Help me pls! 101 Questions

Hi all, please help me by answering as much questions as possible.

1) How long can live rocks be out of water before they cease to become live rocks? Just wondering how am I gonna transport them home if say buying big quantities from bros here.

2) After 'dying', can they be revived?

4) Nuking them. Will they die? Or are we suppose to kill them anyway? I reckon not otherwise what would be the point of buying them live?

4) Are all live rocks suppose to be those purplish/maroon rocks commonly seen? Cos I think I've seen some rocks in the photos of the bros here that are white.

5) Protein skimmers. Is it recommended to go for an overkill and get the biggest/best one can afford? Or even 2? A bit of Kiasuism kicking in. Kekeke

6) Quarantine Tank. So it means I've to set up another tank just for the purpose of quarantine new fishes/live rocks etc.? If yes is the answer, what do I do with it during times when I'm not gonna be using it for a while?

7) Electrical bills. As it is, I'm already paying $250-300 monthly for power & water and if I'm going for those stuffs that require lots of lights (the thought of installing those megawatts MH lights sends a shiver down my spine) as well as a chiller for a 4x2.5x2 tank, how much more you reckon I'm looking at monthly.

8) Tanks without any bracing whatsoever. Do bros here think it will hold in a 4 or even 5 ft state?

9) Tank cover. Is it necessary? Will the fishes jump out? Cos I think tanks without cover & bracings looks really cool.

10) Lights. If can't afford MH, whats the best alternative? PL?

101) DSB or BB Berlin? Which is better for the water?

Many thanks. Any help is much appreciated. Coffee on me anytime! Hope to meet many Reefers here. :bow:

Bro, you could drop by my place if you want as I stay in Pasir Ris too and we can have a good talk :lol:

But if you tame me, we shall need each other.

To me, you will be unique in all the world.

To you, I shall be unique in all the world...

You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.

-Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Keep our hobby sustainable, participate in fragging NOW

CHAETO Farmer FarmerDan.gif

I'm actually free everyday except Saturday evenings

PM me your contact number and I'll arrange with you as another bro would be coming over this weekend :lol:

But if you tame me, we shall need each other.

To me, you will be unique in all the world.

To you, I shall be unique in all the world...

You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.

-Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Keep our hobby sustainable, participate in fragging NOW

CHAETO Farmer FarmerDan.gif

• SRC Member
Hi all, please help me by answering as much questions as possible.

1) How long can live rocks be out of water before they cease to become live rocks? Just wondering how am I gonna transport them home if say buying big quantities from bros here.

3) Nuking them. Will they die? Or are we suppose to kill them anyway? I reckon not otherwise what would be the point of buying them live?

4) Are all live rocks suppose to be those purplish/maroon rocks commonly seen? Cos I think I've seen some rocks in the photos of the bros here that are white.

5) Protein skimmers. Is it recommended to go for an overkill and get the biggest/best one can afford? Or even 2? A bit of Kiasuism kicking in. Kekeke

6) Quarantine Tank. So it means I've to set up another tank just for the purpose of quarantine new fishes/live rocks etc.? If yes is the answer, what do I do with it during times when I'm not gonna be using it for a while?

7) Electrical bills. As it is, I'm already paying $250-300 monthly for power & water and if I'm going for those stuffs that require lots of lights (the thought of installing those megawatts MH lights sends a shiver down my spine) as well as a chiller for a 4x2.5x2 tank, how much more you reckon I'm looking at monthly.

8) Tanks without any bracing whatsoever. Do bros here think it will hold in a 4 or even 5 ft state?

9) Tank cover. Is it necessary? Will the fishes jump out? Cos I think tanks without cover & bracings looks really cool.

10) Lights. If can't afford MH, whats the best alternative? PL?

101) DSB or BB Berlin? Which is better for the water?

Many thanks. Any help is much appreciated. Coffee on me anytime! Hope to meet many Reefers here. :bow:

hi bro...try my best to ans ur qns.....IMO... :D

1) is best not to leave it out of the water for more den 15hrs.. :D

2) yes..coralines algae can still form up on the rocks...but it wil take some time..

3) nuking for awhile will be alrite for all the unwanted pest to get into ur tank..

4) yes..the more coralines algae u see which is either marron red or purplish will be gd..

5) get a overkill skmmer would be gd depending on ur budget...get the best u can get..

6) having a quarantine tank is optional to ensure that ur fish is free of disease and is feeding well b4 introducing it into ur tank.. :D ...its best to keep the water running and regular water change to refresh the medicine u are using..

7) be ready to pay perhaps a $90-$180??...

8) is best to have bracing on top n below to exercise safety precaution..a reefers nightmare here is to have tank leakage.. :P

9) tank covers are not necessary...to have more heat to be exhaust IMO..

10) the next best light is T5s HO...at least 4 tubes if u wan to go for LPS..

view my 2ft tank thread update here!!

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=36399

Tank Dimension: 24'x15'x19' with black silicon. All round 8mm.

Equipments:

Return Pump : Hailea HX6540

Skimmer/Chiller : Sicce 2500lph

Skimmer : Weipro 2011

Lightings: 4xT5s HO..2 20,000k & 2 Blue Pro(Aquaz) Retrofits

Chiller : Resun CL280

Auto Water Top Up

Life Stock:

More then 35kg of figi rocks

Blue Tang, Powder Blue Tang, Bristletooth tang, Clown Tang, Yellow Tang, Purple Tang, Flame Angel, Six Line Wrasse, Sunrise Dottyback. 2 Cleaner Shrimp

Green Bubble, Orange Yuma, Hammer, True Octopus, Acans,

Frogspawn, Green/Orange Cyannaria, Red Prata, Red Open Brain, Star Polyp, Acan Enchinata

• SRC Member

I will try to answer as many questions as possible. ;)

It depends on the way you tranpost the LRs. Don't leave them in your car with direct sunlight or high humidity. At least have the air-con on or window open. Ah-Soon from Reborn told me that even putting them in the car-boot may be too hot for LRs! :( Some reefs advise taking some newspapers, cover the top of the LRs (hopefully in a styrofoam box) and wetting the newspapers. This will help cool the LRs down.

---------------

People recommend dosing Kalkwasser for better coralline algae growth. But be careful with dosing Kalk as it will tend to disrupt your pH & Magnesium levels. In my personal experience, my Mg levels drop when I dose Kalk.

-----------

3) Nuking them. Will they die? Or are we suppose to kill them anyway? I reckon not otherwise what would be the point of buying them live?

I don't quite know what you mean by "nuking them". All LRs, which I purchase from the LFS, I usually put them through a 3-5mins Freshwater (FW) dip to get rid of all the nasty hitchhikers. Trust me, you'll be amazed by the amount of weird stuff crawling out of the LRs when you do a FW dip.

--------------

The red and purplish stuff on the LRs are coralline algae. The more the better.

---------------

11) Any good shops to recommend? Preferably in the east as I'm staying @ Pasir Ris but good to know about more shops around Singapore in general too.

You're got Reborn & Paradiz Reef at Lavender. Alot of fish farms in Pasir Ris Drive 2 like Pacific Marine & Iwarna etc. Fish farms at LCK.. Aquamarin at Jln Kayu.. Marine Life at Hong Leong Gardens.. Jireh at Ginza Plaza..

-----------

12) Any good value affordable skimmers to recommend for a 4x2x2.5 setup minus lots of live rocks?

Why minus the LRs? I'm puzzled on this. :unsure:

Anyway, the type of skimmer would depend on the type of setup you're looking at. Are you looking at a FOWLR tank (i.e. Fish Only With Live Rock)? Or a Reef setup (i.e. fishes & corals)?

Why minus the LRs? I'm puzzled on this. :unsure:

Anyway, the type of skimmer would depend on the type of setup you're looking at. Are you looking at a FOWLR tank (i.e. Fish Only With Live Rock)? Or a Reef setup (i.e. fishes & corals)?

