clam feed on?

potomotrygon

i bot a corceas clam but wondering wat does it feed on? zooplakton?

hey bros ... does clam release web to "capture" food?

coz i notice mind have some "web" like stuff floating on the

mantle of the clam. the nearest coral to the clam is zoos.

cheers

That stuff is called pseudofaeces. Basically it's mucus secreted by the clam mixed with detritus that has settled on the clam. That's how they prevent detritus from settling on them.

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

• SRC Member
T5 HO can keep clam?

I tried before when i just started( newbie day ) the colour

cannot maintain and become pale.

I guess you should try to put as close to the light as possible.

But on the other hand some reefer use t5, i think t5 user will

have better explanation. ;)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • SRC Member
Hi Bros,

how do i feed the clams with frozen phyto? do I mix it with my tank water and target feed (the clams close up when I do so).

thanks for your advice.

nope....you cannot target feed that way. For the smaller clams that you can move, prepare a seperate contianer with your tank water and bubble air-stone. Does the phyto into the water and place the clams there. after sometme if you see the water clear up, you can place the clams back to the tank....only need to feed about once every 1-2 week or longer....just make sure you place them back to the same position back to your main tank.

• SRC Member

hi there bro potomotrygon,

tridacnid clams, like croceas, maximas, deresas and squamosas, are all primarily photosynthetic, and are able to exceed their carbon budget purely via photosynthesis, with the aid of their symbiotic algaes called zooallanthae- that is, they are able to obtain more than enough food through photosynthesis. thus, good lightings, along with good water conditions, is crucial to keeping clams.

if youre using HO-T5 tubes, it is important to get the better quality tubes, in my opinion, preferably ATi or D & D as these are 50/50 tubes, emitting spectrums of around 6000k and 22000k, ensuring that the PAR needs of the clams are met, whilst providing sufficient blue spectrum lights to maintain their colouration. the browning in the colouration of a clam's mantle is usually an indication of inadequate lights as the clam strives to increase its zooallanthae population to capture more light, and zoox are brown in colour.

the most important aspect that determines the usefulness of lights in our aquariums, other than the kinds of lightings themselves, is water depth. light intensity (lumens) depreciates in its strength with increasing water depth, so its an important aspect to consider when choosing lightings. lumens, on the other hand, however, increases with the use of more bulbs or tubes, so depth penetration is actually increased with more tubes, even though it seems somewhat counter-intuitive if the bulbs are of the same strength, so thats why T5 users like bro danano are able to keep sps and clams even in a tank of 2ft height as i think bro danano uses something like 9 x 54w tubes.

for my one ft height tank, thats only 2.7ft in length, and 1 ft in height (basically an elongated 2ft tank), i already use 5x39w HO-T5, so depending on your tank's specifications, hopefully that can give you a good guage of how much light is needed. if your tank is below 1.5ft in depth, a single 150w MH pendent might perhaps be a better solution for meeting the lighting needs of your clam.

for croceas, it is important as well to place the clam on a rock structure of some sort so that it can plant its byssal threads and attach itself to the hard substrate. unlike squamosas, the croceas are rock-boring clams, so they need a hard substrate to attach to. you can place it on the area you would like to see it attach to, then surround the clam with other temperary rock pieces to hold it in place whilst it attaches, then remove them later.

it has been shown that all tridacnids feed somewhat on phytoplankton, but it is not necessary, especially for the maximas and croceas, as they have adapted over time to better exploit their natural high light environments, so photosynthesis is sufficient to meet their needs. it is likewise important to maintain adequate alkalinity and calcium levels inorder for the clam to survive as it needs both alk and ca to bind calcium to grow its shell. if alk and ca is not maintained, having good lights is insufficient so do take note of that.

do check out this sample chapter about clams from a book by Calfo, bob fenner and steven pro- its really very good and provides lots of pictures to drool over too.

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/BookMatters/WWM...acnids-demo.pdf

well, hope that helps,

cheers,

ian

• 1 month later...