my 1st 2ft nano!

drato11

my first attempt at marine! Set up still new, intend to add LS slowly.... thanks to some of the forumers for selling their great bargains and advice!

Tank size: Standard 2 ft tank

Filtration: DIY overflow external sump with Filter wool>Bio Ball>Coral Chips (what else should i include?)

Lighting: DIY 150W 14K MH

Skimmer: simple air stone driven skimmer

LS: 2 common clown, 1 maroon clown

1 yellow tail damsel

2 cleaner shrimps

2 blue legged hermit

1 rainford

1 red coris (wrasse)

1 bicolour blenny

1 yellow anemone

1 bubble torch (not sure if name is correct, was told by seller)

1 golden gonopora (also not sure of name)

1 small frag of tree coral (given to me by a nice forumer)

1 open brian

1 tiny candy cane

KH : 0

NO2: 0

NO3: 10mg/l (all using SERA test kit)

Any suggestion on how to improve the stability of the set up? Thanks all!

post-69-1128874056.jpg

Nope, no chiller. On a tight budget, everything's DIY. Initially just wanted to set up a FOWLR, but can't stand the temptation of corals! haha

Slowly learning from the forumers here. Will only add more corals when the existing ones looks healthy and growing. So far so good, they're opening up well for a wk oredi.

Cheers!

• SRC Member

eh bro...MH on a 2ft without chiller doesn't sound like a good idea to me man...got any fans at least? did you do a temperature check? Also your return pipe i think it's not sealed properly, u have air bubbles going into your tank, check for leakages where air might be seeping in.

Hi dreamzcape, thanks for your advice.

The tank is set up in my office with Air-con, that's why didn't get a chiller.

The inlet pipe has air bubble as my DIY sump is overflow rather than below the tank. This is due to the tank not having a drilled hole for water to go into the sump. Instead I used an internal pump to draw water out of the tank into my sump by the side of the tank, then allow the water to flow out thru the pipe back into the tank, hence the air bubble. Is air bubble in the tank consider bad? I thought that will provide oxygen exchange in the tank?

1 more question. How do you guys "attach" your corals to the rocks securely? Mine has been toppled over twice oredi, think it's by the hermits. Just afraid that if it happen a few more times, the coral may not take the shock.

Hi dreamzcape, thanks for your advice.

The tank is set up in my office with Air-con, that's why didn't get a chiller.

The inlet pipe has air bubble as my DIY sump is overflow rather than below the tank. This is due to the tank not having a drilled hole for water to go into the sump. Instead I used an internal pump to draw water out of the tank into my sump by the side of the tank, then allow the water to flow out thru the pipe back into the tank, hence the air bubble. Is air bubble in the tank consider bad? I thought that will provide oxygen exchange in the tank?

1 more question. How do you guys "attach" your corals to the rocks securely? Mine has been toppled over twice oredi, think it's by the hermits. Just afraid that if it happen a few more times, the coral may not take the shock.

air bubbles will not have adverse effect to the eco system . it's for viewing pleasure purpose man

gas exchange occur at the surface of the water , adding bubbles to the water may increase oxygen quantity , but maybe a small fraction. agitation of water surface will have a good gas exchange to allow sufficient O2 in the system.

i believe most of us dun really use bond to glue to the live rock but rather let the coral sit in a firm position . dropping the coral a few time may stress the coral and the part that is not exposed properly to the water may die off too .

find a suitable position for the coral , a firm one where snail nor hermit can kachio till it drop off from some height.

just some suggestion , maybe can change the blue background to a black one ?? :peace:

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Lighting: AI hydra 52HD

Skimmer: Deltec SC 1455

Reactor: Minimax; rowaphos

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

Wave Maker: MP 40 WQD

Return pump: Eheim 1262

Chiller: Arctica 1/10 hp

A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel -- Proverbs 12:10

anyway using large coral chip as sandbed may pose some nitrate problem as a lot of detrius may be trapped. :peace:

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Lighting: AI hydra 52HD

Skimmer: Deltec SC 1455

Reactor: Minimax; rowaphos

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

Wave Maker: MP 40 WQD

Return pump: Eheim 1262

Chiller: Arctica 1/10 hp

A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel -- Proverbs 12:10

• SRC Member

hmm...the office is it air conditioned all the time? large temperature swing may stress livestock in my opinion so just wondering.maybe you'd like to just get a digital temp probe to monitor abit.

Anyway on the air bubbles, i get what u mean, can see the pump on the bottom right of the tank.btw your pump will be adding heat to the water so just recommending you check the temp.

On another note, have you considered the what if situations?

like what if your pump stops working? enough tank volume to prevent flooding?what about bout back siphoning from the pump?

Then the reverse situation would be what if(touch wood) your return pipe gets clogged by something?your tank will start to empty itself into your sump so is there enough buffer volume?

Just some stuff for you to think about but other than that, looks like a nice beginning. Remember to try to keep your bioballs and coral chips dirt free if not, nitrate factory. can try to wash one batch at the time so u have no major bacterial losses