Tunze Protein Skimmer 9010

Eudaceous

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member
i still don't get the technology behind the skimmer.. what makes it so special

I also dont get it..but to me the strength lies in the very high air-water mixture that comes into the pump. This is achieved as Tunze researched into the magnets and brushes they used. (you can get more info from reefcentral Tunze thread by Roger Vitko). The air-water mixture is even higher than Deltec APF600. Another explanation is the propeller or rotor of the pump. Its alomost like their Turbelle streams. Imagine a stream in a small box 15cm by 15cm. Imagine the turbulence?...That is why it is able to produce all sorts of bubble size..Lastly I am not sure how, thee is a small electrical charge going into the reaction chamber. This is suppose to attract heavier DOC to the walls of the chamber.

These came up during my research. Really difficult to say if it is needlewheel, venturi or downdraft etc... I gues it is a Tunze proprietary technology that fully optimise their turbelle pumps technology that they do so well. That is why the skimmer sells with the pump and the manual is rather finicky about water levels and maintenance. The pump needs to run at 100% efficiency all the time.

I hope this helps. BTW me not defending the skimmer, just my two cents worth. MAy be wrong on some parts.

• SRC Member

Update: 126 hours (5 1/2 days of firing). Its been about 36 hours without Ozone.

As you can see skimmate becoming darker. Also I notice more bubbles. In the earlier pics, bubbles can be seen at top pf cup only after feeding or when there is surface tension in the water due to dosing of chemicals, etc. Volume of skimmate produce (lower end of cup) increases drammatically. However without Oznoe, I notice clarity of the water goes down a bit la.

Anyway..your comments please..

post-14-1133257674.jpg

Could not resist this yummy looking skiimmate oozing into collection cup..

Very nice foaming!

If you take a macro shots of it and post it in a non-marine forum most will swear that its the foam from a German beer! Yum yum. :sick:

I am very convinced that this is the skimmer to keep a look out for. ;)

Thanks for sharing Eud. :thanks:

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron
Australian Institute of Marine Science

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F
Please visit us here: http://www.facebook....uaristSocietySG
Facebook Group: http://www.facebook....gid=34281892381

9020 is not available yet. But the 9015 and 9010 you can get it from our sponsor www.reefdepot.com.sg

;) HTH

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron
Australian Institute of Marine Science

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F
Please visit us here: http://www.facebook....uaristSocietySG
Facebook Group: http://www.facebook....gid=34281892381

• SRC Member

give that man a beer! no give that man a cuppa skimmate!

actually i've been wanting to upgrade my skimmer too.. Hm.. this looks like a good alternative to the monster becket... just need to convince my financial planner... i think even the 9005 is good enough for my 2.5fter...

Hi bro

Pls recommend me :unsure:

I plan to set sps tank.

Who I can trust ?

I saw the review of tunze skimmer (I think it's very nicc ) but

3) Equipment requirements:

Skimmers - big and high throughput skimmers required 3-5 tank turnover per hour (thats measured through the actual water coming out of your skimmer, not you pump. Tunze, Red Sea, Sanders, Macro, those that has foam riser tubes less than 3 inches in diameter are not up to the job. You need big H&S, Euroreef, ETSS, MTC, BIg Turboflotors and other high capacity skimmers.

• SRC Member
Hi bro

Pls recommend me :unsure:

I plan to set sps tank.

Who I can trust ?

I saw the review of tunze skimmer (I think it's very nicc ) but

HAHAHA..AS CONFUSED AS ME...HAHA...IF GOT MONEY GO FOR DELTEC AND HNS LAH...THEN WONT WRONG..IF GOT SPACE AND MONEY AND CAN HAVE LOTS OF $$$ FOR ELECTRICITY BILL...

GOT FOR A GIANT BECKETT FOR OVERKILL

I am just an average FR (fish reefing) writer. If you like my FRs, please upz my points.

• SRC Member

Dear All,

Again my two cents worth. Big is not always powerful, small is also not always effective. The debate on skimmer is always about efficiency and peroformance per dollar spent. Consider these variables when you invest in a skimmer

1) Space in sump.- I disliked all huge becketts from day one coz they are ugly. My tank is in my living room and the idea of guests seeing gunk spilling out into the collection cup is * urrgh!!* to say the least. Furthermore most becketts rely on the brute force of their pumps which consumes lots of electricity and this again contributes to noise, vibration and tuning it can be difficult. The idea of keeping all equipments in the sump cabinet is extremely important to me.

2) Cost - Yes this is important to me. If you are buying say the Deltec AP851 at $1300, again the performance must match $1300. However if it beats the $500 skimmer by 15% in terms of performance is this really worth it?.

3) Air-water mixture- I dont think diameter of foam risers play as important as a role as Air-water mixture in a skimmer. If you think about it, the best skimmer in the world is really mother nature. Nature's solution has always been simple. Air and water lots of them, over a wide surface area. The skimmer is good if it can suck in as much air as it could water and distill or funnel it into (say venturi jet, nozzle, spray, etc) and create as much turbulence as possible. This will then break down surface tension of the sea water and produce as much bubbles as possible. All the good names skimmer does this primary function very well. But the question it at what cost? and at what size? at what electrical wattage?

4) Electrical consumption - Long Run Operating cost. The Tunze at 21W is the most efficient no doubt about it...second the Deltec..last the 170W MD, Iwaki pumps that drive the becketts.

Last but not least - THERE IS NO PERFECT SKIMMER on the planet. Being men, we are always govern by big is good, or more expensive is better (Singaporean)..So in the end we need to make the call. BTW the Tunze skimmer is still not available worldwide. Even the US markets have not got it yet. This is the first shipment and the first batch produced. I am sure with more usage and more enlightened reefers who value their hard earned $$$ and who knows their facts in what constitutes a good skimmer, many people will choose the right skimmer. IF it is Tunze then I say good...if it is H&S then better.

In the end only we can feel that we have made the right decision. I welcome more debate into this better. Thank you for reading my 2 cents worth :)

• SRC Member
bro, you said "IF it is Tunze then I say good...if it is H&S then better."

Hi...no I still believe personally Tunze is the better one given the parameters I mentioned above...but I would not disagree if someone else concludes H&S is better given his own set of prameters. I am not imposing my judgement on anyone...This is personal...Every vendor, shop I go will tell me their own versions depending on the product they sell and the commission they get..Hey I understand this...still my opinions are mine...Tunze is still first class, but I can be disagreed if you have a different set of arguments...we will all be able to live together...so no offence guys :)

• SRC Member

no worries bro, i'm not saying that you are imposing your opinions. in fact i thank you for sharing with us. =)

and also helping us grade the skimmer, by offing the ozone when some reefers ask for it and stuff. its good. =)

hehe, was just wondering why you ended your previous post with H&S better. =) that's all. no worries!

1) Space in sump.- I disliked all huge becketts from day one coz they are ugly. My tank is in my living room and the idea of guests seeing gunk spilling out into the collection cup is * urrgh!!* to say the least. Furthermore most becketts rely on the brute force of their pumps which consumes lots of electricity and this again contributes to noise, vibration and tuning it can be difficult. The idea of keeping all equipments in the sump cabinet is extremely important to me.

definitely agree 100% :lol:

Thanks for your discussion and any information :)

clear and nice :bow::thanks:

• SRC Member

Ed, thats a great review. Thx!

I'm always a fan of things small and powerful. :lol:

Can you tune the skimmate to be wetter for this model. Speaking for myself, from the pic its still too dry. Thx.