Tile Selection for renov

kelstorm

• SRC Member

i was told that there had been a bad quality shipment of homogenous tiles, especially those 50x50cm ones.. i was quoted based on that n when i went for tile selection wif my contractor, i was told that those 50x50cm are facing quality issues and both them n my contractor tried to push me to upgrade to 60x60cm instead. How true is this? i do not wanna be rip off for unnecessary upgrade. Pls advice. Thanks.. somehow, i felt there is some kinda of conspiracy going on...

Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member

IMHO;

Calculate

Your house floor area/ size of tile x cost of tiles = total cost.

See which is more cost effective. Personally, I find that 50x50 tiles are more difficult to find then 60x60 or 2' x 2'. Furthermore, nowadays tiles importer comes in more of the 2'x2' tiles.

dogdogsrd20060608_18_Elric%20is%20.png

bunbunsdb20071225_-8_Elroi%20is.png

webster1973%20player%20555.png

• SRC Member

Hi Neokn,

I would not know wat as the quoted price of the tiles in the initial package deal. Thus, when i was told that i had to upgrade and pay an additional of 1.8k for the bigger tiles, i was like :angry: coz this was not cater for.. the contractor should have forewarn us abt this... and not tell me on the day of selection..

nevertheless, i'm just wondering, wat is the diff, if the flr area is the same?

Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

• SRC Member
Bro,

if its not too late... change the contractor! :(

vinc,

although i just put down deposit and can forgo the deposit, the hassle of going thru the selection of contractor aint worth it lah.. sigh.. is it really true that such tiles are having quality issues?

sigh :(

• SRC Member

hi bro size is not e main issue here its WHERE e tiles are been made???

yes alot of tiles made from china is having "some" quality problems try to ask those that is made in malaysia :P

cos me WAS in Construction :P

just my 2cent view :lol:

vinc,

although i just put down deposit and can forgo the deposit, the hassle of going thru the selection of contractor aint worth it lah.. sigh.. is it really true that such tiles are having quality issues?

sigh :(

I dunno about the tiles issues but even if you change contractor, u can claim back your deposit, coz now they need to change the pricing wat.... they broke the contract...

Anyway, I can get my contractor to talk to you and I believe he can work out something real fast! :P

Call me if u need help k? :)

People do not plan to fail; Often they just fail to plan...

Wat I do to prevent myself from tearing my hair out... My stress remedy...

post-34-1105890976.jpg

• SRC Member
hi bro size is not e main issue here its WHERE e tiles are been made???

yes alot of tiles made from china is having "some" quality problems try to ask those that is made in malaysia :P

cos me WAS in Construction :P

just my 2cent view :lol:

hi alex,

those 50x50 tiles are from China, so are those 60x60.. is China tiles really that bad?

I also dun know how to tell if the tiles are from China or Malaysia or Italy for that matter.. wat if i decided to get those Italian tiles instead n they use China tiles? i wun noe also, anyway to tell??

• SRC Member
I dunno about the tiles issues but even if you change contractor, u can claim back your deposit, coz now they need to change the pricing wat.... they broke the contract...

Anyway, I can get my contractor to talk to you and I believe he can work out something real fast! :P

Call me if u need help k? :)

hi Vinc,

U might wanna check it out in case u get the same situation.. tks for ur help in advance...

• SRC Member

I guess both equate out to be almost the same cost with the later being a bit more costly, I think. Anyway, $1,500 extra is too much to ask for to upgrade your tiles from the 50x50 to 60x60. A marginal increase in price is acceptable.

$1500 / $5 (So expensive homogenours tiles that I think of) = 300pcs.

300 x 60cm sq = 18000 cm sq = 180 m sq

Is your HDB an EA? That's alot of tiles if you ask me. With more that 15% allowance for spoilt and damage during laying.

I believe your contractor might have miscalculated the amount and now they're trying to rectify by trying to phsyco you to upgrade to a different type of tiles with extra cost.

• SRC Member

I guess both equate out to be almost the same cost with the later being a bit more costly, I think. Anyway, $1,500 extra is too much to ask for to upgrade your tiles from the 50x50 to 60x60. A marginal increase in price is acceptable.

300 x 60cm sq = 18000 cm sq = 180 m sq

Is your HDB an EA? That's alot of tiles if you ask me. With more that 15% allowance for spoilt and damage during laying.

I believe your contractor might have miscalculated the amount and now they're trying to rectify by trying to phsyco you to upgrade to a different type of tiles with extra cost.

hi Neokn,

my place is 110 SqM.. according to him, bigger tiles need more skill to lay, which i think is nonsense (i just keep it to myself, anyway, is this true?)

those tiles that i seen are at max, $3.50 per sq foot, which is less than wat u quoted at $5. Damned.. :angry:

Those 50x50 tiles are like $2 per sq Ft, while those 60x60 are like $2.80-3.50 per sq ft.

so, now equate to more profit???

• SRC Member
hi Neokn,

my place is 110 SqM..  according to him, bigger tiles need more skill to lay, which i think is nonsense (i just keep it to myself, anyway, is this true?)

those tiles that i seen are at max, $3.50 per sq foot, which is less than wat u quoted at $5. Damned.. :angry:

Those 50x50 tiles are like $2 per sq Ft, while those 60x60 are like $2.80-3.50 per sq ft.

so, now equate to more profit???

Sorry, typo error there

Should be

$1500 / $5 (Some expensive homogenours tiles that I think of) = 300pcs.

Like I say, your contractor (given the benefit of doubt) might have miscalculated the total amount or they want to ripe you off.

It's always better to communciate truthfully between contractor and client. If they have miscalculated the amount then so be it, you can always find another contractor for your renovation.

Here's the catch (All contractors will hate me for this)

If you have already sign the contract with them, just tell them to comply to the contract or else. :evil::evil:

• SRC Member

may i know how much it cost to overlay the tiles for the toilet walls?

• SRC Member

Seems to me the contractor trying to pull a fast one. Why only highlight this problem after you sign the contract, shouldnt they advise you much earlier? Touch wood, later the contractor during laying of tiles say the cement provided in the contract is made in china, need you to top up to get high end cement from japan so that the tiles will stick to the floor..... :whistle

• SRC Member
Bro,

:blink::blink: Does the previous area calculation include the tiles for overlaying your toilet too?

nope.. based on rough estimation, the flr ard to be covered exclude kitchen, 2 toilets. Thus, 960sqft for $1.5k (comprises of tiles + workmanship) i find it a bit too much.. he claim that it is because it is more difficult to lay the tiles as it is bigger (dun know how true, can anyone confirm this?)

he quoted me $1.2k per toilet to overlay just the 4 walls of each toilet inclusive of workmanship + tiles!! i nearly flip!! :upsidedown::angry: Is this the market rate???

framerunner Posted on Oct 17 2005, 02:44 PM

Seems to me the contractor trying to pull a fast one. Why only highlight this problem after you sign the contract, shouldnt they advise you much earlier? Touch wood, later the contractor during laying of tiles say the cement provided in the contract is made in china, need you to top up to get high end cement from japan so that the tiles will stick to the floor..... 

wah lau, if this is the case, i need to borrow ur "pi sai" already.. hahaha.. seriously, if this is the case, i will probably terminate the contract and seek refund of the deposit.. :angry:

• SRC Member

Hi just to help you out here...

my place is 110 sqm.. according to him, bigger tiles need more skill to lay, which i think is nonsense (i just keep it to myself, anyway, is this true?)

To certain extend it is true.. for this statement as you really need skill worker to do a good job if not you might have faced some problems ... anyway 60 x 60 are quite common so that shouldn't affects much on the pricing part.

I would not know wat as the quoted price of the tiles in the initial package deal. Thus, when i was told that i had to upgrade and pay an additional of 1.8k for the bigger tiles, i was like  coz this was not cater for.. the contractor should have forewarn us abt this... and not tell me on the day of selection..

Please do not get con by this... unless they can justified it... ask the contractor what was the price for the tiles when quoted during the quotation. Normally between 50 x 50 or 60 x 60 there isn't much difference in terms of pricing ..... beside the price or the quality of the tiles are not based on dimension.... most of the local tile suppliers brought in large quantities of tiles from China these days... due to the fact that they have improved alot on the quality at the same time keeping the price competitive.... and not all tiles from Italy or Spain are good.. they have their own flaws too...

The average price of the homogenous tiles is between $2 to $3.5 per sq foot unless u choose special design tile which could go way above $4 ... so if yr contracter has quoted you on a $2 per sqft tile... and u chosen a 2.50 tiles... for your area... of 110 sqm... it will work out to be 950 sqft minus away yr both bathrooms and kitchen.....(estimated only... the actual dimension could only confirmed if i have the floor plan) ... which means u need to top up with 950 x $0.50 = $480 POINT TO NOTE.... the labour as well as the sand and cement has already been calculated in... so even if the labour need to increase in price.. the maximum you could go is $0.50 which is another 475... so total add up will still be less then 1k....

(Sorry to say this... did you go to this contractor because he is the cheapest.... if it is then you have to be careful .... esp from what i see in the situation... your contractor is not really on yr side.... <_<<_< )

• SRC Member
Here's the catch (All contractors will hate me for this)

If you have already sign the contract with them, just tell them to comply to the contract or else. 

hi bro.. won't hate u for this lah.... :lol::lol: hmm.. ehh.. i m a designer.. or contractor... :lol::lol: so managed to get yr wrasse at PR...

