AquaC Users

Diablos

• SRC Member

Hi bro,

My AquaC Ev120 is not skimming as much as i expect, can fellow AquaC users enlighten me :thanks:

I am using it on my 2ft Nano (ard 20gallons only :P ), kinda overkill i suppose and maybe tats e problem :lol:

Below is e attached pic of my ev120 in action, as u can c e sticky brown skimmate is always ard e walls of e bottom compartment....dunno y no foam is formed to push it up to e top chamber. Is this considered still ok as its still skimming??

Only time i c it happen when foam reach e top chamber is when one of my fish mati :D

These are a few reasons i can think of why there isn't much foam...dunno correct o nt.

1) Nothing much to skim in my small nano. Low bio-load onli 5 fishes.

2) Tune Wrongly??

3) Pump not powerful enuff?? i m using rio14hf (3500l/hr) as i m putting my ev120 outside e sump.

post-17-1132281727.jpg

• SRC Member
Bro,

Raise the water level in the mixing chamber by closing the gate.

When first use, it should stable in 1 to 2 weeks time.

Bro Vagabond,

Raise e water level to how high in e lower chamber???

I read some posts before and it suggest e water level to be at e point where i m using nw.....n water should not be seen in e lower chamber....

Really got no idea which is e best level :blink:

Bro,

Take out your spray injecter and check if there is any hard object blocking.

Clean your pump and chamber with vinegar, this help to ensure optimum performance :lol:

No sure about using this pump but you have to follow the instuction that the water level should be level with the internal platform before the skimmer kick in. Check their official website for the instuction manual.

Hope this helps.

• SRC Member

Bro Vagabond,

Raise e water level to how high in e lower chamber???

I read some posts before and it suggest e water level to be at e point where i m using nw.....n water should not be seen in e lower chamber....

Really got no idea which is e best level :blink:

how high, difficult to define. just try closing the ball valve half a turn at a time. foam and water level will rise, till you observe the spill out into the collection cup. then depend on whether you like skimmate dry or wet, adjust the ball valve to fine tune, then stop there at your perference, it should be your setting.

Hi bro,

My AquaC Ev120 is not skimming as much as i expect, can fellow AquaC users enlighten me :thanks:

I am using it on my 2ft Nano (ard 20gallons only :P ), kinda overkill i suppose and maybe tats e problem :lol:

Below is e attached pic of my ev120 in action, as u can c e sticky brown skimmate is always ard e walls of e bottom compartment....dunno y no foam is formed to push it up to e top chamber. Is this considered still ok as its still skimming??

Only time i c it happen when foam reach e top chamber is when one of my fish mati :D

These are a few reasons i can think of why there isn't much foam...dunno correct o nt.

1) Nothing much to skim in my small nano. Low bio-load onli 5 fishes.

2) Tune Wrongly??

3) Pump not powerful enuff?? i m using rio14hf (3500l/hr) as i m putting my ev120 outside e sump.

As mentioned:

First:

Is yr skimmer new? New skimmers need a few days to "break in". Else U can hasten the process buy washing it in warm water.

2:

Take out the injector and clean it, check if there is any snail shells or sand stuck in it. Then rinse and clean off the slim/ buildup w/ vinegar

3:

Check the air valve. Make sure it is FULLY open. Remember reading somewhere tt is is better to leave it fully open

4:

Check yr pump, is it working at full capacity or did u tune i tune it down?

5:

Check yr collection cup, make sure the overflow outlet is not obstructed. Since it will add back pressure to yr pump

6:

How high is yr skimmer above yr water level? Try to mount the outlet gate as close to the water level of the sump as possible. Having it too high above the water level will add unnecessary head pressure to the skimmer. It really affects the performance

7:

Do u add chemicals to yr tank? I find feeding and changing water will cause the skimmer to temporary cease operations

8:

Is yr settings correct?

Air valve FULLY open

Water level should be at internal platform (U'll need a torch to see, unless yr sump very bright) / or water level abt +/- 1" below the top/outer platform

Go fiddle abit with the skimmer. It's not tt hard to tune

Had a EV180 on a 1262, did a beautiful job for my 2ft cube :whistle But nowusing a killer beckett.. :evil:

• SRC Member

hi guys, thanks for e prompt replies! :thanks::thanks::bow::bow:

juz curious... izit considered skimming for my current pic above?? coz i got sticky brown stuff on e sides. :D

after reading zerocool's reply, i feel that it might be e back pressure caused by my long and winding piping for e outflow to e sump :(......although its heading downwards, its in a u-shape manner, thus causing a back pressure... no place for e skimmer in my small cabinet and sump, so put it on top of e chiller.

i will try to reconfig e piping.... rite nw, i will juz wait n c for a few more days :P

hi guys, thanks for e prompt replies! :thanks::thanks::bow::bow:

juz curious... izit considered skimming for my current pic above?? coz i got sticky brown stuff on e sides. :D

after reading zerocool's reply, i feel that it might be e back pressure caused by my long and winding piping for e outflow to e sump :(......although its heading downwards, its in a u-shape manner, thus causing a back pressure... no place for e skimmer in my small cabinet and sump, so put it on top of e chiller.

i will try to reconfig e piping.... rite nw, i will juz wait n c for a few more days :P

Yeah, it's still skimming... though not efficiently ;) dun know.

IT's hard to clean as it is not in the collection cup <_<

• SRC Member

try to get a direct pipe into the injector (<1ft long will be v.good).

Your pump is definitely sufficient as i've used that on ev180 without any problems months ago for a month. make sure also that the skimmer is raised slightly higher than the pump and is levelled.

The output of the skimmer should not be blocked also and also if all these fails, try to raise the water level to minimum level of the foam tower. and also remove the air-intake connector.

• SRC Member

Finally managed to squeezed my AquaC Evo120 into my sump after using a dustbin :P as e new sump :lol: E skimmer did not work well previously due back pressure to e outflow.

Can fellow brothers advise me if its skimming 'correctly' ... i m getting a wet skimmate at e moment. E evo120 goes crazy during each feeding session :yeah:

Intending to tune e water level down to get a drier skimmate, izit e correct way??

post-17-1132895681.jpg

• SRC Member
Finally managed to squeezed my AquaC Evo120 into my sump after using a dustbin :P as e new sump :lol: E skimmer did not work well previously due back pressure to e outflow.

Can fellow brothers advise me if its skimming 'correctly' ... i m getting a wet skimmate at e moment. E evo120 goes crazy during each feeding session :yeah:

Intending to tune e water level down to get a drier skimmate, izit e correct way??

When i was using my EV180, I only got wet skimming ;)

No matter how low i tune, it's eithre wet, else all the gunk gets collected on the riser neck instead :pinch:

But i prefer wet skimming then gunk on the riser neck which is a pain to reach to clean :angry:

U can try turning off yr skimmer during feeding times :erm: