To use or Not to use Ozone ?

• SRC Member
is good to use....

after I start to use it for 4 month.. the water get very clear and

my skimmer skim nothing at all....

when your skimmer skim nothing at all, its an indication of you might have over-dose the ozone..ozone suppose to increase skimming output..

• SRC Member

Don't just jump to using ozone just because of it benefits only there are other thing to look into. Any leakage of ozone can cause health hazard and over dosage of ozone to your tank will cost your livestock to die.

If using ozone is your option then you will need any ORP meter to indicate when is enough. If you have doubts about ozone it is better that you use UV sterilizer.

if u can smell the ozone , it is too much . :)

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Lighting: AI hydra 52HD

Skimmer: Deltec SC 1455

Reactor: Minimax; rowaphos

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

Wave Maker: MP 40 WQD

Return pump: Eheim 1262

Chiller: Arctica 1/10 hp

A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel -- Proverbs 12:10

• SRC Member
and nobody has been kind enuff to answer my questioon... :cry2::cry2::cry2:

Ozone(O3) is a unstable form of oxygen that will rapidly disintegrates & break down poisonous substance in water. It will effectively eliminates bacteria & virus & thus prevent fishes from getting white spots etc. It is also a good way of increasing the redox level in the water

• SRC Member
and nobody has been kind enuff to answer my questioon... :cry2::cry2::cry2:

I was considering to use an Ozoniser at one time but decided against it for the time being.

I have done some research and the advantages are many, like water clarity, better light penetration, killing of germs, increased oxygen and redox levels, enhance skimmer performance. However applications must be strict and applied accordingly. A Redox controller which controls the the application of ozone within predetermmined parameters, used with adequate carbon on the effluent air and water outlets can be safely applied and controlled without fear of water contamination.

The use of ozone is useful to reduce stress of newly arrived fishes as the ozone will provide them with more oxygen and at the same time kill germs which causes white spots but if too much ozone is applied, the fish gills and eyes will suffer the damage first.

Ozone is not necessary or recommended for continous application without a controller as harmful byproducts may give rise for concerns like excess ozone can harm marine organisms like excess ozone in the air is also a health hazard for humans!

Despite the many benefits of ozone, it should always be used as a temporary or controlled treatment with due consideration for risks of misapplication. Some reefers switched on when water is not clear and off when water is clear.

In my case my water is always clear enough. Personally, I am not sure if I can handle the management of the the Ozoniser and the redox controller to take full advantage of its benefits. If I do not apply it correctly then my tank living organisms will be wiped out! Not forgeting that ozone can also alter or degenerate plastics which makes them brittle over time. Maybe I will reconsider to use it one day...................

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

I have a 3 years old 6 feet tank with Fish and coral. Hairy Algae attacked and out of impulse, I took up those live rocks and whole system crashed.

Now, I am restarting the tank . Inorder to prevent future outbreak, I was adviced by salesmen to invest in both Phosphate reactor and Ozone generator to stop algae grow totally. Comment please.