Deltec MC500

boxfish

• SRC Member

Hopefully it can help to improve my tank water quality.

Before I can see results I already experience 2 issues most potential user are worry about .. :(

1. Noise. It was louder than the Rio10H I was using to drive the AquaC urchin. The humming was not torlerable... quite a disappointment since many users claim that it was quiet in the Deltec thread over at RC.

After some hair pulling moments trying to resolve the problem... finally decided to turn it around in my very small sump and the noise kinda reduces to a more acceptable level though not exactly to my liking yet. Perhaps the sump and the direction where the aquabee noise travel was too close to the wall and created the unbearable humming nosie. Or perhaps the pump has broken-in?...

anyway just hope it will improve over time.

2. Overflow in the collection cup.

Had the skimmer run over night and discovered the cup was overflow with sump water this morning. Same problem mentioned by some other users in RC. Will have to wait for the breakin and see the result after which.

not quite a nice experience for a start with a $500 skimmer :angry:

But the bubble quantity and size do give me some confident that it is capable of producing good result. Lets hope.... :ph34r:

Not sure whether this will help you solve the noise ...

I'm using a H&S skimmer.

There was one time I took the needlewheel pump out for cleaning.

And after I put it back, I found it producing a rattling noise that was not present before.

Took me a few days of torment before I realise this ...

The two rubber thingys that are holding the ceramic shaft in the pump ... which fit into two holes on the pump chassis.

Make sure they are tightly inserted into their holes.

I use white tape to go around them before firmly pushing them in.

Peace at last ...

• SRC Member
Hopefully it can help to improve my tank water quality.

Before I can see results I already experience 2 issues most potential user are worry about .. :(

1. Noise. It was louder than the Rio10H I was using to drive the AquaC urchin. The humming was not torlerable... quite a disappointment since many users claim that it was quiet in the Deltec thread over at RC.

After some hair pulling moments trying to resolve the problem... finally decided to turn it around in my very small sump and the noise kinda reduces to a more acceptable level though not exactly to my liking yet. Perhaps the sump and the direction where the aquabee noise travel was too close to the wall and created the unbearable humming nosie. Or perhaps the pump has broken-in?...

anyway just hope it will improve over time.

2. Overflow in the collection cup.

Had the skimmer run over night and discovered the cup was overflow with sump water this morning. Same problem mentioned by some other users in RC. Will have to wait for the breakin and see the result after which.

not quite a nice experience for a start with a $500 skimmer :angry:

But the bubble quantity and size do give me some confident that it is capable of producing good result. Lets hope.... :ph34r:

why not you try the Deltec

web they have a section on these issues.

• SRC Member

Or perhaps the pump has broken-in?...

i dare say most, if not all new pumps, will be noisy. it will improve after a few days.

• SRC Member
Hrmz, nice skimmer....but i think theres a newer model? The MCE600 or something like that? Care to reveal where you got it from? :)

MCe600 is a hangon...MC500 more for in sump.

everyhing else very similar... just that MC500 for slightly smaller tank.

bought from SRC sponsor ;)

having a hard time deciding between tunze 9010 and this.

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

noise problem seems to have improved....perhaps when it is new or after cleaning the motor noise is louder .. otherwise should be quite alright.

still that same old workhorse.

realise one good point of this skimmer design is the "neck" (if any :lol: ) is actually the cup.. so everytime I clean ...both cup and neck clean together.

still trying to find that sweet spot .. as in the height of the cup, water level and air

• 1 month later...
  • SRC Member
so i guess ur satisfied wif it? did the humming noise stop? effective in removing wate quickly?

very good skimmer I must say. at least I know my $500 is working. :lol:

maybe tank load is low so only clean weekly...is that effective?

the noise will be there after every cleaning of the cup but will become quite after a day.

• 4 months later...