NEw tAnK

mv3i

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member

thanks bro ,

well , come to think of it ... yeah the tank is more like coming to 5 months .... really cost a bomb to start up but really happy to see it up and running but still lots of room for improvement !!! :D:D

but will stick with it for sometime ;)

still got to learn the ropes from dellow more experience guys !!!

• SRC Member

Nice clams. How's the calcium demand like on your tank?

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member

hi guys ....

i'm toppping up with alk every 2/3 days and in between those days with reef builder ..... is it too much from your own experience ... i really haven't measure the calcium consumption rate yet ... i know it's better to know that and replace them accordingly as they are used up daily but still sorting some of the details for that ..

tanzy , do you do that in your tank .... how you go about doing that ???

to SInn ...

bro ... this is nothing compared with AT , robe , morgan .... can't hold a candle to those of AT , morgan , robe tanks .... theirs is awesome ... so really great for them to teach us the robe !!! robe again huh !!! ;):lol::lol::lol:

• SRC Member

I don't have enough evaporation for top off with kalkwasser to meet the calcium demands of my tank. I think it eats about 0.4 meq/L of carbonates a day. I have to use both kalkwasser for top off water and a calcium reactor to meet the calcium demands of the tank.

You say you top up alk? With what? Reef Builder is for alk!

It's best to use kalkwasser because it tops up calcium and carbonates 1:1, because they are used up 1:1. Topping up alk with carbonates or Reef Builder will caused an imbalance in the calcium to carbonate ratio. These products are meant for correcting low alk, not replenishing alk, unless you are dosing equal amounts of calcium supplements.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member

sorry , i meant kalk on 2/3 days break and then reef builder with calcium supplement on days without kalk

just confirming that it's ok that way .... any other suggestion ..... .... waiting to test my calcium later ....

currently

PH 8.3

SG1.023

dKH - 10 ( was about 8 )

CAL yet to test ( later) just top off water

temp 26C....

NO3 and ammonia ... almost zero if not !!!! ( dunno correct with the test kits)

tanzy , juz like to know how you monitor the cal consumption rate ....

and how you replendish them ... according to the directions on the bottle !!

;)

• SRC Member

Calcium consumption is easy. Test the water once and then 24hours later without adding additives inbetween. The difference is calcium used by the corals.

You could follow the instructions from the manufacturers or try to work it out yourself by trial and error. Drip a certain known amount of additives then measure the increase in alk or calcium then ajdust accordingly. Take into account the tank's calcium usage.

(2nd measurement - 1st measurement) + calcium usage = increase due to additives

e.g.

After dripping X mg or mL of calcium supplement in 24hours

(440ppm - 450ppm) + 20ppm = 10ppm

Therefore to match system calcium requirement, I must drip 2X daily.

For me, I measure the reactor effluent alkalinity, multiply that with flow over 24hours to give me the amount of alkalinity the reactor puts out a day. Then compare that with alkalinity usage and adjust flowrate or bubble count accordingly. I don't measure calcium levels because the reactor puts out alk and calcium in ratio nearly equal to coral usage.

Always give a larger buffer. If the calcium usage is 20ppm/day, dose 25ppm/day becaus as the coral grows, it will use more. Adjust monthly to 3 times a year depending on mass of coral in system.

All figures are arbitrary and are for illustration purposes. They do not represent ideal conditions. Figures will vary from system to system.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

• SRC Member

Why not kalk everyday? It's balanced and convenient.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

• SRC Member

Kalk is both for calcium and alkalinity/carbonates. It adds it in equal parts, proportional to how corals use calcium and carbonates.

Reef builder only adds alk/carbonates.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

• SRC Member

anyone using the calcium tester from salifert ... is it good/accurate ? and how much is it going for ... just saw it at sealife .... doing for $45 ... need advise first before trying !! :D

tanzy ?

AT?

Morgan ?

Phang ?

• SRC Member

hahaha.. i nearly fell off my chair when i read this.. :lol::lol:

Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.