Octopus

Brunei

nah..my bro's book. using it as a white background for the pic.

My octopus is not doing very well :o:o:o

Acclimate it for 30 mins. Put it inside the tank and it

start squirting ink. It's body very placid, with constant change in

colour. Wasnt as active as it was when it was in it's original

water. sigh! :(:(:(

Will update again later...

Ok it died. I really am speechless...

I want to question myself.. why did it die?

Possibilities:

1) Acclimitation period too fast.

2) Drastic change in water chemistry.

Cant believe the life of a beautiful creature ended in my hands...

:(:(:(:sick::sick::sick:

Anyone who has tried keeping this amazing invert, care to share some stories?

As for now, i'm speehless...

post-72-1128769432.jpg

• SRC Member

HI bro, sorry to hear of the loss of ur pet Octo. :( But i recently got one too. :rolleyes: now at my culture rock fibre tank with all my rocks. This fellow is doing fine. Very active at night but day time sleeps like a pig....Before i intro into the fibre as a temp place for him, I do a check of the water perimeter (the same as the normal healthy water perimeter in a tank) Every night feed the fellow a small pc of market prawn. Thats all.

Hope u had better luck in keeping one. But i always keep the fellow in a container, to prevent it from escaping out of the tank. :lol:

A person, himself can be his own Lawyer, but he can never be his own Judge ........

• SRC Member

Bro, after a careful look at ur Octo, found out that how come ur Octo only got 4 legs instead of 8 legs? :shock:

All Octo in fact has got 8 legs :P correct me if I'm wrong.....

A person, himself can be his own Lawyer, but he can never be his own Judge ........

• SRC Member

bro.. u might want to consider keeping other equally interesting marine inverts as a pet?? octopus or octopii are infamous for having a short life in aquarium.. and also for climbing out of unproperly covered tank...

Sad to see your pet die... but hey... move on dude..

• SRC Member
Copperband Posted on Oct 8 2005, 09:21 PM

bro.. u might want to consider keeping other equally interesting marine inverts as a pet?? octopus or octopii are infamous for having a short life in aquarium.. and also for climbing out of unproperly covered tank...

Sad to see your pet die... but hey... move on dude..

Here goes the story of how i got the Octo. :whistle Went to Bedok Jetty a few nights ago. Saw this fellow in a container. Went to ask around n found out that a Pacik caught it. he mentions that later might used the Octo as a bait for fishing :eyeblur: tHOUGHT WANNA SAVE THIS FELLOW.

So I try my luck, see whether he would give me to keep as a pet.... Straightaway, he nodded his head and gave it to me.... :yeah: Brought home and kept for a few days.. In fact, I won't be keeping it instead knowing that this fellow is a sly one, always give a slip to escape. :look:

Will be releasing into the sea soon..... :peace::peace:

• SRC Member

Octopus is not easy to keep.. I think the main factor causing it to die so quickly in your tank is, as you rightly pointed out, the acclimatization process being too short. Preferable to use the drip method for around 2h or even more for it to adjust to your tank conditions.. that was what i did for my cuttlefish.

Octopi also need high levels of dissolved oxygen (since they have 3 hearts) and of course, good water quality to survive in the long term. :rolleyes:

Btw, how much did you get your octopus for? From Reborn?

To answer some questions...

Yes this deceased octopus has only 4 legs. :o

Let me share the story with you guys...

Received a sms from a friend at 2 a.m in the morning.

He said he caught a baby octopus and thought that

i might want to keep it as i am keeping marine fishes.

He happen to catch that octopus while fishing and

the reason of having only 4 legs is because the other

4 had been used by him as a fishing bait! Oh my!

But he reassured me that it'll eventually grow back.

So, i collect it from him in the afternoon. so happy.

But misfortune killed the poor creature. Such octopus

are commonly caught while fishing here in my country

Brunei. (where fishing and fish-keeping is a past-time)

Bro corneyfish,

As mentioned, my octopus is from the deep blue sea.

Wild-caught as a better term for it.

So here is a pic after i fossilized it.. :lol:

65 million years in the making..... :D

post-72-1128848637.jpg

• SRC Member

From wat I know, Recently there's a news abt a giant squid being caught by a Jap team in the deep blue sea, depth abt 900m deep. The size is abt 8-9 m long. :shock: After struggling for a few hours, the squid managed to escape but left being one of its leg.... :o

According to the report, the leg may not grow back, so that squid will only have his 7 legs for the rest of its life. ( This is wat I can recall of the news report, hope did'nt get it wrong ) :blink:

• SRC Member

yeah i watched a documentary too...last time what they did was they attached this super hardy camera to the head of a sperm whale.

Sperm whales have been known to be predators of giant squid and boatmen have seen huge sucker marks from battles and also have dissected the whales' stomaches to find huge beaks, which happen to be the mouths of squids, unless large birds with scubas live in deep waters.

So anyway, that experiment failed coz the whales dived down so deep that in the end the pressure just made the camera float upwards after about 700m.

About the sucker marks, they have seen some pretty damn huge sucker marks.