Tile Selection for renov

kelstorm

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member

oh.. if i were u .. i won't be too happy now... i think u have to be very careful and best write down all those things the contractor have said to u... cos right now.. a lot of contractor are doing this.. give u a min quotes (due to competition and most clients nowadays uses quotes as a guideline to choose contractor) and then they will try to chop you .. after u have sign the agreement... and pls note.. some of the agreement have fine print.... stating you might have to compensate the contractor.. if u void the contract.... and the compensation can be as high as 50%...

second... i won't advise you to do raw cement screeding unless you could really appreciated the look.. mostly raw cement screeding will have hairline crack surfacing once it is dried.... and they have to complete the whole house screeding at 1 go.. if u want to have a consistency in terms of appearance.... which is not really possible as there are rules and working timing listed down by HDB... which most tiler won't be able to complete it within a single day for the cement screeding...

will take a look at the contract.. worst come to worst, enforce it.. <_< , i'm taking one step at a time..

so, anybody? what is the avg cost to overlay just the 4 walls of the toilets?

just to check, before they start the renovation and all, the perspective drawings had to be done? or all perspective drawings had to be confirmed before issues such as selection of tiles etc to be done?

Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

• SRC Member
second... i won't advise you to do raw cement screeding unless you could really appreciated the look.. mostly raw cement screeding will have hairline crack surfacing once it is dried.... and they have to complete the whole house screeding at 1 go.. if u want to have a consistency in terms of appearance.... which is not really possible as there are rules and working timing listed down by HDB... which most tiler won't be able to complete it within a single day for the cement screeding...

yup we chat at this PR... :lol::lol: on saturday where u r looking thru the book of wrasse...

hmkui,

Any way to prevent the cement screening from cracking? My wife and me was thinking of renovating the toilet with this concept.

:off:

OOOOOhhhhh, so we talked. Damn, I lousy with names and pple relationship.

dogdogsrd20060608_18_Elric%20is%20.png

bunbunsdb20071225_-8_Elroi%20is.png

webster1973%20player%20555.png

• SRC Member
Anyway to prevent the cement screening from cracking? My wife and me was thinking of renovating the toilet with this concept.

i tot the cracking adds to the character? :o me talking abt hairline cracks.. not huge cracks.. :lol:

Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

• SRC Member

use something to cover it or hide it like putting a mirror or box over?? if not, if u good in art, can use the cracks as painting n paint willow ###### on it.. :lol:

• SRC Member
just to check, before they start the renovation and all, the perspective drawings had to be done? or all perspective drawings had to be confirmed before issues such as selection of tiles etc to be done?

bro.. u should ask for the detailed drawings instead of perspective.. as perspective is just an indication.. the detailed drawings are to scale and size... so ask for the detailed drawings b4 you ask them to commence work...

and as for the wall tiles.. why would you like to overlay it... i think yr contractor just out to make money from you... there might be problems which u may encounter in the near future... ( i dont know whether yr contractor has advise you on these) .. you can't be assure that the tiling works are done by skilled workers... or how good was their workmanship.. unless u can determine it... so there might be a chance of poor workmanship.. and in long run the tiles might get detached from the original wall.. and when u overlay it.. it adds on to the weight which the wall tiles are holding on.. and should there be a chance for the tiles to pop out.. .u get the wall tiles thumbling down... piece by piece... it think you should have come across newspaper where tiles pop out and wall tiles dropping down ... esp the recent case of the design and build flat.... 2nd.. the price for overlaying.. i think it is pretty ok... but should you select a more expensive wall tiles.. i think yr contractor going to up yr price... pls pls pls.. ensure.. that there won't be any additional cost... if not.. u going to pay alot more then u find a designer to do your house.. esp nowadays.. i have witnessed a lot of contractor is charging much higher then i do.... but ppl still think that contractor are cheap... <_<<_<

• SRC Member
Any way to prevent the cement screening from cracking? My wife and me was thinking of renovating the toilet with this concept.

well.. as a matter of fact... there are some application which could apply to delay the hairline crack... but again.. no one is sure about it..

• SRC Member
bro.. u should ask for the detailed drawings instead of perspective.. as perspective is just an indication.. the detailed drawings are to scale and size... so ask for the detailed drawings b4 you ask them to commence work...

and as for the wall tiles.. why would you like to overlay it... i think yr contractor just out to make money from you... there might be problems which u may encounter in the near future... ( i dont know whether yr contractor has advise you on these) .. you can't be assure that the tiling works are done by skilled workers... or how good was their workmanship.. unless u can determine it... so there might be a chance of poor workmanship.. and in long run the tiles might get detached from the original wall.. and when u overlay it.. it adds on to the weight which the wall tiles are holding on.. and should there be a chance for the tiles to pop out.. .u get the wall tiles thumbling down... piece by piece... it think you should have come across newspaper where tiles pop out and wall tiles dropping down ... esp the recent case of the design and build flat.... 2nd.. the price for overlaying.. i think it is pretty ok... but should you select a more expensive wall tiles.. i think yr contractor going to up yr price... pls pls pls.. ensure.. that there won't be any additional cost... if not.. u going to pay alot more then u find a designer to do your house.. esp nowadays.. i have witnessed a lot of contractor is charging much higher then i do.... but ppl still think that contractor are cheap... <_<<_<

detailed drawings?? hmmm.. ok, maybe i ask him to do that.. before the commencement of works...

