filtration

Hi all, just wondering whats the "ideal" filtration sequence to have maximum output..? I have seen different setups with different filtrations methods... which is more "ideal"...??

this is what i have seen from most setups.. if i am correct..

1) overflow

2) wool filter

2) bio balls/ coral chips

3) sump with live rocks/ plants

4) skimmer

5) wool filter

6) return

why some ppl put the skimmer last, as i personally feel that it should be the first filtration method..?

how abt addional stuffs like DI, FR, etc... in which sequence should they be in..?

thanks..

• SRC Member

there is no real ideal... but what I can tell you is to skip the coral chips and bio-balls... they aren't much use in the long run.

You are much better off spending your money on a better skimmer... some tanks rely purely on skimming for their filtration.

Some people go as far as not to put wool but I find a little wool to trap what the skimmer missed won't hurt, esp if you change it often.

Also, you can consider having a refugium, biological filtration using macro algae can help benefit your tank substatially...

• SRC Member

my personal preference...

oveflow, wool, skimmer, refugium, then return compartment...

preferable CR intake, FR intake is from skimmer compartment then straight to retun compartment.....

i got wierd habits..... like how i like to ja** **** **** * ***** ***** ******* ******.... :whistle

*translated from Hokkien*

"If say no bang wall, this idiot will never ripen" - Mr Quah Siew Kow.

• SRC Member
my personal preference...

oveflow, wool, skimmer, refugium, then return compartment...

preferable CR intake, FR intake is from skimmer compartment then straight to retun compartment.....

i got wierd habits..... like how i like to ja** **** **** * ***** ***** ******* ******.... :whistle

Mine would be overflow, skimmer, wool, fuge, return...

• SRC Member

Generally there are 2 types: mechanical and biological (chemical is depend on what chemical product you use, like the stuff in FR).

Most of the filteration are mechanical (IMO: skimmer belong to this type as well). Biological wise practically left the plant and LR.

IMO: you should put up the mechanical as 1st line filteration, and use biological OR chemical as last filteration.

And if you wanna run constant chemical filteration, better dont use biological. Or use chemical once awhile (if something spike up, like NO3) while running biological fulltime.

HTH