Beckett & Needlewheel Skimmers Together

Earth

• SRC Member

Dear All

I'm toying with this idea as due to limited space that I have, I can't put in the biggest beckett to out skim my 3.5ft tank. Currently using a custom made beckett with only 22inches in height. Thought of putting in another needlewheel skimmer to help in the skimming.

Anybody tried this before and does it work? Appreciate your inputs...

:thanks:

4x1.5x2.3 home tank

6x2x2.3 office tank

• SRC Member

Bro Zorden: can't have extension due to height limitations. I have measured the space left and the most it can fit in the H&S smallest model skimmer which is for 400L. Will it be better than the beckett?

Bro Stanlyyau: So in your opinion, it is not useful to skim parallel at all?

Anybody else got any experience in this?

:thanks:

4x1.5x2.3 home tank

6x2x2.3 office tank

• SRC Member

if i remember correctly, a few mths ago a fellow reefer melvyn ran 2 hns simultaneously...i can't remember what exactly was the outcome but it was along the line of 1 skimmer stopped skimmer while the other collected all the skimmate...do a search on it?

if what i remember is correct then my advice is don't get 2 skimmers cos it'll be quite a waste

cheers :D

• SRC Member

Thanks for all your comments.

Wil_lee76, NO3 reading is 20ppm, so does it mean that the skimmer is working/ not working? My stock quite heavy, got 17 fishes (4 small fishes and the rest medium size) ;)

Shoelevy, read about Melvyn's 2 H&S skimming together, think they work hand-in-hand if I m not wrong... but so far, no one seems to be using a beckett and needlewheel together yet... wonder if the needlewheel will outskim the beckett or vice versa....

4x1.5x2.3 home tank

6x2x2.3 office tank