Monster in my tank

johntanjm

• SRC Member

My tank is rather new. Few weeks back during cycling there was an ammonia spike. so all the things inside the liverock died. the worms and crabs started falling out and what not. Disgusting. So i thought it was all over. Not a bad thing cos all the bad stuff are gone. Then today... A small movement caught my eye. On closer inspection, I realised there was this BIG MAGGOT inside the tank. Its the size of a thumb. I have no idea how i could ever miss such a big thing hiding in the rocks. I dont have pictures cos its really hard to spot. But its the size of a thumb, looks like a maggot, has legs and crawls about. maybe like a pod, but a super giant size pod. I dare not put my hand inside the tank anymore. HELP!

---------------------------------------------

The Deep Blue Sea in My HDB!

http://myfishyroomates.blogspot.com

• SRC Member

like i said.. its totally illusive. Its as big as my thumb and its been in my tank for so long and I dont even know its there. How to take picture? Its light brown. Will keep watching out for it and take the picture. damm scared it will crawl out of the tank at night and attack me

• SRC Member
damm scared it will crawl out of the tank at night and attack me

either u watching too much movies.....

or u are being funny.....

nothing out of the rocks can jump out and kill u....

the only thing i know that jumps out of water is great white (which i doubt can be a hitch hiker), flying fish... and maybe an octopus?????

Willy is in movies.... so not counted.... :D

*translated from Hokkien*

"If say no bang wall, this idiot will never ripen" - Mr Quah Siew Kow.

• SRC Member
hmm ... maggot ... i assume its soft body then ... with legs hmmm ...

does it have a mouth that looks like the "Dune" sand monster ??? :lol:

likely a sea cucumber ... lucky it is a tiger-tail ... :D

cheers

it appeared again.. but its deep in the rocks, camera cant catch it. its very sensitive to movement, so the moment i turn, it darts back into hiding. Its a maggot that looks like a dune creature. softbodied, i think it has shells like that of a shrimp. underneath is soft bodied. light brown. very very very digusting! haiz... I must take a picture!

• SRC Member

it appeared again.. but its deep in the rocks, camera cant catch it. its very sensitive to movement, so the moment i turn, it darts back into hiding. Its a maggot that looks like a dune creature. softbodied, i think it has shells like that of a shrimp. underneath is soft bodied. light brown. very very very digusting! haiz... I must take a picture!

sounds like a mantis at some point...

does it makes a knock knock sound against the glass?

*translated from Hokkien*

"If say no bang wall, this idiot will never ripen" - Mr Quah Siew Kow.

• SRC Member

:huh: could be a SEA ROACH...hee hee :D

• SRC Member
  • SRC Member

i must set a trap to lure it out. any ideas? Hey talking abt the knock knock sound, i did here some wierd noises 2 days back. Will try to lie in ambush and then take a picture tomorrow.

i must set a trap to lure it out. any ideas? Hey talking abt the knock knock sound, i did here some wierd noises 2 days back. Will try to lie in ambush and then take a picture tomorrow.

No need to ambush lah... ur tank will run away meh?!?!? :P

People do not plan to fail; Often they just fail to plan...

Wat I do to prevent myself from tearing my hair out... My stress remedy...

post-34-1105890976.jpg

• SRC Member

alright more details about this monter.. thats the head you say in the previous pic. the tail is something like that of a prawn's. And its whole body seems to be covered in a softshell like that of a prawn too. everytime it flaps its tail, it makes this 'tak tak' sound.

post-7-1127397725.jpg

• SRC Member
so what abt this mantis shrimp? does it have any negative effects?

Yup, definitely... they are likely to eat/kill/injure any other creature (fishes, shrimps etc) you put into the tank, and some people have even had the experience of having mantis shrimps crack the glass of their tank. Best to get it out ASAP before adding any other livestock into your tank..