DIY DI Water Purification System

May&Bruce

• SRC Member
Hi guys, just a word of caution, resins will degrade over time if not stored in cool and dehumidified enclosure. Even if stored in said conditions, the resins will not perform 100% if more than 6-8 months. Thus, don't order too much for storage...if not waste money. ;)

Thanks buddy :D

Bro Blenny are you able to answer bro Zorden's question about whether water after running through the resin is save for human consumption?

For me I think if its save for our fish it should be save for our consumption too :lol:

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member

Hi for those who are interested in the project please put you nick here hor.

1)shootsimon

2)Zorden

3)Maxstar81

4)Anthony

*maybe we shld list out how much the full cost of the project?. so more ppl will consider?. :P

i believe the cost is 50% off the commercial set rite?

will this project be done after CNY?

:thanks:

• SRC Member

I think the resins will come moist in the container. The one i saw in my chemist lab were moist and we were told to keep it that way. will double check on that.

As for drinking, I feel that there is no need to pass it thru the resins because you will strip out all minerals from the water. For drinking I would go for 5 micron or eben 1 micron sediment filter and also carbon. . . . that is my 2 cents worth.

• SRC Member

Blenny - if you use those standard filter housings like i used in my DIY system (the common housing) you will use about 1 litre per fill.

Real reefs don't have glass bottoms....(...think about it)

• SRC Member

As for confirmation out of the 25 litres that i have ordered. 15 will be for my own, 4 for May&Bruce and 6 for shootsimon. cheers

Received a note from Bayer that the name of company has changed to Lanxess but still located in 9 Benoi Sector.

• SRC Member
Hi for those who are interested in the project please put you nick here hor.

1)shootsimon

2)Zorden

3)Maxstar81

4)Anthony

*maybe we shld list out how much the full cost of the project?. so more ppl will consider?. :P

i believe the cost is 50% off the commercial set rite?

will this project be done after CNY?

:thanks:

3 x filter housings - clear plastic @$26 = S$78

1 x 5 micron sedminet filter cartridge (came with the housings)

1 x Granular Activated Carbon cartridge S$21

1 x 3.5 litre bag of mixed bed Di resin S$45 (enough for 3 fills, so that means S$15 per fill)

Output speedfit elbow: S$3.80

Input hose connector: S$1.20

Total price is S$119, including first fill of DI resin.

This amount is based on Bro Bruce's DIY.

So if we are getting it as bulk we might even get a little cheaper.

As for the resin, if we are getting the one bro blenny is using. The total price should be lower.

So conclusion is we should not be exceeding $150 per person. :lol: Excess money to buy beer and bozz :nuke:

Event most likely to start after CNY. Any objection? Dates lets poll and see which date we all can make it.

11 Feb Sat

12 Feb Sun

18 Feb Sat

• SRC Member

Shootsimon, guys.....just a comment about my experience with the 3-stage system that I DIY'ed and showed on this site....

Remember whenever you have bought activated carbon? The first time you use it it gives off black powder/dust, right? You are supposed to rinse it first before use. Well, the activated carbon cartridges also give off dust too. So I suggest that if you are using an activated carbon stage before your DI stage that you install the activtaed carbon cartridge and run water through the system for a few minutes BEFORE you put the resin in the final stage. This will stop you from blocking the DI resin with carbon dust. (I learned this the hard way!).

Real reefs don't have glass bottoms....(...think about it)

• SRC Member
Shootsimon, guys.....just a comment about my experience with the 3-stage system that I DIY'ed and showed on this site....

Remember whenever you have bought activated carbon? The first time you use it it gives off black powder/dust, right? You are supposed to rinse it first before use. Well, the activated carbon cartridges also give off dust too. So I suggest that if you are using an activated carbon stage before your DI stage that you install the activtaed carbon cartridge and run water through the system for a few minutes BEFORE you put the resin in the final stage. This will stop you from blocking the DI resin with carbon dust. (I learned this the hard way!).

Thanks dude! :lol:

• SRC Member

3 x filter housings - clear plastic @$26 = S$78

1 x 5 micron sedminet filter cartridge (came with the housings)

1 x Granular Activated Carbon cartridge S$21

1 x 3.5 litre bag of mixed bed Di resin S$45 (enough for 3 fills, so that means S$15 per fill)

Output speedfit elbow: S$3.80

Input hose connector: S$1.20

Total price is S$119, including first fill of DI resin.

This amount is based on Bro Bruce's DIY.

So if we are getting it as bulk we might even get a little cheaper.

As for the resin, if we are getting the one bro blenny is using. The total price should be lower.

So conclusion is we should not be exceeding $150 per person. :lol: Excess money to buy beer and bozz :nuke:

Event most likely to start after CNY. Any objection? Dates lets poll and see which date we all can make it.

11 Feb Sat

12 Feb Sun

18 Feb Sat

Great idea!.

at least got some angpao $$ :lol::D:P:o

• SRC Member
Hi Blenny,

Willing to let go another 3L to me from your resin balance?

Hi bro think you've missed this

Blenny

Posted: Jan 17 2006, 09:19 AM

As for confirmation out of the 25 litres that i have ordered. 15 will be for my own, 4 for May&Bruce and 6 for shootsimon. cheers

Received a note from Bayer that the name of company has changed to Lanxess but still located in 9 Benoi Sector.

I will check with bro Blenny if can order another 25 litres and share among reefers here. Maybe can start another thread about this bulk order. :lol:

• SRC Member

1)shootsimon

2)Zorden

3)Maxstar81

4)Anthony

Till date only four wants to join in to DIY the units.

Anymore before I go recce for cheaper deals of the parts.

With more qty I have more bargining power for more discounts. Will try my best :D

As for the Resin. At present I have 6L to share with the DIY project able to fill 6 units. But if we have more interested parties to joint in the DIY, I'll initiate another bulk order of the 25L resin hopefully can get some help from Bro Blenny :D

Will keep those who are interested in the Resin alone updated.

Stay tune :lol:

• SRC Member
may i know arond how much will it cost? and how much water can we distill before changing the resin?

Think the cost is less than $150. Read from the start and you will find the answer there.

An as for how many litres of water it can process, think bro Bruce is currently in the process of documenting it. :lol:

• SRC Member
how long do you think will it last for a 3x2x2 tank? a year or 2? is the resin easy to buy? will it be very expensive? sorry for all the question, student here, need to ask properly before i can ask my father.

Like I said Bro Bruce is still in the process of documenting it so don't think he can give an answer but I'm sure its similiar to those out in the market.

As for the resin there are 2 types. The ones now used by bro Bruce, think you can get easily from Hardware stores but you can double check with him. Go to Pg 3 and you will find another source.

As for the other one NM60 that bro Blenny is getting, not sure if they are the same and so far for this you'll have to order from some company with issue of a Purchase Order.

• SRC Member

shootsimon

need to do this after CNY....

get more party ......i mean more ppl...wait a while

anyway i don think have much discount lah.......

saturday, drive down to the few places to get the stuff...

I am just an average FR (fish reefing) writer. If you like my FRs, please upz my points.