Any recommendations for a chiller

paperdoll

Tanzy & all,

there may be hope for me. Managed to extract this from a website.

"Corals tolerate a narrow temperature range between 25 degrees Celsius and 29 degrees Celsius depending on location. Corals bleach in response to prolonged temperature change and not due to rapidly fluctuating temperatures. Lab experiments show that corals bleach when water reaches a constant 32 degrees Celsius (Brown and Ogden, 1993).

Experiments have shown that an increase in UV light causes coral bleaching. UV light experienced by corals can increase in calm waters. The amount of mycosporine-like amino acids in a coral's tissues helps to determine how much UV it can withstand without bleaching (Gleason, 1993). "

I think worth experimenting.

• SRC Member

Tigerkayu,

Not to discourage you but once the lights go on, the temperature will go up. If you are insistent, you can try some mushrooms or leathers first. The point is not just about bleaching but long term survivability.

I've got an acropora that dies/RTN, doesn't even bother to bleach, if the temperature stays above 27 for too long. Different corals will react differently, but as a rule of the thumb, don't let the temperature go above 29. Instead of a chiller, you could try using more fans.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member

You can change the setting from Degree Celsius to Degree Fahrenheit on a Teco chiller. Since 1 Degree Celsius = 1.8 degree Fahrenheit, Therefore if set in degree Fahrenheit , your chiller will have hysteresis of roughly 0.5 degree celsius. Am I confusing you?

I set my chiller to turn on at 82 Degree Fahrenheit and cut off at 83 Degree Fahrenheit.

• SRC Member

Hon,

Why don't you just set the hysteresis instead? Simpler than farenheit and celsius conversion.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member
You can change the setting from Degree Celsius to Degree Fahrenheit on a Teco chiller. Since 1 Degree Celsius = 1.8 degree Fahrenheit, Therefore if set in degree Fahrenheit , your chiller will have hysteresis of roughly 0.5 degree celsius. Am I confusing you?

I set my chiller to turn on at 82 Degree Fahrenheit and cut off at 83 Degree Fahrenheit.

Hon, How do you do that??

• SRC Member

Tanzy, my teco chiller can only set to the lowest 1.0 hysteresis. It does not have the decimal function. Even the displayed temp only show in whole number.

Phang, I don't have the manual with me now, let you know tonite. It's either on the P5 or P6 settings, change 0 or 1 to toggle between celsius or farenheit measurement. But remeber once you change to farenheit, you have to change your Max and Min temp settings, or else you will get error.

I made a mistake telling you turn on at 82 and off at 83..h.a.h.ah...so obvious error here, sound like heating water :P

What I set is to maintain the temp at 82 farenheit, so the chiller will kick in at 83 farenheit and cool to 82 then shut off.

So from 83 cool down to 82 is actually 0.55 degree celsius, which also a 0.55 hysteresis. :D

FYI,

25 celsius = 77 farenheit

26 celsius = 78.8 farenheit

27 celsius = 80.6 farenheit

28 celsius = 82.4 farenheit

29 celsius = 84.2 farenheit

• SRC Member

Hon,

RA240 & 680 has decimel function. What's you model?

post-36-1093875548.jpg

• SRC Member

The corals in the display tank looks different everytime 3 months. He also has many claims, like UGF for a 2' reef tank. Go figure.

Soft corals can be kept at 29 without much problems and some hardier LPS but they have better expansion and health at cooler temperature.

post-36-1093875548.jpg