Yes, my contractor advised me not to do up the toilets first coz u dun know whether those done by HDB is ok or not... in this case, he does have a redeeming grace.. :lol:

Thanks hmkui

• SRC Member
Yes, my contractor advised me not to do up the toilets first coz u dun know whether those done by HDB is ok or not... in this case, he does have a redeeming grace.. 

GREAT... good to hear that.. well.. just have good rapport with yr contractor.. and i think things will work out... alot of time.. things work out well when u have good rapport with ppl.. and just be reasonable.. and i think he will try his best not to incur too much cost on yr part... and hey.. since it is the cheapest.. u still got some room to play right!!!... hope you have a pleasant experience... with yr new home making ya... take care bro.. should u need further help just pm me... and it is free.. :lol::lol::lol: take care again

• SRC Member
GREAT... good to hear that.. well.. just have good rapport with yr contractor.. and i think things will work out... alot of time.. things work out well when u have good rapport with ppl.. and just be reasonable.. and i think he will try his best not to incur too much cost on yr part... and hey.. since it is the cheapest.. u still got some room to play right!!!... hope you have a pleasant experience... with yr new home making ya... take care bro.. should u need further help just pm me... and it is free.. :lol::lol::lol: take care again

basically, i'm quite ok wif him, it is just this incident that makes me a bit unhappy.. i dun like the idea that this issue had been going-on for so long and he did not tell me until the day of selection.

while it is the cheapest, i still have to factor in the wiring + lightings which once include in, might overshot my budget... :( and i'm already having very limited funds.. coz most of it is stuck at the fish tank :lol: and it is all vinc's fault :lol::lol: hahahah... j/k...

thanks for ur help hmkui...

• SRC Member
Yes, my contractor advised me not to do up the toilets first coz u dun know whether those done by HDB is ok or not...

did not read fr the 1st mail ... so dunno make sense or not :P

anyway, hdb had 1 yr warranty for new flats, so u can still get

hdb to replace anything that is done by them. A fren of mine

juz got their whole house flooring (tile) replace FOC by hdb coz

the tiles pop-up

• SRC Member
did not read fr the 1st mail ... so dunno make sense or not :P

anyway, hdb had 1 yr warranty for new flats, so u can still get

hdb to replace anything that is done by them. A fren of mine

juz got their whole house flooring (tile) replace FOC by hdb coz

the tiles pop-up

those are probably Premium flats.. makes u wonder.. paying so much for the flat, get such crappy units n need so many rectification... i had a fnd who purchased a Premium flat in Sengkang, the gout between the tiles are so bad that he decided to rip them all out n redo it..not only that, the wall tiles are like Hello Kitty Pink... my goodness, :o waste of money u might say but the workmanship of HDB is simple horrible...

RAV-65

Dunno about that... but I opt for the tiles dat's 800x800... 

wow vinc, how much u paying for them :o

those are probably Premium flats.. makes u wonder.. paying so much for the flat, get such crappy units n need so many rectification... i had a fnd who purchased a Premium flat in Sengkang, the gout between the tiles are so bad that he decided to rip them all out n redo it..not only that, the wall tiles are like Hello Kitty Pink... my goodness, :o waste of money u might say but the workmanship of HDB is simple horrible...

wow vinc, how much u paying for them :o

Dunno leh... :paiseh:

i got the impression that the price difference between the 600 and 800 is only a hundred bucks... that's wat the contractor told me... I tink my flooring all in about $4-6K... lemme chk my quotation tmr den let u know again... ;)

People do not plan to fail; Often they just fail to plan...

Wat I do to prevent myself from tearing my hair out... My stress remedy...

post-34-1105890976.jpg

• SRC Member

i think u better check.. i think might be more.. heard taht the bigger the tile, the chances of warpping is more.. how true is that?

• SRC Member

yah.. i think so too.. it is like a long piece of wood.. the longer it is, the higher chance of it to warp even if u cure it properly..

best to prevent warp, use mosaic throughout ur house.. :lol:

• SRC Member
yah.. i think so too.. it is like a long piece of wood.. the longer it is, the higher chance of it to warp even if u cure it properly..

best to prevent warp, use mosaic throughout ur house.. :lol:

mosiac will be so cool but expensive leh. :D

So how? U manage to ask ur contractor?

JC

• SRC Member
What is the price psf for ur selection? This will allows u to choose relevent 60x60 tile if u really need to change.

JC

noted.. thanks... will check wif him soon...