Skimmer Cleaning

charlie

• SRC Member
Hi,

BTW, is there a way to clean the Protein Skimmer? Or it is not possible to clean it? Hope some bro can advise. Thanks

Charlie

muriatic acid 50% ; water 50%. Can be use for cleaning pumps, tubes etc, besides skimmer.

Use a long glove if you can, otherwise jus a short one. Don't attempt with any protection.

Always add acid to water, not the other way round.

You let it run(pump+skimmer) for 15 minutes. Or if want a complete clean, run it thru' bleech for 15 mins first then the acid wash. Run with plain clean water for the next 1/2 hr

In my Jebo, there are sticky, gooey stuff attached to the inside of the skimmer. Very gross, and my hands cannot fit into the skimmer to remove them.

Any ideas?

Or these stuff are harmless?

(~ cci[RR]us ~)
A pair of Nemos :: Deep Sand Bed
Solite 2x24W T5 :: Prizm Skimmer with Overflow attachment

muriatic acid 50% ; water 50%. Can be use for cleaning pumps, tubes etc, besides skimmer.

Use a long glove if you can, otherwise jus a short one. Don't attempt with any protection.

Always add acid to water, not the other way round.

You let it run(pump+skimmer) for 15 minutes. Or if want a complete clean, run it thru' bleech for 15 mins first then the acid wash. Run with plain clean water for the next 1/2 hr

Hi madmac,

Thanks for your respond. BTW where can I buy this muriatic acid? and will this acid damage the skimmer? Hope you can advise more. Thanks

Charlie

Can I use vinegar as the substitute for muriatic acid? How bout household bleach, will it work too?

(~ cci[RR]us ~)

• SRC Member
us,Dec 28 2005, 10:14 AM] In my Jebo, there are sticky, gooey stuff attached to the inside of the skimmer. Very gross, and my hands cannot fit into the skimmer to remove them.

Any ideas?

Or these stuff are harmless?

:o wah u mean u have 'neglected' the maintenance of ya skimmer since day one ? :D ...u can try using a long milk bottle steel brush to clean the inside of the skimmer neck...guarantee will work ! ;)

• SRC Member
us,Dec 29 2005, 01:10 AM] Can I use vinegar as the substitute for muriatic acid? How bout household bleach, will it work too?

I believe any acid shld be able to do the job. White vingar can alsi be used. I buy my white vinegar from NTUC and use full strength (ie w/o dilution when i cheap my coralline encrusted tunze). It works faster too.

I believe any acid shld be able to do the job. White vingar can alsi be used. I buy my white vinegar from NTUC and use full strength (ie w/o dilution when i cheap my coralline encrusted tunze). It works faster too.

Hi,

Please advise me how do you apply it? Thanks

:o wah u mean u have 'neglected' the maintenance of ya skimmer since day one ? :D ...u can try using a long milk bottle steel brush to clean the inside of the skimmer neck...guarantee will work ! ;)

I was told by some that I only need to the empty the cup of the skimmer. The inside can bochup. Oops!

Now got lots of tissue-like brown stuff stuck to the cylinders. Very gross. :(

(~ cci[RR]us ~)

• SRC Member
us,Dec 29 2005, 05:25 PM]

I was told by some that I only need to the empty the cup of the skimmer. The inside can bochup. Oops!

Now got lots of tissue-like brown stuff stuck to the cylinders. Very gross. :(

Just use an old toothbrush to brush the inside..

• SRC Member

Hi,

Please advise me how do you apply it? Thanks

take a plastic container. Pour in the white vinegar and dump in yr Tunze pump or wat ever u need to clean. As yr equipment soak in the acid, u can see bubbles form (those are CO2 gas). After abt 30 mins, take out the pump and give it a good brush. Those coralline aglae will come off. Repeat if required.

take a plastic container. Pour in the white vinegar and dump in yr Tunze pump or wat ever u need to clean. As yr equipment soak in the acid, u can see bubbles form (those are CO2 gas). After abt 30 mins, take out the pump and give it a good brush. Those coralline aglae will come off. Repeat if required.

Hi,

Thanks, will the white vinegar damage the PVC or plastic of the skimmer?

oh... i just close my eye and use my finger to do the clear up job with running water....

Hi,

I did tried using running water but it doesn't work for me, probably I've not done any cleaning for too long. Till today, the skimmer seems doesn't really skimming. you can only see lesser fine bubble. sigh!!

• SRC Member
BTW where can I buy this muriatic acid? and will this acid damage the skimmer? Hope you can advise more. Thanks

Charlie

There are some equilivent ones which you can get at some hardware shops... comes in 5L containers, for removing, cement stains, swimming pool lime deposits, etc. Shd cost btw 10-15$