Hi bro cityofangels, thanks for the answers too.

Firstly, I was thinking maybe start with a FOWLR setup ( start with little and add slowly ) and if everything goes well for the first year or so... then proceed into reef setup. Will this do?

Regarding the skimmer, I think I might have made a mistake. I was thinking in line of the total volume of water in the tank hence I think the mistake lies in making that assumption, hope you know what I mean.

So my question now is suppose the tank volume is 140g. Do I go for a skimmer rated for 150g and above even though the rocks might reduce the water by 50g? Meaning will a skimmer rated 100g will do or do we just go by the total tank and sump volume? Thanks again.

Wa, welcome VILLAIN™ !

U sound really excited about this new hobby ah.

I advice U to go slow a bit. Too fast & U can't enjoy the

process liao. I'm also in Pasir Ris. Mine is nano so

can't compare to your 4ft.

Cheers!!! Another reefer in Pasir Ris !!! :lol:

Hi bro. To be very very frank, I'm super excited just thinking about this.

I've been thinking since I was a kid to have a marine setup but somehow circumstances prevented me from having this hobby.

Main reasons though are A) no money B) No time. C) no confidence cos always hear people say very difficult

But I will restrain myself and do whatever necessary to have a proper setup. But still deciding on the tank size. Prefer a 3x2.5x2.5 or a 3x2.5x2 but seems quite to find as I'm looking for 2nd hand due to budget. Next will be a 4 footer but seems a bit too big and too costly for me...

Btw bro, since we're staying so near, will be good if can meet up some time. I'm @ St 21, near Loyang Point. Thanks

Best regards

• SRC Member

Firstly, I was thinking maybe start with a FOWLR setup ( start with little and add slowly ) and if everything goes well for the first year or so... then proceed into reef setup. Will this do?

Regarding the skimmer, I think I might have made a mistake. I was thinking in line of the total volume of water in the tank hence I think the mistake lies in making that assumption, hope you know what I mean.

So my question now is suppose the tank volume is 140g. Do I go for a skimmer rated for 150g and above even though the rocks might reduce the water by 50g? Meaning will a skimmer rated 100g will do or do we just go by the total tank and sump volume? Thanks again.

dun need calculate la.....get a beckett or get two needlewheels to do the job...

bro..if u wan convert into reef tank in the future..do not add fishes lyk angels,butterflies and even some triggers... :D

Equipments:

Auto Water Top Up

Life Stock:

Blue Tang, Powder Blue Tang, Bristletooth tang, Clown Tang, Yellow Tang, Purple Tang, Flame Angel, Six Line Wrasse, Sunrise Dottyback. 2 Cleaner Shrimp

Frogspawn, Green/Orange Cyannaria, Red Prata, Red Open Brain, Star Polyp, Acan Enchinata

• SRC Member

Hey no worries.. I try to help whenever I can. :)

Anyway, if you intend to keep FOWLR tank in the beginning, with the chances of converting into a reef-tank, you may want to consider the type of lighting for your tank.

Although a FOWLR tank may not need MH lights, but if you wish to keep a reef tank in the future (near future or far future?), you would require a MH light. Just something to consider about.

• SRC Member

actually....y dun u keep a reef tank directly...more tinks happening in the tank everyday for u to see... :lol:

IMO....having a fowlr next time wan to convert very hard....unless can control the temptation of nt buying angels n triggers.. :P

Equipments:

Auto Water Top Up

Life Stock:

• SRC Member

welcome bro. :) im new to this hobby as well. nt longer than 3 mths. haha. ya. Maxstar is right. do it slowly or u will nt be able to enjoy. im a gd example. so gan chiong. buy this and that end up everything get cok up.

there are many kind souls here. they are able to help whenever they can. so feel free to ask ard. be it stupid or. they will help! good luck!!!

• SRC Member
welcome bro. :) im new to this hobby as well. nt longer than 3 mths. haha. ya. Maxstar is right. do it slowly or u will nt be able to enjoy. im a gd example. so gan chiong. buy this and that end up everything get cok up.

there are many kind souls here. they are able to help whenever they can. so feel free to ask ard. be it stupid or. they will help! good luck!!!

so hows tinks coming along wif ur tank??...

Equipments:

Auto Water Top Up

Life Stock:

• SRC Member
haha. still e same lor. cycling. have yet to find a skimmer and lights. due to budget la. haha. :) urs?

mine new tank coming either tmr or fri.... :D ..cycling on new tank or the kotubuki?

Equipments:

Auto Water Top Up

Life Stock:

Erhm hi.. ok this is BAD :erm:

WHat if i bought a massive amt of LRs (to prepare for new tank) and erhm.. my current tank dun have space for them.. can i jus

1) fully submerge them in a pail/styform box with seawater away from direct sunlight for like mayb 1 wk or so?

2) need an airpump to pump air into the water? :blink:

Hi all, I'm frustrated.... I can't find a tank. Reason? Cos I'm just a poor chap so need to get tank second-hand and will prefer to have something in the region of 3x2.5x2.5 plus minus a few inches here and there....

The one acidjazz just sold will be perfect but somehow even though I left and PM him my number in his thread... He called only immediately after he sold the tank.... Talk about murphy's law! Any bro can share with me if I get a new tank maybe 2.5x2x2.5 how much will it cost me if done by a decent tank maker....? Thanks all.

Another thing I need to ask...

Is a sump or at least an overflow system a die die must have? Cos I read somewhere about the americans or was it the berlin or DSB, someone anyway 'discovered that they can have very good/ideal results' probably meaning the water parameters, just by utilizing lots of liverocks and a good skimmer...

Reason I ask is it's much easier to get a baretank than one with a sump. :) And less expensive too, which mean I can invest more in a skimmer. Speaking of which, what are the affordable good skimmers? Read somewhere the Euroreef ES or something is pretty neat but wonder will it bankrupt me? Thanks again kind bros......

Lastly pls do inform me if you happen to hear of anyone whom might be 'giving up' their tanks/setups etc....

My contact is 97502587. Thanks

Another thing I need to ask...

Is a sump or at least an overflow system a die die must have? Cos I read somewhere about the americans or was it the berlin or DSB, someone anyway 'discovered that they can have very good/ideal results' probably meaning the water parameters, just by utilizing lots of liverocks and a good skimmer...

Reason I ask is it's much easier to get a baretank than one with a sump. :) And less expensive too, which mean I can invest more in a skimmer. Speaking of which, what are the affordable good skimmers? Read somewhere the Euroreef ES or something is pretty neat but wonder will it bankrupt me? Thanks again kind bros......

Lastly pls do inform me if you happen to hear of anyone whom might be 'giving up' their tanks/setups etc....

My contact is 97502587. Thanks

i am sure many reefer here do not have a sump and their system is running well .

but a sump have many advantage over those who don't have .

while a basic aquarium has a protein skimmer and a external filter, the biological purification can be done achieved by using another natural method making use of live rocks.

live rock basically are rock collected from the wild with living organism already in situ. the base material is usually of a labyrinthine, highly porous nature and can provide space for aerobic and anaerobic bacteria to convert ammonia to nitrite and finally the less harmful nitrate. the anaerobic will then do it's job to convert nitrate to nitrogen gases which will dissipated into the atmosphere.

in the berlin method, emphasis are placed on the usage of live rocks and skimmer to rid it effectively of unwanted toxic stuff. the theory is that the protein skimmer removes organic matter even before they degenerate into ammonia.

top notch skimmer and tons of live rocks is used in berlin . so berlin might not be a cheap alternative too.

hope it help :peace:

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Lighting: AI hydra 52HD

Skimmer: Deltec SC 1455

Reactor: Minimax; rowaphos

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

Wave Maker: MP 40 WQD

Return pump: Eheim 1262

Chiller: Arctica 1/10 hp

A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel -- Proverbs 12:10