metal dust in sand!!!!! help

• SRC Member

Is there ant danger if you did not use magnet to try to attract out all the metal bits.

Oh my goodnee, This is the 1st time I heard this and I already mixed half a bag of sand into the tank.

If I buy sand from a reputable shop it that ok?

Yah, same thing with 2 bags C-0 sand buy fr Sg Tengah lfs. Plenty 'charcoal' particles when wash new bags of sand - thot sand dirty at 1st. Then by accident one day black stuff stuck to a magnetic rod dropped into the sand. :blink:

So now I hv container of 20 kg C-0 sand unused - dare not use cos not sure if it is ok to add to main tank DSB! Tried using fridge sheet magnet to extract but give up cos never ending - always got some more stuck to magnetic surface everytime dip into sand. :angry:

• SRC Member
my advice is... try to get as many out as possible..... but its nearly impossible to comb every single grain of sand.... i guess abit wont harm a fairly huge amount of water... keyword here is get as many out as possible..

there is really alot!!!!!

hai........

scary!

• SRC Member
Is there ant danger if you did not use magnet to try to attract out all the metal bits.

Oh my goodnee, This is the 1st time I heard this and I already mixed half a bag of sand into the tank.

If I buy sand from a reputable shop it that ok?

they all come from the same supplier.

*translated from Hokkien*

"If say no bang wall, this idiot will never ripen" - Mr Quah Siew Kow.

Strange.. IF it's really iron steel, by the time one to two weeks, you should have lots of rush in your tanks. Cos only iron steel are magnetic, and iron steel is most vulnerable in salt water corrosion.

So, what might be those that is magnetic and yet not iron steel metal ? :unsure:

• SRC Member
Guessed you dun need worry too much then.

If all sand from every marine shop, the same, most likely it's some other thing beside iron steel.

As i suspected, if it is really iron steel that is magnetic, all would be rusty by now.

then what could it be?????

i thought all metal in water is no good for us?

however look at our water (pub) pipping.....also metal. :blink: