Teco Micro chiller

nakazoru

• SRC Member

Anybody using the above???

Able to chill up to 40G as per claim.

Thinking of buying this for my 30G.

Equipment:

30G Corner Tank with 10G Sump, 2 x 24W artinic T5, 1 x 24W 10K, 1x 24W 20K, 3" Grade 0 sand & Live rocks, Activated Carbon, Bio-home, 2 x Seio M620, Hailea 1/2HP Chiller, Redsea Pro Skimmer

Live Stock:

Turbo Snail x 1, Green Mandarin Dragonet X 2, Blue Tang X 2, True percular x 2, 1 x Algae Bleenie, Clarke clown x 2

Reef:

1 x 2" Blue maxima, Red/Brown/Purple Mushroom (Discosoma), Pink Ricordea yuma, A little colony Brown/Green common Zoanthus, Red/Pink/Green US Zoanthus, Eagle-eye Zoathus, 14 Branch Goniopora Pandoraensis, 1 Starburst Polyps, 3 + 2 Branch Frogspawn, 4 Blasto, palythoa, Cheato

RIPs (Since June 2005):

1. Sabae clown (KO by Clarke clown) 2. 1 branch melted frogspawn 4 branch 3. Golden maxima (Ripe the base off rock by me) 4. Algae Bleenie x 2 (Starvation) 5. Blue Maxima x 1, 2 x Maxima, 1 x frogspawn, rics (Overtemp...)

Old 30G Corner Tank.

Restarted 30G Corner Tank.

Able to chill up to 40G as per claim

I guess it's true if you don't have any major heat source!

I use to have one on my 2X1X1 with 2XT5 (24W each). No problem, able to maintain the temperature at 26 deg C. However, when I upgraded to 4XT5, it cannot cope with it. Mind you, even with the sump, I don't think the volume of this tank is more that 20gal.

Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be, be one.

Marcus Aurelius

• SRC Member

I guess it's true if you don't have any major heat source!

I use to have one on my 2X1X1 with 2XT5 (24W each). No problem, able to maintain the temperature at 26 deg C. However, when I upgraded to 4XT5, it cannot cope with it. Mind you, even with the sump, I don't think the volume of this tank is more that 20gal.

What is ur temperature with chiller? It seems not so good if that the case. Also it is not cheap.

Equipment:

30G Corner Tank with 10G Sump, 2 x 24W artinic T5, 1 x 24W 10K, 1x 24W 20K, 3" Grade 0 sand & Live rocks, Activated Carbon, Bio-home, 2 x Seio M620, Hailea 1/2HP Chiller, Redsea Pro Skimmer

Live Stock:

Turbo Snail x 1, Green Mandarin Dragonet X 2, Blue Tang X 2, True percular x 2, 1 x Algae Bleenie, Clarke clown x 2

Reef:

1 x 2" Blue maxima, Red/Brown/Purple Mushroom (Discosoma), Pink Ricordea yuma, A little colony Brown/Green common Zoanthus, Red/Pink/Green US Zoanthus, Eagle-eye Zoathus, 14 Branch Goniopora Pandoraensis, 1 Starburst Polyps, 3 + 2 Branch Frogspawn, 4 Blasto, palythoa, Cheato

RIPs (Since June 2005):

1. Sabae clown (KO by Clarke clown) 2. 1 branch melted frogspawn 4 branch 3. Golden maxima (Ripe the base off rock by me) 4. Algae Bleenie x 2 (Starvation) 5. Blue Maxima x 1, 2 x Maxima, 1 x frogspawn, rics (Overtemp...)

Old 30G Corner Tank.

• SRC Member

alot also depends on the location of your 'chiller'....it couldn't cool my 2x1x1 (10g) to 26 degee because where my tank was has poor circulation....with only 1x36w PL is can only maintain at 27 (for me)....

but bear in mind that smaller tank lose/gain heat faster then larger tank....so my example of 10g might not be entirely correct.....:P

• SRC Member
alot also depends on the location of your 'chiller'....it couldn't cool my 2x1x1 (10g) to 26 degee because where my tank was has poor circulation....with only 1x36w PL is can only maintain at 27 (for me)....

but bear in mind that smaller tank lose/gain heat faster then larger tank....so my example of 10g might not be entirely correct.....:P

Ya,

Agree with you. As it is a solid state chiller, which means that it requires heat transfer so if the heat got no where to go, it will in fact generate heat to the aquarium.

Now, I run with fan, temp is constant 29C, hoping with the chiller, it will bring down further.

Equipment:

Live Stock:

Reef:

RIPs (Since June 2005):

Old 30G Corner Tank.

What is ur temperature with chiller? It seems not so good if that the case. Also it is not cheap.

Can't remember what the temperature was, but even with the chiller ON full time, the temperature was increasing slowly. As for good or not, I guess it depends on what you are going to do. If you keep buttons, mushrooms, etc. it might work.

Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be, be one.

Marcus Aurelius

• 1 month later...

Ya,

Agree with you. As it is a solid state chiller, which means that it requires heat transfer so if the heat got no where to go, it will in fact generate heat to the aquarium.

Now, I run with fan, temp is constant 29C, hoping with the chiller, it will bring down further.

I have the same heat problem too (with my 150W MH). Been looking for a good chiller the past week and found the Teco Micro too small for your tank. I don't think it can function comfortably on my 24g tank too. And yes, it may get activated all the time (which will consume lots of electricity) and will take very long to cool the water.

There's a reefer reporting (using a small chiller) that his chiller runs for 20 minutes with 10 minutes break in between. That's a lot of electricity we are talking about here.

In the end, I opt for a more reliable brand, although a bit overpower. At least it doesn't have to run for too long (or continuously) and allow me to upgrade in the future :rolleyes:

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica