How to save petrol?

kokhui

• SRC Member

depends on your car for the grounding part, if it is old car, doing grounding may actually improve FC to some point.

my car improves it FC from 11-12 to 13-14 just on grounding mods alone, but my car is '99, and i did the grounding in '04

as for magnets, personally i feel they do not help much, judging from the mostly negative response people gives after installing

for best FC, still being lightfooted is the key, and reducing vehicle's weight(means no golf bags, no boxes of washing equipments, may even consider spare tyre removed, since you can always call for tow anywhere in singapore)

2 cents

• SRC Member

Take note of which petrol kiosk you go to and compare the 'feel' after each pump.

It is fair to average out mileage/3 pumps at kiosk A and compare with kiosk B then kiosk C.

I understand that that kiosks are given the liberty to use a lower octane to mix into a higher octane petrol as long as they keep within limits.

eg. Octane 98 . Range 96.5-98

I suspect there are some kiosks that consistently manage the limit at 96.8 so as to maximise profits.

I have been using Mobile 95 for years and i can swear that the petrol at CC Kang gives a lot more mileage than certain mobile kiosks along the BT Timah stretch.

• SRC Member

There was a recent report in Straits times about most cars not needing too high an octane. There is no absolute need to use 98 or premium petrol as they serve no purpose other than to give a smoother feel and supposedly protect the engine.

He reiterated that using higher octane may not give better mileage.

Since most of us change out vehicles within 5-7 years. You may want to save upfront costs by using the minimum octane recommended for your car make.

Also, do check out in car forums what is the best vercosity to use as engine oil. This greatly affects the petrol efficiency. The right one will most defintely give you the best mileage.

Invest in good spark plugs too! Any way they lasts for 30k of driving so you need not change them everytime you do your servicing. A lot of people don't realise this and keep throwing away perfectly good spark plugs. That amounts to about $50 or $90 each time.

• SRC Member
RAV,

If you spend so much for your car and keep it at 2000rpm, I suggest you will save more by changing it to an Altis. :lol:

Kia Picanto drivers boast of almost 24km/litre. Wait for the hybrid cars from honda and toyota and you can enjoy almost 30km/litre

• SRC Member
Didnt know Kia is so efficient :unsure:

Only the picanto which is 1 litre or less with a very small laden weight. For the size of the car, i believe their claims..that is for drivers not exceeding 55kg. ;) Anyway, it is hard to fit in if driver is taller than 1.75 and weighs more than 80kg. :lol:

there r no end to myths, legends, facts, etc into saving petrol.

if i tell u grounding ur electrical circuitry enhanced with a voltage stabilizer saves petrol, wld u believe it?

even changing a simple air intake filter to something like K&N or hurricane filters (relatively inexpensive compared to changing the whole intake) will give u HP gain and saves petrol.

........ and i dun even carry a spare tyre in my boot. :pinch:

Austin the Westie: "I may be your best friend, but you are my everything".

Lightning Strike's Back!!!

Reefkeeping Is Not My Hobby, It's My Obsession.

Austin's Birthday

.png

Only the picanto which is 1 litre or less with a very small laden weight. For the size of the car, i believe their claims..that is for drivers not exceeding 55kg. ;) Anyway, it is hard to fit in if driver is taller than 1.75 and weighs more than 80kg. :lol:

I believed that the fuel efficiency is done during a competition where the driver didn't turn on the air-con.

• SRC Member

I believed that the fuel efficiency is done during a competition where the driver didn't turn on the air-con.

>20km/litre is indeed questionable. But it should manage something like 16-18km/l on average as my previous Suzuki GTI 1.3 did that.

Small and light cars coupled with low cc really saves petrol no matter how hard you ram. Just as Big and heavy cars will use more petrol no matter how light footed.

like the shell guy who drove up to Genting(?) on one tank of petrol?

But some concluding (light-hearted!) points from this discussion:

10 ways to save fuel costs:

10. Work at petrol companies for extra discount

9. No passengers allowed - might as well remove all other car seats (excess load)

8. No golf bags - golfers take taxi

7. Install fan - cos no air-con

6. Pump at CC kang petrol kiosk :)

5. When parking, off engine and push car into parking lot

4. Put brick behind acceralator - guarantee rev below 2000rpm cos cannot press any further

3. Always drive slowly in extreme left lane (behind the lorries and trucks, but take heed, what you save on fuel may be what you have to pay for cleaning the car)

2. Lose weight - driver preferably below 55kg

and the no.1 best way to save on fuel.....

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

1. Don't drive. Stay at home and take care of fish.

:peace:

like the shell guy who drove up to Genting(?) on one tank of petrol?

But some concluding (light-hearted!) points from this discussion:

10 ways to save fuel costs:

10. Work at petrol companies for extra discount

9. No passengers allowed - might as well remove all other car seats (excess load)

8. No golf bags - golfers take taxi

7. Install fan - cos no air-con

6. Pump at CC kang petrol kiosk :)

5. When parking, off engine and push car into parking lot

4. Put brick behind acceralator - guarantee rev below 2000rpm cos cannot press any further

3. Always drive slowly in extreme left lane (behind the lorries and trucks, but take heed, what you save on fuel may be what you have to pay for cleaning the car)

2. Lose weight - driver preferably below 55kg

and the no.1 best way to save on fuel.....

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

1. Don't drive. Stay at home and take care of fish.

:peace:

Wahahaha... hilarious.... :)

People do not plan to fail; Often they just fail to plan...

Wat I do to prevent myself from tearing my hair out... My stress remedy...

post-34-1105890976.jpg

• SRC Member

Best way to save petrol is not to drive 30km to a far away place to buy fish and corals... :lol:

If drive so far, better make it worth by buying a lot. :blink:

Can save petrol by going to central area. One trip visit 4-5 LFS. :lol:

I think (marine) therefore I am

• SRC Member

after so much comments etc etc.....the best way is to "dun buy a car", what for make your life so difficult with all sorts of methods of saving petrol?

in long run, u still lose out....no matter how cheap is the car.....and even how good is the car....

:D

after so much comments etc etc.....the best way is to "dun buy a car", what for make your life so difficult with all sorts of methods of saving petrol?

in long run, u still lose out....no matter how cheap is the car.....and even how good is the car....

:D

Yup... another way, work from home... can save $$$ on public transport too! :lol: :lol:

People do not plan to fail; Often they just fail to plan...

Wat I do to prevent myself from tearing my hair out... My stress remedy...

post-34-1105890976.jpg

• 3 weeks later...