cdckjn's Tank in the Office

cdckjn

• SRC Member

As promised, this is the tank I am setting up in my school. This tank is given by my colleague who gave up on fresh water. I then added in the partition so that I can have some surface skimming as the water will push dirt down and be trapped by the filter material. Then it goes to the pump where it is pumped back to the main tank. So in this area, it can become my “sump” as I can put some live rocks inside as well.

In the main tank, there is a thin sand bed. I prefer sand as it looks more natural. At the corner are the coral chips. The coral chips are meant for the softies (mushrooms or yumas) to be re-attached as I would intend to frag them.

I will hope to go to buy the mushrooms and yumas from T95 (Seletar) this Friday. I hope that by then my knee will be in better condition to walk. (over the weekend, it went haywire, and now I have difficulties walking, limping now).

The pictures are taken with my new handphone Sony Ericsson K600i. It has a good 1.3 megapixel camera. And the picture output is directly 640x480 which then I can upload without problems.

post-69-1139886042.jpg

• SRC Member

the main tank - now empty - the live rocks will be those that the mushrooms and yumas come with. Is that a good idea? That means that I only need a few good pieces from my matured tank at home. The rest will be those where the softies will be on.

post-69-1139886433.jpg

the bubble emitted from the left hand section , is it skimmer foam >???

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Lighting: AI hydra 52HD

Skimmer: Deltec SC 1455

Reactor: Minimax; rowaphos

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

Wave Maker: MP 40 WQD

Return pump: Eheim 1262

Chiller: Arctica 1/10 hp

A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel -- Proverbs 12:10

• SRC Member

no, actually it is just from the oveflow. I originally want to incorporate a skimmer into this design - an air-stone with type but the partition was too small, so now since have this foam forming, can just skim off the foam to remove any dirt.

• SRC Member

put in some live rocks and a featherduster. throw in some bacteria powder and tablet. It works the last time - really speed up the cycling and keeps the sand and tank stable. Hope that can go and get the clownfishes and mushrooms this Fri. Will post pictures then.

post-69-1139964518.jpg

• SRC Member

one is a dead hammer but there is the green algae and red algae growing on it. the other is a tonga branch.

I am intending to buy some mushrooms/yumas so that the rocks that they come with can add to the live rocks. am I right to assume it this way???

• SRC Member
yes, it is from me later on when I am suppose to frag the mushrooms or yuma. The coral chips will be good for them to reattach themselves to.

Very good planning.

Can you get a shot of the tank top? very interested to see your piping works for that little pipe in the corner tank.

Seriously, you tank is very well done. Could not have done it any better myself.

*translated from Hokkien*

"If say no bang wall, this idiot will never ripen" - Mr Quah Siew Kow.

• SRC Member

the construction process of the tank - DIY process.

get a tank from a friend - then DIY the partition at the workshop. Then silicon it together and then silicon it to the tank. let it dry.

post-69-1140057092.jpg

• SRC Member

then do a test, and it works!!!!

and that's how the simple partition is in place. Originally idea was to use another powerhead to act as the skimmer. The skimmer is the normal air-stone type (less than $10) and since the powerhead is pumping water, it will suck air from the air tube and then generate bubbles. Tried it and the effect is not very ideal, so forget that idea. Decide to run it skimmerless. Now with tank in office and since distilled is easily available, will then do monthly 10% change of water.

post-69-1140057351.jpg

• SRC Member

Now just bought stuff at T95 and Aquamarin yesterday. So now livestock is 3 clumps of mushrooms/yumas... 2 small cleaner shrimps, 2 true percula clownfishes. already eating some pellets. Will try to bring brine shrimps tomorrow to try.

post-69-1140057655.jpg

• SRC Member

Sorry guys and gals, YES the pictures were taken and posted on the 14th. But I started the cycling (mixing in the distilled water and salt) one week ago. After one week I then put in the bacteria tablet and then wait 2 more days later before introduce livestock. Should be alright. In fact, this morning, when came to office, realise one of the cleaner shrimp already molted and I feed them brine shrimps, clowns taking it well.

So I actually bougt in my frags and now they are in the corner.

post-69-1140135130.jpg