2hrs of sunlight ok?

VILLAIN

Is it ok to place my tank in a part of my house where there is some sunlight coming in between around 7-9am? The light is not a big spread due to shadow of the window grills and coming in at an angle. Preferably can cos that's the only location where I can 'show off' the tank to people walking pass my flat or people staying opposite....... Kekeke. If not I'll just place the tank somewhere else or just shut the blinds.

However, as I'm a night person (to give an example, I was surfing through the old threads from 3+am till now :angel: And usually online only from between 7pm-11am) I'm planning to on my yet to purchase 4ft FL of 1 white and 1 blue from 4pm to 4am just for viewing.

On top of that, I'll be running 250w or 300w (still undecided cos need to find out more details - see below)MH from 6pm to 2am for the corals.

For the MH lights, I'm unsure on getting 2 x 150w or a single 250w. The reason is because the tank I'm most likely using but not confirm yet is a 4x1.5x1.5 footer. I'm not sure whether a single 250w can far spread enough to cover the 4ft length. Can it? If not how about this 'luminarc' or something thingy I heard from a bro here, will it spread enough?

If I use 2x150w, I feel that there's a lot of wastage due to light escaping on to the floor due to the 18" width?

Or are T5HOs enough? But than it doesn't have the 'shimmering effect'.... :cry:

Pls help cos I'm really confused on what I should do next! Many Thanks :cry2:

• SRC Member
Is it ok to place my tank in a part of my house where there is some sunlight coming in between around 7-9am? The light is not a big spread due to shadow of the window grills and coming in at an angle. Preferably can cos that's the only location where I can 'show off' the tank to people walking pass my flat or people staying opposite....... Kekeke. If not I'll just place the tank somewhere else or just shut the blinds.

It is ok. If you want algae bloom or you got alot of time to scrub the algae off. Understand the 'need' for showing off tank, trust me. I also show off my tank. Open curtains, then at night on my MH, off the rest of the lights in the living room, when people walk by my house, if they look in, they will see a tank 'floating' in mid air, due to tinted glass doors. Try to imagine, can't really show you guys, nothing in tank to show off.

However, as I'm a night person (to give an example, I was surfing through the old threads from 3+am till now 

Good for you. Wish all newbies will do that. More enlightenment that way.

For the MH lights, I'm unsure on getting 2 x 150w or a single 250w. The reason is because the tank I'm most likely using but not confirm yet is a 4x1.5x1.5 footer. I'm not sure whether a single 250w can far spread enough to cover the 4ft length. Can it?

General Guideline is 2ft, one MH. Better off getting 2 X 150W. The more the merrier.

If not how about this 'luminarc' or something thingy I heard from a bro here, will it spread enough?

Sorry. Can't really advise on that. I advise what I know and personally experience. I never use before, so I won't pretend to know and give advise on what I read elsewhere. My style is I give advice out of personal experience.

If I use 2x150w, I feel that there's a lot of wastage due to light escaping on to the floor due to the 18" width?

The luminarcs and spider reflectors serve this purpose; to 'prevent' light wastage. Refering to my previous advise, the general guideline is 2ft, 1 MH. So I guess not much is wasted? Reckon it is better than having 3 MHs for a 5 feet? Get my drift?

Or are T5HOs enough? But than it doesn't have the 'shimmering effect'.... 

Sure, shimmering is cool. But I feel that the top reason of getting a MH, should be that it is healthier for coral growth, as it is quite close to what the natural sunlight specturm gives.

Pls help cos I'm really confused on what I should do next!

I hope that I did manage to 'unconfuse' you and I hope you know what to do next.

Many Thanks

Many Welcomes.

*translated from Hokkien*

"If say no bang wall, this idiot will never ripen" - Mr Quah Siew Kow.

I hope that I did manage to 'unconfuse' you and I hope you know what to do next.

Many Welcomes.

Hi bro, thanks for taking the time for the answers. Sounds fair to me that you answer based on your experiences rather than 'hearsay' which is rather common in another forum.... ;)

Guess I will be going for the 2x150w MH then....

As for the location, I'm still going to place it as mentioned above cos I can always shut the blinds.. However, I would prefer to expose it to the sunlight just to see what's gonna happen..... :eyeblur: Is it OK? What I mean is if really kanna the algae bloom..... Can anything (easy) be done to rectify it or is it gonna be tedious.....? :unsure:

:bow::thanks:

• SRC Member

I feel that sunlight is alright. I have an external sump under direct sunlight at least 3 hours a day and it is fine. In fact the corals in the sump is healthier than those in the tank under artificial MH lights. Good luck to your new tank and enjoy the process.

• SRC Member
I feel that sunlight is alright. I have an external sump under direct sunlight at least 3 hours a day and it is fine. In fact the corals in the sump is healthier than those in the tank under artificial MH lights. Good luck to your new tank and enjoy the process.

Mine was the exact opposite. Then again, maybe because I am using 400W MHs. :P

Thanks bro. But so far from what I gather reading here and elsewhere, it seems opinion is quite divided regarding sunliight, thus I'm gonna try it out see how. Best way to learn.... :D

May I know what types of MH to go for? Single or double ended? Can I use 2 of those 70w types? Will it be sufficent those 2 MH plus 1 blue and 1 white FL?

Speaking of which, those 4ft FL lights normally comes with 2 30w tubes right? And those artinic blue or marine white tubes comes in 35 or 36w right? So can I just change the tubes like that or must modify? :thanks::bow:

• SRC Member

Double ended is said to be more 'powerful' as it is fired up from both ends, and it is said to provide a more 'even and consistent' specturm. It is so intense untill needs UV-shield glass to cover it, or something along that line.

Personally, I would go for DE, but I need 400W, and they only come in SE.

Only plus I can think about SE is the convenience of it. Just unscrew it out, throw away, screw new one in. I am using Spider reflectors.

Lights combinations are up to you. Some prefer that way, some prefer this way.

I personally would suggest 2 X 150W with 10K or maybe the new BLV 14K. Whack in 2 T5s Blue for your dawn and dusk effect.

Anyway, tubes come in standard wattages and mostly in even numbers if I am not wrong.

Then again, it could be that this old man is out of touch with technology.

Is there 400W DE yet? :P

I am using Spider reflectors.

This Spider reflectors you're using is universal? Meaning if I buy those pendant types I see alot of reefers using can use this Spider reflectors too? Or must get those retrofit or something by some of the sponsors here....?

Also what I don't get is if I hang the MHs from the ceiling, where am I gonna place the T5s? Won't the T5s be blocking a huge chunk of the MH already lomited spread?? :blink:

:thanks:

• SRC Member

Some pendant lights already have spider reflectors inside. Got to check.

Mine is very simple, just a reflector with the socket screwed straight onto my hood.

From the way you are going, I am assuming that you are not going to use a hood, am I right? Just hanging your lights there.

From what I see from other reefers who also use hanging lights, they either get a whole set with T5s or PLs already in, or they just leave the T5s on the tank edges, then hang the MH over. Blockage of MH light should be minimal this way.

Personally, i prefer the hooded way. More control.