How Many Fish Can I Keep

scarab

I think it's an inverse relationship between no. of fishes and corals..If u wanna keep more corals, then less fish is preferable. and more fish = less corals. But if your tank has a good filtration method and provided that u dun overload your tank, i think can keep abit more fishes... it's a fine balance between all the elements....

"Save a reef, grow your own"

ok so i guess damsels are out and i gues maroon clown is also out huh? still for fishes these sizes like grammas, dottybacks and dartfish how many you reckon is optimum?

hey grammas are very terrtorial..... IMo it is not how many fish you want but it is the compatbility between each fishes

• SRC Member

anyway my original intention is as follows

a pair of maroon clown

1 damsel (the yellow belly kind)

1 moorish idol

1 royal gramma

1 copperband butterfly

1 flame angel

1 blue tang

1 six line wrasse

and maybe 1 orchid dottyback or long nosed butterfly

can help with compatability?

• SRC Member

a pair of maroon clown

1 moorish idol

1 royal gramma

1 copperband butterfly

1 flame angel

1 blue tang

1 six line wrasse

A maroon clown might sometimes host in some corals,this action might be detrimental to the coral.Butterflies and angels and prone to nipping at corals so they are quite a risk to have.As for moorish idol and cleaner wrasse,they have an extremely high mortality rate in captivity due to their eating habits.You might want to refrain from this two.IMO,tangs are a rather good choice in reef tanks.However,do read up before you buy any livestocks lest you regret later on.

a pair of maroon clown

1 moorish idol

1 royal gramma

1 copperband butterfly

1 flame angel

1 blue tang

1 six line wrasse

hey take out the moorish idol from your list......... They are very hard to keep and require superb water condition and most important or all they are not easy to feed, in fact they are pain in the ar** to feed :erm::erm:

• SRC Member

A maroon clown might sometimes host in some corals,this action might be detrimental to the coral.Butterflies and angels and prone to nipping at corals so they are quite a risk to have.As for moorish idol and cleaner wrasse,they have an extremely high mortality rate in captivity due to their eating habits.You might want to refrain from this two.IMO,tangs are a rather good choice in reef tanks.However,do read up before you buy any livestocks lest you regret later on.

but i thought you can't keep more than 1 tang in a tank. they fight right?

• SRC Member

quite a number of people here has succeeded in keeping a few tangs together.I think the trick is the order is you introduce them into the tank.Fishes have their own personalities too,dun be surprise if you find 1 with behaviour different from what is stated on the book.You should consult deepblue on this,he has lotsa tangs in his tank without any serious aggression problem.

• SRC Member
quite a number of people here has succeeded in keeping a few tangs together.I think the trick is the order is you introduce them into the tank.Fishes have their own personalities too,dun be surprise if you find 1 with behaviour different from what is stated on the book.You should consult deepblue on this,he has lotsa tangs in his tank without any serious aggression problem.

i think if you have like a lot of tangs like a whole school they'll be ok though. no comments on flame angel in a reef tank? heard they are peckish on corals but again what a beautiful fish

• SRC Member

i think if you have like a lot of tangs like a whole school they'll be ok though. no comments on flame angel in a reef tank? heard they are peckish on corals but again what a beautiful fish

you will need a big tank to school tangs.Flame angels really quite risky,although they are said to be reef safe but more often than not,they will nip on your corals.Plus once they go into the tank,its very hard to catch them out without removing every rock.

Hey if deepbluw were too add his sohal first his tank would be in serious trouble.... The trick is go for more docile one first then slowly add the fiercer one last........ hey IMo don't add two tang of different species but same shape together such as yellow and purple or fighting wil defiantely occur..........

Hey sharkbait, IMo try not to encourage him to add so much tangs as tangs are big fish and need space to swim and 3 feet is only enough for smaller species........