• SRC Member
kelstorm:

Have you sign the contractor with them?

yes.. i hv signed the contract wif them, unfortuately.. and yes, they are the cheapest.. :(

• SRC Member
Please do not get con by this... unless they can justified it... ask the contractor what was the price for the tiles when quoted during the quotation. Normally between 50 x 50 or 60 x 60 there isn't much difference in terms of pricing ..... beside the price or the quality of the tiles are not based on dimension.... most of the local tile suppliers brought in large quantities of tiles from China these days... due to the fact that they have improved alot on the quality at the same time keeping the price competitive.... and not all tiles from Italy or Spain are good.. they have their own flaws too...

The average price of the homogenous tiles is between $2 to $3.5 per sq foot unless u choose special design tile which could go way above $4 ... so if yr contracter has quoted you on a $2 per sqft tile... and u chosen a 2.50 tiles... for your area... of 110 sqm... it will work out to be 950 sqft minus away yr both bathrooms and kitchen.....(estimated only... the actual dimension could only confirmed if i have the floor plan) ... which means u need to top up with 950 x $0.50 = $480 POINT TO NOTE.... the labour as well as the sand and cement has already been calculated in... so even if the labour need to increase in price.. the maximum you could go is $0.50 which is another 475... so total add up will still be less then 1k....

(Sorry to say this... did you go to this contractor because he is the cheapest.... if it is then you have to be careful .... esp from what i see in the situation... your contractor is not really on yr side.... <_<<_< )

If i based on ur calculation, if i were to choose $3.50 tile and based on estimated floor area to be covered is 960 sq ft, it would amt to $1440. In this case, i dun mind... :lol:

i'm pretty tempted to go for cement flooring instead.. no tiles, no worries.. save more money... <_<

• SRC Member

hi bro.. won't hate u for this lah.... :lol::lol: hmm.. ehh.. i m a designer.. or contractor... :lol::lol: so managed to get yr wrasse at PR...

:off:

My decided to commit suicide by jumping out of my tank after 3 months :cry2::cry2: . Now, I have to find another wrasse to keep my unwanted guest uncontrol again. (Damn) Sorry, since the restriction of certain lfs have being taken off, I'm confused with the acronym PR.

So is PR = Paradiz Reef

or PR = Pasir Ris?

Can pm me the price?

Cheers and if I must say, this is 1st and best hogfish that I had. He doesn't disturb most of my LS.

• SRC Member
If i based on ur calculation, if i were to choose $3.50 tile and based on estimated floor area to be covered is 960 sq ft, it would amt to $1440. In this case, i dun mind...  :lol:

i'm pretty tempted to go for cement flooring instead.. no tiles, no worries.. save more money... <_<

Pls take into consideration that your inital contract does include labour charge and tiles charges. So asking for another $1.8k, just doesn't adds up.

Loved cementing concept for the toilet, being to a friend house residing in Puggol recently and they're toilet is all cemented. Personally, I think it's cool.

• SRC Member
Pls take into consideration that your inital contract does include labour charge and tiles charges. So asking for another $1.8k, just doesn't adds up.

Loved cementing concept for the toilet, being to a friend house residing in Puggol recently and they're toilet is all cemented. Personally, I think it's cool.

as i stayed in Kampong before, i like the raw feeling.. but my fiancee cant take it.. been trying to psycho her into accepting it but to no avail... such flooring will age wif grace and the more u see it, the more u like it.. as least for me lor..

the contractor mentioned that he can remove $300 from the $1.8k to make it $1.5k... sigh.. which is via if we choose $3.50 tiles..

• SRC Member
If i based on ur calculation, if i were to choose $3.50 tile and based on estimated floor area to be covered is 960 sq ft, it would amt to $1440. In this case, i dun mind... 

i'm pretty tempted to go for cement flooring instead.. no tiles, no worries.. save more money...

oh.. if i were u .. i won't be too happy now... i think u have to be very careful and best write down all those things the contractor have said to u... cos right now.. a lot of contractor are doing this.. give u a min quotes (due to competition and most clients nowadays uses quotes as a guideline to choose contractor) and then they will try to chop you .. after u have sign the agreement... and pls note.. some of the agreement have fine print.... stating you might have to compensate the contractor.. if u void the contract.... and the compensation can be as high as 50%...

second... i won't advise you to do raw cement screeding unless you could really appreciated the look.. mostly raw cement screeding will have hairline crack surfacing once it is dried.... and they have to complete the whole house screeding at 1 go.. if u want to have a consistency in terms of appearance.... which is not really possible as there are rules and working timing listed down by HDB... which most tiler won't be able to complete it within a single day for the cement screeding...

So is PR = Paradiz Reef

yup we chat at this PR... :lol::lol: on saturday where u r looking thru the book of wrasse...