Substrate

gift05

• SRC Member

hey guys! tank is up and running and cycling. Now as i wait for it to mature i'm plannin for the next step. In the book, "The complete book of the marine aqaurium" it does not recommend the use of any sand at all if you're not using the plenum filter method. It further states that if you really have to use some sand for decoration purpose, put it between the other rocks in the tank but not under.

Just wonderin how many reefers here follow that way, and whether those that have a constant lvl of sand at the bottom, even underneth live rock, have any probs with slime algae.

sand is nice to look at and closer to nature , between the liferock cause mean more surface area as for me i put the sand for another reason is that when i put in the liferock the weight will be evenly spread among the sand rather then really concentrate on that area alone :P

• SRC Member

yes, i second that. The sandbed actually help protect the glass. A liverock (damn heavy) broke while i was lifting it up during rescaping. Even though have sandbed, there was a loud thud. I was so worried that the glass was cracked but luckily it didnt. I think if i go BB, then really all up the lorry.

If you want sand in the main tank for decoration purposes, do not make it too deep.

About 2 inches will do

But if you tame me, we shall need each other.

To me, you will be unique in all the world.

To you, I shall be unique in all the world...

You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.

-Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Keep our hobby sustainable, participate in fragging NOW

CHAETO Farmer FarmerDan.gif

• SRC Member

Your book suggested no sand? Interesting! What is plenum filter method anyway? Anyone care to enlighten?

I thought most filtration are common sense... after a while we in the hobbie.

Equipment:

30G Corner Tank with 10G Sump, 2 x 24W artinic T5, 1 x 24W 10K, 1x 24W 20K, 3" Grade 0 sand & Live rocks, Activated Carbon, Bio-home, 2 x Seio M620, Hailea 1/2HP Chiller, Redsea Pro Skimmer

Live Stock:

Turbo Snail x 1, Green Mandarin Dragonet X 2, Blue Tang X 2, True percular x 2, 1 x Algae Bleenie, Clarke clown x 2

Reef:

1 x 2" Blue maxima, Red/Brown/Purple Mushroom (Discosoma), Pink Ricordea yuma, A little colony Brown/Green common Zoanthus, Red/Pink/Green US Zoanthus, Eagle-eye Zoathus, 14 Branch Goniopora Pandoraensis, 1 Starburst Polyps, 3 + 2 Branch Frogspawn, 4 Blasto, palythoa, Cheato

RIPs (Since June 2005):

1. Sabae clown (KO by Clarke clown) 2. 1 branch melted frogspawn 4 branch 3. Golden maxima (Ripe the base off rock by me) 4. Algae Bleenie x 2 (Starvation) 5. Blue Maxima x 1, 2 x Maxima, 1 x frogspawn, rics (Overtemp...)

Old 30G Corner Tank.

Restarted 30G Corner Tank.

• SRC Member

I used to arrange the live rocks on the glass bottom directly and then lay a thin layer of sand between rocks. Total sand depth was a mere thin 1" only. But do this with only large and fairly flat live rocks as base to avoid risk of glass stress.

From time to time, I'll siphon the sand up (eg. during periodic water changes), wash them and re-lay the sand back in the tank. Was doing this for over 3 years for my tank with no problems. And washed sand looks really nice because they're white again after each time.

But whatever way you decide, think most reefers prefer some sand (whether DSB or SSB) because they simply enhance your tank look so much.

Just my 2 cents! :)

• SRC Member

I was reading somewhere that one reefer made a starboard and silicon some substrate to starboard top (for the sand bottom look). Then he placed the cured starboard on glass bottom and re-scape live rocks on it as per normal.

I have not tried this but sounds like a really good mitigated idea. Anyone tried this before?

For example can come check out my coralline encrusted sandbed :P

I still can't believe the cucumber cannot digest these :lol:

• SRC Member
Very soon you see the artifical sandbed encrusted with coraline algae and no more natural sandbed look.

Totally agreed.

I was thinking this - how about just laying loose sand on top of starboard without any silicon sealing. And then siphoning sand up periodically and wash them and lay them back on top of starboard when required.

Pros - Less worry of glass stress from LR since starboard is there to spread LR weight.

Pros - Still have sand bed look.

Pros - No coraline algae problem since periodic washing of sand.

Cons - Wash sand periodically. This is the most sian part for me.

What you guys think?

• SRC Member

Some question for you to start thinking about:

a) How much sand do you plan to use on top of the starboard and will you periodically replace a portion of the sandbed to remove the detritus trapped in the sand?

B) Will the sand be placed everywhere or just at the places where its exposed so dat its easier for you to vacumm? How are you going to control where the sand gets shifted to?

Totally agreed.

I was thinking this - how about just laying loose sand on top of starboard without any silicon sealing. And then siphoning sand up periodically and wash them and lay them back on top of starboard when required.

Pros - Less worry of glass stress from LR since starboard is there to spread LR weight.

Pros - Still have sand bed look.

Pros - No coraline algae problem since periodic washing of sand.

Cons - Wash sand periodically. This is the most sian part for me.

What you guys think?

This method can work but maintenance is very high. Very soon you'll find yourself laxing on the maintenance and nutrients will slowly built up and then problems with high nutrients will slowly creep in.

Then you'll start thinking of BB :P

• SRC Member
Some question for you to start thinking about:

a) How much sand do you plan to use on top of the starboard and will you periodically replace a portion of the sandbed to remove the detritus trapped in the sand?

Just enough to cover the starboard. Probably around 1" or so.

B) Will the sand be placed everywhere or just at the places where its exposed so dat its easier for you to vacumm? How are you going to control where the sand gets shifted to?

Sand would be placed just at exposed places, ie. NO sand underneath LR. Guess some areas would eventually expose the starboard due to water currents and fish movement. This point I don't have solution yet. But thanks for bringing it up! :)

Go for 2 inches instead

You will find some sand being shifted after some time by fishes and currents