my question is that is it still necessary to do a 10% weekly water change?

will it then defeat the purpose of me adding the additives.

Can anyone shed some knowledge in this case.

:thanks:

• SRC Member

Hi bro,

I guess what bro Kokhui is trying to hint to u is that you have to check your parameters 1st before dosing anything.....this is to avoid having over adding elements to your tank.

Some bros change water everyweek, be it 10%, 20%, e.t.c, some change every month or 2, some even change in 6 months :whistle ,it really depends.....I change 10% everyweek or 20% every 2 weeks as I want my livestock to have a "breath of fresh air".

So there is really no harm for you to change 10% water everyweek, just keep monitoring your parameters until such time you are super confident in your system......but remember that parameters will change as you add new lifestock

As for your nitrate problems, do read up on ways to lower your nitrates....there are countless of information here and in the internet......to begin with try this website: http://www.wetwebmedia.com/marine/index.htm

;):)

• SRC Member
Hi bro,

I guess what bro Kokhui is trying to hint to u is that you have to check your parameters 1st before dosing anything.....this is to avoid having over adding elements to your tank.

Some bros change water everyweek, be it 10%, 20%, e.t.c, some change every month or 2, some even change in 6 months :whistle ,it really depends.....I change 10% everyweek or 20% every 2 weeks as I want my livestock to have a "breath of fresh air".

So there is really no harm for you to change 10% water everyweek, just keep monitoring your parameters until such time you are super confident in your system......but remember that parameters will change as you add new lifestock

As for your nitrate problems, do read up on ways to lower your nitrates....there are countless of information here and in the internet......to begin with try this website: http://www.wetwebmedia.com/marine/index.htm

;):)

Thanks guys for all the advice.Really appreciate it. :D

• SRC Member
IMO, it is not ncecessary to dose calcium and trace lements etc for a small tank like yours.Would rather have a larger amount of water change weekly.Dosing of additives is wasteful and upsets the balance in small tanks.

Maybe after I finish all my products then i'll stop buying and just stick to water changes.

Will be much cheaper too. :P