Air Con Leaking?

tayhonglee

• SRC Member

hey guys,

a few nights ago my aircon started to leak quite badly when i was about to sleep, but i didn't want to ask the aircon guy to come and service, because everytime he comes, my money leaves with him.

SO, desperate times calls for desperate measure, and because i was really desperate, i used my cheapo gravel cleaner pump, inserted the suction end into the drainage pipe, wrapped plastic bags around the entry point in order to make it air tight, and started squeezing the red pump like i have a season pass at geylang.

all kinds of disgusting slimy crap started to flow out, and after about 10 minutes of hard pumping, my air con stopped a leaking, and the crap stopped a flowing. you really have to see to believe how much slime and liquid is in the drainage pipe.

anyway, everything is working fine now. i just hope that this can last for awhile.

hope this helps you save some money!

henry

• SRC Member

not difficult actually.

first thing you got to do is to locate your drainage pipe. mine is a 3 room flat, so the drainage pipe leads into my bathroom. for homes with compressors in balconies, i am quite sure the drainage pipes are located in the balcony itself, near the floor drain.

next thing is to insert the cleaning end of the gravel cleaner into the drainage pipe itself. most likely its not going to be a good fit. get a plastic bag, roll it up into a tube, and wrap it around the entry point (in order to make it more or less airtight).

grip tightly onto the wrapped plastic bag, and use the other hand to start squeezing the air/vacuum pump.

tadaa!!! crap and slime and water should start flowing out in copious amounts.

OR, use a vacuum cleaner and suck out the slime. but that's only applicable if your vacuum can suck in liquids. next time my aircon leaks, im planning to use my 20ft water hose, stick one end in the drainage pipe, and stick the other end into my vacuum cleaner. and start ###### until the waste water reaches the halfway point of the hose. drain and repeat.

hokay....this is as detailed as i can write. hope it helps!

henry

• SRC Member

thanks for the interesting handyman tip!

gotta try that next time if ever my air-con go bonkers

haha!

to think of it..u maybe saving more than hundreds of dollars calling in "man in blue shirts wearing a cap with their arms crossed and smiling at you" to service/repair your aircons haha!

• SRC Member
And forgot to ask..when pumping, the aircon have to be switch on or off?? gUess i have to do some pumping tonight ... 

Whatever you do with electrical equip. appliances make sure they are switched off first.

I used to experience such leakages, which were often caused by blockages of the drain pipes by slime & dirt. At first I attached a hose to the outlet end of the drainpipe as tayhonglee did to suck out dirt and slime with a vacuum cleaner.

Now I clear the pipes regularly (fortnightly) squirting sufficient clorox into the draining tray and hole of the fancoil unit to get rid of slime which is often formed after some time, so that I won't be caught in the middle of the night. Once every 2 or 3 months I would stick a rubber tube (of correct fitting size) into the drain hole and pump a jet of water into it to clear the whole drain pipe of the aircon system. For those who have an air pump or vacuum cleaner that can blow air out, you need only to "blow" the slime and dirt instead of pumping water. For better effect pump in some water & clorox first and the air will force this liquid through the drain pipe.

I save lots of $$$$ by doing the above.

• SRC Member

okie.. thanks for the tips man. Anyway..u guys got any lobang for topping up aircon gas?? Aircon not cooling anymore. pls indicate the price for topping up too!hope can be topped up by tonite so can have a good slp.. tomolo must clear ippt... :( thanks bro!

• SRC Member
stuck a rubber tube into the aircon unit drain hole and flush it down with water would be a easier way and that is what the aircon man did when my aircon leak. But need to get the correct size tube and long enough the connect to a water outlet.

That this way may not be feasible to some. Portable garden pressure pumps may also be used. To avoid having to go to this measure, pour some clorox into the aircon unit drain hole regularly (at least once a month) to prevent slime from accummulating.

That this way may not be feasible to some. Portable garden pressure pumps may also be used. To avoid having to go to this measure, pour some clorox into the aircon unit drain hole regularly (at least once a month) to prevent slime from accummulating.

Is clorox a brand or the chemical name? where can get it?