Only fish aquarium

ady

Hi Bros...

Is it ok to keep only fish like Damsels in a 4feet tank w/o any sand in it?

I mean only fish in it. Running a Ehiem 2217 external filter now. Water running abt 2 to 3 weeks already. Added Benificial Bacterias already abt 2 weeks back...

Pls advise...

• SRC Member

Is it ok to keep only fish like Damsels in a 4feet tank w/o any sand in it?

I don't see a problem with just Damsel in tank, some pple like angelfish, tangs etc. Why not Damsel?? Even though they will get very nasty as they grow bigger.

Water running abt 2 to 3 weeks already. Added Benificial Bacterias already abt 2 weeks back...

If you're just keeping damsel, IMHO you don't even need to cycle the tank. But since you have already don't it. You can add the Damsels now. Benifical Bacterias needs a place to house them, like DSB or SB or Ceramic rings etc.

dogdogsrd20060608_18_Elric%20is%20.png

bunbunsdb20071225_-8_Elroi%20is.png

webster1973%20player%20555.png

Inside my Ehiem filter, there is abt 3/4 coral chips and 1/4 filter. So do I need to buy a few fish at a time or can I just add in a whole bunch of them at 1 go?

Oh yeah.. roughly abt how many Damsels (max number) I can put in in a 4feet tank?

Which is more advisable..?

Thanks..!!!

• SRC Member

Inside my Ehiem filter, there is abt 3/4 coral chips and 1/4 filter.

My advise, get rid of the coral chips and replace them with AquaClay instead. Can house more bacteria and takes up lesser space in your canister. Use 2kg of AquaClay, Active carbon and Filter wool in your canister. Place AquaClay in the last stage of the canister. Active carbon in between Filter wool and AquaClay.

So do I need to buy a few fish at a time or can I just add in a whole bunch of them at 1 go?

You can buy batch by batch but for Damsel most likely you can add them in together.

Oh yeah.. roughly abt how many Damsels (max number) I can put in in a 4feet tank?

Alot, Alot!!! of Damsels. If you are just having Damsels in your tank then don't give them too much LR to claim as they're territory so they'll leave peaceful among themselve. For a 4' tank get those huge rocks with curve so that they can swim around and under it.

By the way, I currently doesn't have any protein skimmer in the tank.

Is it ok as I do not plan to put in any sand or live rocks, decos etc in it.

Yo Bro Neokn...

Thanks for helping me out here...

Much appreciated....

• SRC Member

By the way, I currently doesn't have any protein skimmer in the tank.

Is it ok as I do not plan to put in any sand or live rocks, decos etc in it.

Trust me, all this will come into picture soon. Not alot of pple can tahan the temptation to buy more nicer fish and put into their tank. Soon, you'll find yourselves buying skimmer, LRs etc to upkeep the well being of your "investment". For now a air stone skimmer will do.

But as a Damsel only tank (bare w/o LRs), it'll be a waste for 4'. Coz IMHO, w/LRs look more natural.

• SRC Member
:huh: You'll be the 1st person to keep only damsels in a 4FT! Haha, anyway, i think a tank with LRs will look much nicer....im sure you don't want your 4FT tank to look like those in the LFS. It wouldnt do justice to the 4FT, well, to each his own. Oh, if you ever decide to get LRs, try do it before you add any fishes, the cycle will restart again. And 1 word of advice, it'll be nearly impossible to catch the damsels if you have LRs, add them with caution. They are agressive fishes. :) Have fun, post up some pictures soon yeah?

My Newbie Tank Thread

My Blog

All pics taken with CanoN!~

Will do Bro Qxnviolet, will do.... abt the pics once it is up...

Soo far no time to go down to the Fish farm...

Bz working..

Thinking abt getting some Green Chromis, Yellow tailed Damselfish and maybe some Strawberry Gramma...

Make it more colourful....

He he he....

• SRC Member

I agreed with what the others have said. Keeping to a few variety of damsels is NICE. My recommendations for a 4ft - 8 blue/green chromis, 6 yellow-tailed blue damsels (can by quite agressive if grow bigger), 2-4 either 3-stripe damsel or 3-spot domino (also quite agressive if grow bigger), I like bluefin damselfish - shiny and bright, can also have the yellow damselfish.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/scateg.cfm?pCatId=28

go to above link for choosing damselfish. Can go to AquaMar** - they normally sell a damsel at $1 each so cheap cheap can at one go buy many many.

introduce all at one go, then less problems that they will fight amongst themselves.

If you just have some sand at the bottom of tank - so it looks more natural as compared to the LFS, then just have lots of damsels, with some lighting, I believe that with a 4ft tank it will be VERY impressive. Very Swee Swee.

Post pics once you do it. I believe that it will look great.

With these many fishes, perhaps air-stone skimmer not sufficient, then get a Weipro 2011, should be ok for that type of bioload. :lol::lol: