Are aptasia dangerous?

• SRC Member

well....if they grow big ebuff....it will hop out of your tank one night and eat up your dog,cat and then clear your fridge!

:lol:

aptasia's reproduction rate is amazing and your tank will probably be overrun with them if you dun eradicate it now. they have the habit of stinging ur corals to death.

;)

• SRC Member

There is some evidence that the Aiptasia will die-off or will stop reproducing or growing once the nutrients in you water is limiting. That might be the case in your setup Kenneth, or it might be waiting to spring an ambush on your corals once u r not looking. Better to get rid of it to be safe. Try kalk-paste if its a singular aiptasia. :)

• SRC Member

better remove it, not until they swarm then you crying up and down.

They are likely pest. Hard to remove.

Unless you can chk them out 1 stone by stone, whatever juice or kalk things done, "they will be back".

So, I put in peppermint shrimps. Wow, it work! I can't see those pieces in my main tank liao, but refugium one somehow doesn't work....?

I Hit on my main tank, but Miss on my refugium.

• SRC Member

No harm if you dun want any coral or anemone in your hobbie. Otherwise all must go. They stink your coral and stuff. You can't control them, when you get the hang of this hobbie, apitasia will becomes very dull for you tank. You will like more challenges.

Equipment:

30G Corner Tank with 10G Sump, 2 x 24W artinic T5, 1 x 24W 10K, 1x 24W 20K, 3" Grade 0 sand & Live rocks, Activated Carbon, Bio-home, 2 x Seio M620, Hailea 1/2HP Chiller, Redsea Pro Skimmer

Live Stock:

Turbo Snail x 1, Green Mandarin Dragonet X 2, Blue Tang X 2, True percular x 2, 1 x Algae Bleenie, Clarke clown x 2

Reef:

1 x 2" Blue maxima, Red/Brown/Purple Mushroom (Discosoma), Pink Ricordea yuma, A little colony Brown/Green common Zoanthus, Red/Pink/Green US Zoanthus, Eagle-eye Zoathus, 14 Branch Goniopora Pandoraensis, 1 Starburst Polyps, 3 + 2 Branch Frogspawn, 4 Blasto, palythoa, Cheato

RIPs (Since June 2005):

1. Sabae clown (KO by Clarke clown) 2. 1 branch melted frogspawn 4 branch 3. Golden maxima (Ripe the base off rock by me) 4. Algae Bleenie x 2 (Starvation) 5. Blue Maxima x 1, 2 x Maxima, 1 x frogspawn, rics (Overtemp...)

Old 30G Corner Tank.

Restarted 30G Corner Tank.

• SRC Member

So, I put in peppermint shrimps. Wow, it work! I can't see those pieces in my main tank liao, but refugium one somehow doesn't work....?

I Hit on my main tank, but Miss on my refugium.

Guess the peppermint need time to get used to new home.

Now I noticed many missing aiptasia in my refugium too :D