protein skimmer topic again

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member

I think the more appropriate question would be, what sort of method (or methods) is good in the production of the type of bubbles necessary for the purpose of churning out dissolved organic compounds.

My Beautiful ANGEL - Matsushima Nanako

Equipment List for 4x2x2 Tank & 3x1.5x1.5 Sump

Hagen 802 x 2, Tunze 6060, Arcadia T5 (54W x 8), Eheim 1260 (return) Eheim 1250 (Chiller), Aquabee 300 x 2 (Feed)

H&S 150-F2001 (850l Skimmer), H&S A110-F2000 (400l Skimmer), H&S 110-F1000 (1000l Sulphur/Nitrate Filter), H&S 150-F2000IA (800l Calcium Reactor)

Coralife 3X (UV Steriliser), I-Aquatic IF 312 (Fluidised Reactor), Kent Kalk Delivery, Resun CL650, Pinpoint ORP & PH Meters & Wireless Thermometer

4x2x2 Tank Thread

• SRC Member

thanks.

which method is better???

by the way, beckett and H&S are using needlewheel right?

which is better? better bubble production.

i will try to put 2 to 3 skimmer in one sump for testing soon. ( if i got alot of money. but will buy it for testing)

• SRC Member
thanks.

which method is better???

by the way, beckett and H&S are using needlewheel right?

which is better? better bubble production.

i will try to put 2 to 3 skimmer in one sump for testing soon. ( if i got alot of money. but will buy it for testing)

Beckett is a method of employment in the production of bubbles via an "injector type device" with a pump - so its not a brand of skimmer.

H&S on the otherhand is a brand of skimmer employing needlewheel for the purpose of bubble production. H&S is also a manufacturer of skimmers.

My Beautiful ANGEL - Matsushima Nanako

Equipment List for 4x2x2 Tank & 3x1.5x1.5 Sump

Hagen 802 x 2, Tunze 6060, Arcadia T5 (54W x 8), Eheim 1260 (return) Eheim 1250 (Chiller), Aquabee 300 x 2 (Feed)

H&S 150-F2001 (850l Skimmer), H&S A110-F2000 (400l Skimmer), H&S 110-F1000 (1000l Sulphur/Nitrate Filter), H&S 150-F2000IA (800l Calcium Reactor)

Coralife 3X (UV Steriliser), I-Aquatic IF 312 (Fluidised Reactor), Kent Kalk Delivery, Resun CL650, Pinpoint ORP & PH Meters & Wireless Thermometer

4x2x2 Tank Thread

From my point of view, Beckett is more suitable for large systems with heavy bioloads as the turnover rate is high as compared to needlewheels.

Needlewheels on the other hand, has its advantages of consistent bubble production and run on lesser power than the Beckett.

However, if you are not willing to spend that much on a quality needlewheel, you might be faced with the problem of the needlewheel spokes breaking and the replacement is not worth it.

But if you tame me, we shall need each other.

To me, you will be unique in all the world.

To you, I shall be unique in all the world...

You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.

-Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Keep our hobby sustainable, participate in fragging NOW

CHAETO Farmer FarmerDan.gif

• SRC Member
However, if you are not willing to spend that much on a quality needlewheel, you might be faced with the problem of the needlewheel spokes breaking and the replacement is not worth it.

A good needle wheel will not have spokes breaking etcs...

And mine is warranty for life that the spoke will never break.

A good needle wheel will not have spokes breaking etcs...

And mine is warranty for life that the spoke will never break.

Of course la, yours is titatium spokes :P:P

• SRC Member
if you have the space (and money) why not just buy a few budget skimmers (macro comes to mind) instead of 1 big expensive one?

if this theory work why not you see alot of ppls doing that..??

buying many same skimmer running in a sump will only result in 1 skimmer working and then the rest not producting anything..

when it come to skimmer it does not mean the more the merrier..

It go to the spec of the skimmer, e.g. your 4 marco can all stop producing skimmate where as I go take out these 4 marco and replace it with a H&S or D&D or BK you will see it skimming even more skimmate then what the marco can produce.

So going for a trustable spec/proven skimmer with the correct spec that meet your tank is the right way to think and get going.

just like u go fit all your pipe to be 8mm with many output.. do you think the amt of flow rate will be better then just a 25mm pipe size?

• SRC Member

letdoit-> just some fair word no offend...

lesson learn in few years of reef teach me that when it come to equipments it never pay to be going for cheaper product. Getting the right equipments take time to choose and most of the time it cost alot more $$ for those good equipments.

You have to tell yourself what you aim to achevie to reefing and on what kind of tank and the spec. Cause by giving excuse and going for cheap product, the problem will come back and hunt you and you will forever have unsolve problems.

• SRC Member

IC.

so beckett is one of the method

needlewheel is another type of method.

if yes, i will try to buy different type of method into 1 sump. see who can collect more dirt on same time.

i won't used all same brand and method skimmer ..

maybe i will try different skimmer. all suck water at same time and

will also try 1 by 1. ( one week change one skimmer) to test out.

the most i will buy 3 different type......

• SRC Member
IC.

so beckett is one of the method

needlewheel is another type of method.

if yes, i will try to buy different type of method into 1 sump. see who can collect more dirt on same time.

i won't used all same brand and method skimmer ..

maybe i will try different skimmer. all suck water at same time and

will also try 1 by 1. ( one week change one skimmer) to test out.

the most i will buy 3 different type......

wow you so rich..??? lolz.. no offend... but doing like that might as search around and get a big and expensive good skimmer will do.

• SRC Member
wow you so rich..??? lolz.. no offend... but doing like that might as search around and get a big and expensive good skimmer will do.

no la. buy 2 hand one will do.

just to test out and share infomation to all.

I don't go to hell, who will go.

someone must try all....

of course i won't buy those dual pump, dual needlewheel. that was too much.

my tank also not big. LOL

hope i can share all this infomation to all within 1 year.

more skimmer = more pump = more heat = bigger chiller LOL

Becketts are venturi

BTW, different types of skimmers take out different stuff so it's difficult to test.

Best is to employ 2 skimmers of different methods :lol:

I have my Beckett as my main skimmer and a simple airstone one in my refugium to clean up what is not taken away by the beckett

• SRC Member

if this theory work why not you see alot of ppls doing that..??

buying many same skimmer running in a sump will only result in 1 skimmer working and then the rest not producting anything..

when it come to skimmer it does not mean the more the merrier..

It go to the spec of the skimmer, e.g. your 4 marco can all stop producing skimmate where as I go take out these 4 marco and replace it with a H&S or D&D or BK you will see it skimming even more skimmate then what the marco can produce.

So going for a trustable spec/proven skimmer with the correct spec that meet your tank is the right way to think and get going.

just like u go fit all your pipe to be 8mm with many output.. do you think the amt of flow rate will be better then just a 25mm pipe size?

well firstly most people don't have space for 2 skimmers.. although I know some people have used 2 weipros before..

I don't believe 2 skimmers will not make it more efficient than 1 skimmer, it might not be a 100% increase in quality of skimmate but it's definitely better... neither do I believe that having >1 skimmer will result in only 1 skimmer working while the rest just blow bubbles....

While I agree that higher grade skimmers do produce better results but if you talk about budget, 2 lower grade ones might still be cheaper than a higher grade one assuming you have the space for it in your sump...

Some good skimmers need not be big and expensive

For in sump models, I still prefer the AquaC skimmers

AquaC is using its own patented spray injection method