bristle worm...

aquarix

Calling out all the reefer out there....

im having a big problem with bristleworm... while feeding my bubble, 3 anemone n cleaner shrimp with small pieces of shrimp... the cleaner accidently drop the shrimp on the sand bed... i left it there thinking my 2 hermit crab will eat it... OUT OF SUDDEN a bristleworm came out of the LR n bring the shrimp 2 the LR... So disguisting....

Is there any problem having a bristleworm in the tank? Anyone know how to trap it?

Need help urgently...

• SRC Member
Calling out all the reefer out there....

im having a big problem with bristleworm... while feeding my bubble, 3 anemone n cleaner shrimp with small pieces of shrimp... the cleaner accidently drop the shrimp on the sand bed... i left it there thinking my 2 hermit crab will eat it... OUT OF SUDDEN a bristleworm came out of the LR n bring the shrimp 2 the LR... So disguisting....

Is there any problem having a bristleworm in the tank? Anyone know how to trap it?

Need help urgently...

One way i noe is take out e LR n drip it in fresh water...It will most likely crawl out..keke...But all e Gd bat on ur LR might be gone oso.... ;)

• SRC Member

I did the freshwater dip once and can see all the bristle in the rock hiding crawl out but the thing is that some of them died inside their home. Hence they will rot and your ammonia will also rise.

If you are thinking of doing it just make sure that your carbon is enough and your skimmer can take it.

Good luck.

• SRC Member

they are generally good cleaner crew too. Apart from its "ugliness", or you suspect (probably having a prejuidce onto them) them cause problem, then can try the trap as the bro above mentioned. Else, left them be.

I wish I have such "buggy" in my DSB too.

• SRC Member

well they've been recognized as useful cleanup crew..

but of coz they're always blacksheep

check out

http://www.reefland.com/rho/0305/medprod3.php

and also 3 other articles on bristle worm

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-03/rs/index.htm

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-04/rs/index.htm

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-05/rs/index.htm

Bristleworm are really ugly creatures but useful scavengers!  they will not attack corals unless of course the coral are dying or have open woulds  :)

http://www.marineland.com/seascope/ss2004_issue4.pdf

See page 4 of the PDF file for more info. ;)

I have witness bristleworms attacking my snails. I have had 4 dead snails with bristleworms in their shells. When they are hungry, they look for food. When there are no leftovers, they have no choice but to take on anemones, corals and snails.

Be careful when you catch them. Don't use your bare hands! My uncle's finger swell up when he was bitten by the worm. He described the bite as "intensely painful".

I tried to clear the worms but tempting it with squid (sotong). The bastard is smart, it won't eat outside the LR but will try to pull it back into its cave. The bastard is damn strong, and almost got the squid off my fork. It can see you. When you try to cut it with a pair of scissors, it will know and backoff.

It took me 1 hour before I manage to catch the bastard. Basically, I tempted it out of its cave for a length of 6 inches!!! Then I placed my scissors right at the end where it can't see it. Cut! The worm didn't break into 2 but got stuck in my scissors. It was really gross as it secreted transparent sticky glue and purple blood. I took it out and place it in a bowl. Took some photos and measured its length. It was 7 inches.

And I thought my tank was free from worms... Recently I checked my LRs and found worms again. Sigh, and I took of of the smaller LRs out and examined it closely. WTF! There was a mummy worm with very tiny baby worms around! I wanna puke. I just threw the LR into the bin.

I hate these worms, they give me the creeps. I'm going to exterminate them this coming December. I'm posting a thread on this in another forum. ;)

(~ cci[RR]us ~)
A pair of Nemos :: Deep Sand Bed
Solite 2x24W T5 :: Prizm Skimmer with Overflow attachment

• SRC Member

There certain species of the worms do predate on living stocks, but most generally are harmless - being scanvenger.

That's where Dr Ron expertise will be valueble with his ID skills and experiences, to tell whether a bug is good or evil - to our beloved tank.

Anyway if you really distaste them, the traps would be useful. And sounds to me that's your final call.