Is diving for me?

blueheaven

I'm considering taking up diving instead of collecting cobwebs at home during my free time.

But my parents are kind of worried as they say it is dangerous and does not like the idea of me going overseas unchaperoned.

So what do you divers think?

Based on your experience, do you think diving bears a good extent of danger or is it just a common misconception? :huh:

But if you tame me, we shall need each other.

To me, you will be unique in all the world.

To you, I shall be unique in all the world...

You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.

-Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Keep our hobby sustainable, participate in fragging NOW

CHAETO Farmer FarmerDan.gif

• SRC Member

There is always an element of risk in every sport we take.. let alone, diving, when we are using equipment to support our journey to another realm where we are not design to breathe in the first place..

But, with good training and equipment, it is possible. However, despite so, once u are equiped with the necessary skills, it is still up to individual to dive within his/her comfortable limit and certification level and know ur body condition.. if u must, abort the dive when u not feeling well or even avoid entering the water totally.

Remember, while diving u hv ur buddy for assistance, most of the time, u are responsible for yourself and your own action.. u do not want to get into trouble and expect ur buddy to rescue u while endangering his/her life.

With diving, practise makes perfect but most imptly, dive safely...

Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

• SRC Member

may i add one more point?

diving for me is more of a get-away from normal day to day life

the experience you encountered while underwater is simply not known to non-divers

and get a group of friends to go dive as well, it would be more fun to dive rather than alone IMO

and lastly, safety is of course the most impt factor while taking up this sport

I would like to get some friends but I think their parents might be even more against it than me.

Besides, the basic course already costs around $200-$300 so I guess I'll go alone (if I ever take it up)

But do you guys think that the diving course is suitable for someone my age to attend alone?

I would like to get some friends but I think their parents might be even more against it than me.

Besides, the basic course already costs around $200-$300 so I guess I'll go alone (if I ever take it up)

But do you guys think that the diving course is suitable for someone my age to attend alone?

Diving course is ard 400+... your pricing is usually for training at pulau tioman... At ther, visibilty is poor and basically nothing much to see... Why dun pay abit more and travel to pulau tioman to dive... I learnt to dive there, PRETTY place...

IMO get at least a fren.. If you go alone, you will end up partnering someone you dunno.... Oh ya prepare to be away from home for few days.. At tioman my course is 4 days 3 nights.....

Like what other bro say... diving firstly is to enjoy.. But always remember to dive safely.... If dun feel well dun dive.. Oh ya diving not for ppl with big ego :lol::lol::lol:

Lastly if you really diving... ENJOY it

PS:i only junior open water diver.... Maybe when you finish your course, we can go diving together ;)

Haha Singapore dive at P. Hantu only $280 :P

I'm looking at going to Aur or Tioman for it but I probably can't find a friend to go

What you said quite true also... I remember AT said that skali you partner with gorilla with peanut brain, scared of water then gabra and then put your life at risk

You 1 year older than me only, maybe we can be great dive buddies once I finish the course :lol:

Haha Singapore dive at P. Hantu only $280 :P

I'm looking at going to Aur or Tioman for it but I probably can't find a friend to go

What you said quite true also... I remember AT said that skali you partner with gorilla with peanut brain, scared of water then gabra and then put your life at risk

You 1 year older than me only, maybe we can be great dive buddies once I finish the course :lol:

yes try those 2 places....

LOL.. my teacher partner be4 one super blur female teacher... Nearly cause everyone into big trouble... Now my teacher say he swear he will nv partner that lady again :lol::lol:

I took my course last year.. Come to think abt it, i quite rusty liao :lol::lol: Need to go refreshing soon :lol::lol:

Yeah we can go diving next time ;);) .. Know a few frens ard our age who dives.. Next time can cheong together ;)

hantu?

hmmm

dont reccomend it though, last time i dived there, vis was 1metre

can even see ur buddy even though he's just beside you

need any contacts for course?

i know a dive instructor with IANTD, can get quotations for courses for you

Thanks bro but finding the course should not be a problem for me :D

DA: What happened? Why almost cause everyone into trouble :huh:

• SRC Member

BH - diving itself is a risk. Just like walking across the road. eating fish ball.

Actually even if u are gathering cobwebs at hme you can go diving everyday right??

Regarding DA post Sh1t happens underwater. a leak, a ###### up u might be injured or even die.

I would RECOMMAND hantu as it is a place where u can train up ur skills.

$280 is a bt ex. got cheaper ones around. ;)

I'm considering taking up diving instead of collecting cobwebs at home during my free time.

But my parents are kind of worried as they say it is dangerous and does not like the idea of me going overseas unchaperoned.

So what do you divers think?

Based on your experience, do you think diving bears a good extent of danger or is it just a common misconception? :huh:

Facing the same prob here...But permission might be allowed after my O's ..(I hope so ) By then , i might need more Guidelines from you then. :D

• SRC Member

I do admit that you have to be physically fit for a sport like diving. When I took my Open Water in 2000, it wasn't that much of a problem for me as I was swimming like 3-4 times a week.

But last year, when I did a dive trip.. Man, I was REALLY exhausted. My physique is definitely not what it used to be. It was tough work, carrying all that weights and not to mention, the tank! About 20-30kg on your back. :pinch:

• SRC Member

Fitness is very impt for divers.. but we not talking abt so fit until u can run a full triathlon...

hantu for open water course, personally, i wun recommend it.. coz the viz is really horrible.. but it is a good training ground when u are slightly experienced.

The common dive sites are usually in Tioman, Aur and Dayang. Usual dive course span over 2 weeks, 1st week is pool + theory session, the second week usually is the actual open water dives.

Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

3 weeks!! The one I saw was only 6 days

It included 2 theory, 2 pool and 4 dives

Well anyway, I've worked it out with my parents already.

I'll take it up in poly when I join a cca that has diving

At the meantime, I just got myself a new bowling ball :lol:

So far I've checked, Ngee Ann poly has a diving club :yeah:

And Temasek poly has an adventure club that includes diving :yeah:

Yeah bowling is safe unless you try a helicopter on a 16 pound ball :lol:

Haha that's one of my top choices :lol:

• SRC Member
hammerhd: Yeah, it is true that the weight burden is only for a while but it is still physically exhausting for me. Esp. when you're getting back on the boat! :nc: Maybe for men, the weight isn't so bad, but for women, it ~is~ heavy. It's like carrying more than half my weight on my back. :blink:

LOl.. diving is great..

The feeling when u float weightlessly underwater..

Haha.. but above . You'll crank!

Anyways.. SP dive club's not bad..

But the operator .. dive centre they are with aint tt good.

Haha..

My friend was inside.

then they were suppose to go for this advance COurse

When they were on the bus already.

They were told tt the Instructor cant make it.

So they just had to go for a leisure trip!

No Course tt weekend.!

HAha

You bet I will!! :lol:

Night diving sounds fun too. Heard from AT that you can find fluorescent tubeworms :yeah: