Learning to scuba-dive

flubberina13

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Triggerfish... my wife and I are trying to round up enough people to charter a Liveaboard to Similan Island, Phuket. Going end Nov - early Dec!

Wanna hop aboard our party? :) For that matter.. any Advanced Divers here in SRC? Good to have lots of kawan onboard... :)

• SRC Member
Triggerfish... my wife and I are trying to round up enough people to charter a Liveaboard to Similan Island, Phuket. Going end Nov - early Dec!

Wanna hop aboard our party? :) For that matter.. any Advanced Divers here in SRC? Good to have lots of kawan onboard... :)

tempting!!!! but got meeting mid nov.

Can OWD go ? Or preferably to be advance ?

AT, let known the details. must consider hari raya for those muslim divers too.

• SRC Member

If monsoon here, does it mean over at US, I can learn? 'Cos I will be there for a month basically doing nothing but just holidaying.

can someone advise about diving in States? preferably at LA or at San Fran area?

Anyway, Bum, you should know why I say preferably mid November...Now exam fever...STRESSED... :sick::eyeblur::pinch::cry:

Infact, the periodic entries into the forum kinda let me kinda know that i am still a human and also the gazing of my fishes. Sigh...how I wish can make a bigger tank now... :(

• SRC Member

reefer guy, if you interested in learning, when will be good for you? if really October, I only have a certain weekend to spare which I will check my schedule if people are going ahead.

And pls help me 'cheo' more gals...can? My friends backed out... :angry:

• SRC Member

sis, another reefer, supremo, asked me to go ard 3rd week of october, but during that week have to take lectures and pool dives at outram swimming pool.... then head off to tioman over the weekend.... definitely he'll be bringing his wife to dive as well.... maybe can ask bwilly to 'piggyback' again n bring wife along.. the more the merrier.... if the sched for this month is too tight, its either we have to patiently wait til monsoon is over or we go further up --> thailand

You guys better go take lessons quick or your practical OW dives won't be very enjoyable at all.

1. Choppy waters = seasickness = spoilt the dive

2. Stronger currents = dangerous to newbie divers

3. Murkier waters = see nothing

4. Dark clouds = blocked sun = reduced visibility

Upside: higher chance to see migrating pelagics like manta rays and whale sharks! :)

• SRC Member
sis, another reefer, supremo, asked me to go ard 3rd week of october, but during that week have to take lectures and pool dives at outram swimming pool.... then head off to tioman over the weekend.... definitely he'll be bringing his wife to dive as well.... maybe can ask bwilly to 'piggyback' again n bring wife along.. the more the merrier.... if the sched for this month is too tight, its either we have to patiently wait til monsoon is over or we go further up --> thailand

I dun mind Thailand but dun sell me there... :lol::lol:

Anyway, which part of Thailand? And maybe the ladies can adjoin to Bangkok for SHOPPING??? :yeah::idea:

when you intend to go because I will only be back from States somewhere around Christmas. Ah...dun leave me behind... :(

• SRC Member

i can wait that long.....maybe sav up more money for the trip while waiting.. but bangkok???? hehehe... wanna go w my gf end of this month? hehehe..... well, since the advanced divers r going for an escapade up thailand, maybe we join them going there but will be separated between dives and courses

• SRC Member

A question I have always wanted to ask...pardon my sotongness... :P

have you heard of anyone getting a heart attack after coming face to face with the wonders of the sea? Wonder if anyone will freak out at the sight of a shark or manta ray or even a trigger beside or near him.

I remember when i ever snorkled in the Phuket sea, I saw so many nice fishes and was 'wah-ing' all the way. :lol:

• SRC Member

have you heard of anyone getting a heart attack after coming face to face with the wonders of the sea? Wonder if anyone will freak out at the sight of a shark or manta ray or even a trigger beside or near him.

I remember when i ever snorkled in the Phuket sea, I saw so many nice fishes and was 'wah-ing' all the way. :lol:

hahaha... u will learn NOT to "wah" or you will be choking like mad :P

But I can tell you, what got me into diving is a snorkeling trip up to Langkawi many years back, the underwater world really amazed me. And till now it still does.

the weightlessness, the beauty of the reefs, the tranquil.... wow!! you just have to experience it first hand to understand and appreciate it.

Away from the bustle and hustle of the city..... go go.... and help the reef too.

Then next year can join in the fun in Project Aware 2004 :)

• SRC Member

bro wat's this Project Aware? Is it the reef planting at tioman? Remember a friend from kl and she was asking me to take diving right away so i can join her in some sort of project like this.... too bad i was really bz at work, thinking that we were supposed to take owd together and now she's certified while im still 'snorkellng level' :(

• SRC Member
bro wat's this Project Aware? Is it the reef planting at tioman? Remember a friend from kl and she was asking me to take diving right away so i can join her in some sort of project like this.... too bad i was really bz at work, thinking that we were supposed to take owd together and now she's certified while im still 'snorkellng level'  :(

Beside cleaning the beach and the reef. Divers are taught to interact with the environment passivley by perfecting their bouyancy so that they will not accidentally harm the reef by banging into them.

you can read more on www.projectaware.org

Oh.... A.W.A.R.E = Aquatic World Awareness, Responsibility and Education

• SRC Member
You guys better go take lessons quick or your practical OW dives won't be very enjoyable at all.

1. Choppy waters = seasickness = spoilt the dive

2. Stronger currents = dangerous to newbie divers

3. Murkier waters = see nothing

4. Dark clouds = blocked sun = reduced visibility

Upside: higher chance to see migrating pelagics like manta rays and whale sharks! :)

yeah to all pple who want to take up diving... REMEMBER TO BUY YOUR SEASICK PILLS!!!!! esp if the waters are choppy, very easy to feel seasick! Rem you need to take the pill at least 30mins beforehand. and be careful cuz some pple feel drowsy when they take seasick pills.

• SRC Member

flub: one possible heart attack scenario is when realising the sea floor is littered with sea urchins! suddenly your bouyancy skills improve tenfold!

• SRC Member

when i visited a scuba shop in LA, they dun sell 3mm.. minimum is 5mm and above. dry suit is a common thing over there. so, go figure... it is really cold!!!!

Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

• SRC Member

"Loads of fat"... that helps.. Bob, one of the guy that took OWC with us was over 100kg... my best guess is 120kg.

Guess what?

He completed 200m faster that the rest of us. And can stay afloat for days...

One problem is he can't sink. He needs over 12 weights to make him sink. ;)

He is my dive buddy. Cool guy.

• SRC Member

Thanks for helping me sink buddy. Riding on my tank wasn't in the dive plan. ;)

Six weights? No... I think you use more during your OWC. Or is it because you never deflate your BCD fully initally that's why you need more weights than your weight belt able to carry.

Anyway, glad that you continue diving. Will inform you of any upcoming dive trips.

• SRC Member

Just checked my schedule...I have a 'No work Saturday' coming up on 25th October.

Advisors... can I ask if it is possible to attend a course starting from 24th October afternoon till 26th October evening? Is there such a programme?

Pls advise asap so that I can take actions fast.

greatly appreciated... :peace:

Flubberina