My 2 Week old Tank

Berlch

Hi, i'm totally new to this hobby, i have friends who advise me on wat are the steps to mantain a marine tank so i decided to try on.... my tank is a cube 1.5/1.5/1.5 using a udergravel filter a skimmer and a internal filter about 5-8kg of LR. is it ok to use caniester filter for such a small tanks??<_<

post-69-1124802619.jpg

hi Thanks.... but i have another doubt.... inside the canister filter wat media must i use and can quote the price too... pretty new to marine ya? thanks.... hmmmm for such a small tank wat fishes and coral is suitable for my tank??? i dun have a chiller.... hope to heard from the expert soon...!!! :thanks:

• SRC Member
hi Thanks.... but i have another doubt.... inside the canister filter wat media must i use and can quote the price too... pretty new to marine ya? thanks.... hmmmm for such a small tank wat fishes and coral is suitable for my tank??? i dun have a chiller.... hope to heard from the expert soon...!!! :thanks:

Basically a canister comes with 2 trays, 1st layer will be the activated carbon and filter wool, 2nd layer will be fill up with corals chips. The activated carbon is necessary as it removes toxic waste and make the water more clearer and odourless. : ) The whole item may cost you around $90+ if i'm not wrong. You may consider Eheim, Dophin or Atman. : )

As for the chiller, in marine aquaria the best temperature will be 27 to 28 deg. If you could maintain that temperature, then should be fine. Another choice you could use a mini fan, but your water tends to evaporate more faster. : ) as fo my self i'm not using any chiller for my tank as my tank is at my air conditioned room.

Happy Reefing! :D

• SRC Member

hi berlch, my nano is around e same size as urs :P I use 2 mini fans to cool e water (u can c my clip on fan under my post in e nano section), temp ard 26-28 with e fan. Fan is a cheaper option to cool e water i guess B) but u will have to top up water everyday.

Without fan, my water temp is ard 29-30.5 (tank in living room, no air-con)....tink the corals n fishes wont like it in there :D

I would strongly suggest a fan as a minimum, lower temp = more oxygen in water if i m nt wrong :erm: => happy fishes :eyebrow:

Hi thanks for your useful information maybe i will be getting the canister filter over the weekend.... is there any filter media tat actually reduce nitrate, ammoina and algea?? thanks!!

:blink:

u can add biohome or liverock rubble in your canister.

for PO4 control, you can use rowaphos.

can add purigen too

http://www.rowausa.com/rowaphos.html

http://www.seachem.com/products/product_pages/Purigen.html

errr... u wan to buy 2nd hand canister?

have a hydor prime 30 for sale at $50. used less than 1 yr.

can control flowrate using the taps.

http://www.hydor.it/inglese/s_prime.htm

Hi thanks 4 info.... where can i buy biohome or liverock rubble ? usually how much it cost? oh i might consider but i prefer to buy 1st hands.. thanks 4 the offer.... other then those wat media can i get to get rid of nitrate, ammonia and algue... thanks!!!! :P

Hi thanks 4 info.... where can i buy biohome or liverock rubble ? usually how much it cost? oh i might consider but i prefer to buy 1st hands.. thanks 4 the offer.... other then those wat media can i get to get rid of nitrate, ammonia and algue... thanks!!!! :P

most lfs should carry biohome. as for live rock rubble... use a hammer to break liverock into small pieces lor. get biohome la :)

other than rowaphos, there are quite a few of other types of phosphate removers in the market. do a search for phosphate remover using the search function.

as for nitrate control, weekly water changes are the best.

hahaha i c.... hmmm wat fishes are recommanded to keep in my tank huh??? typical clown?? blue Tang??? and how many must i put??? thanks!!! :blink:

some recommendations http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/scateg.cfm?pCatId=2124

but for a tank that size, best to keep less than 3 small fishes.

if u hv sump, fuge or skimmer, maybe 4 small fishes.

small fishes meaning potential adult size.

not those 1 inch blue tangs okie :)

hahahaha! :lol:

btw, tang is not recommanded in nano tank, but alots of ppl success keeping it! mayb try on small size lo... ;)

try try some:-

-fire dart fish

-all kind of clown fish

-small wrasse

-goby

-& alots more....

is good not to keep so much of fish.... coz it will increase ammonia, NO2 & NO3...etc

all the best!

Hi, thanks u guys for your useful information and advise.... hmmm yesterday i jus bought 2 clown fish and 1 camel shrimp.... hmmmm i wish to keep a sea horse :P any reefer know where do get those and how to keep it healthy and alive??? hmmmm hope to hear from all the expert soon!!! B)

Hi, i heard alot about cleaner shrimp it actually help 'clean' the sand is it true... do u guys have any idea where to get those??? is the some kind starfish tat can too actually loosen the sand?? hmmmm my tank seem to be very dull in color wat advise will u guys give me in order to brigthen and beauty my tank... thanks!!! <_<

• SRC Member

HI why don't you try plenum system in the tank.

1, egg crate

2, 13" pve pipe grey type

3, green netting

Firstly, cut the egg crate to 1.4 by 1.4. Cut the pvc piping in length of 6" and secure with cable tie. Cover the egg crate with green netting to prevent sand from entering.

Lastly place it in the tank and use grade 5 sand fill up to 5 inches from the base of the tank. Use live rock and need to watch the live stock tt you intend to introduce, avoid sand digging species.

Use PL lighting. Use clip on fan, and replace water tt evaporate with kalkwasses.

Change a pail of water weekly. importantly is to get the water parameter balance.

Hope you will succeed and happy reefing.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One of my favourite fish only.

Give me one more chance....

Don't keep seahorse. You're not ready yet. Anyone just starting the hobby won't be able to keep a seahorse alive for long until they gain some kind of basic experience like maintenance of water quality, feeding the right foods, fish behavior and suitability, etc. Seahorses won't go extinct anytime soon so there's no rush to keep them just yet. Furthermore they do best in a tank without other fish or inverts that would harrass them.

Cleaner shrimp are just shrimp that sometimes serve to remove parasites from fish. They will eat uneaten food on the sand but won't clean the sand. A sea cucumber is more useful in this aspect. For a small tank you should look at a small cucumber like a tigertail cucumber. Let your tank run for another few months before you add the cucumber. The sand won't have enough nutrients as yet.

Keep an eye on the camel shrimp or if possible trade it in for the cleaner shrimp. Camel shrimp will eat corals.

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

Had very bad experience on undergravel filter.

Now using Canister filter without any problem.

If would be good to remove the undergravel filter cos it cost me the lives of my blue regal tank and a couples of other fishes due to probably toxification of hydrogen sulfide accumulation after a month or so.

Yes, have you read up on some basic husbandry skills?

There are some sticky threads here which are worth a read :lol:

But if you tame me, we shall need each other.

To me, you will be unique in all the world.

To you, I shall be unique in all the world...

You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.

-Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Keep our hobby sustainable, participate in fragging NOW

CHAETO Farmer FarmerDan.gif