New Bie on board, pls advise!

• SRC Member
Wow what a striking looking sea cucumber... well instinct tells me they might be poisonous... do check properly as some creatures can even harm humans. That's why I always wear gloves... just to be on the save side... kinda embarassing, how to tell the doctor "I kena bitten by my pet sea cucumber"? lol

Its good to wear gloves to protect your hands, but have to be careful not to use gloves coated with powder or anything, might "pollute" your water and for small tanks might even poison your LS. :)

My Newbie Tank Thread

My Blog

All pics taken with CanoN!~

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That's why I bought a pack of Tunze gloves, 10 for $10.00. It's full length, so goes all the way to the shoulder. When it comes to reefing... safety first B)

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

Hrmz, where did you get that from? HAve never seen it retailing in any LFS before....reefdepot again? haha :)

Yes... you got me soooo right! lol

Don't mistaken me as working for ReefDepot, but I really enjoy buying stuff from them... well, no problem so far.

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• SRC Member

hi there glad to see that you are enjoying back the hobby =)

well..frankly mind me but here are some advices

-try to run an FR with Phospate remover to eradicate those diatoms and algaes,your tank would look at its best without them

-upgrade your air-driven skimmer to a better one..if you are going on a budget u can go for weipro..the air driven skimmer wont serve u well for long-term

-try to hunt out the mantis shrimp..it may kill your other livestock in future :angry:

-the first "soft-coral" in the shape of a bubble is not a soft coral.its a LPS..yupp and its name is also "bubble coral" =)

-the second "soft-coral" is also an LPS it is called "Hammer Coral"

-your harlequin shrimp looks cool..but i've read somewhere that brittle starfish are not its proper diet so avoid feeding it...switch to linkia starfish instead..

hope i helped a little one way or another

-your mushroom looks stressed and bleached..try your best to nurse it back to its brightful colours =)

Bro another thing, how did you mount your light? Just be careful... if the whole fixture is to drop into the tank... well, that's it 0 :nuke:

Agree with Jem that your protein skimmer is gonna be a hinderence in the long run. Keep a lookout at the Pasar Malam section.

• SRC Member
Hey!

Thnks all bros that has been so helpful. I will stop buying LS from now on and invest in hardware slowly. Will keep reefers update about my progress with new pics.If any bro still got anymore suggestion,"KEEP POSTING MAN". I still got allot to learn.

Cheers. :bow:

I leave u guys with these 2 fellows.

This sea cucumber appears to be

COLOCHIRUS QUADRANGULARIS (of the Family: CUCUMARIIDAE).

It has an Indo-Malayan distribution. U can also come across this creature along Changi Beach (if u know which part of the beach...) :lol::lol:

Oh yes, change ur air-stone skimmer to at least a Weipro.

dancing_girl2.gifSpirit.gif

Thk Elune,

I m gona change it soon as long as i construct the sump. that will be this weekend.

I need to consult 1 important man @ a fishfarm i met before i go full force. do you have any useful tips for DIY a sump? I happen to pass by this LSP today and the owner told me to get a china skimmer for a start. cost $140. What do u think?

He also mention that i have to start with sump, then skimmer and lastly chiller.

when he told me the price for the few type of chiller, boy the price was crazy man.

I guess I will take some time to have a complete system. :(

Hi all,

As for the light, i jus lay in on a pic of plastics as the stand for the light is not fit for my 2.5 ft tank.

For the mantis, IT HAS BEEN ARRESTED AND KILLED.

some of the mushroom shift around and some stay put. How u guys tell when they are stress? whats sign to look out for?

And to all bros, Can someone kindly tell me whats all the short form means in order for me to further understand and learn.

Thks

• SRC Member

Woah~~~ Hold it right there.....!

1) first of all, I have no tips for a DIY sump, but look around in the DIY thread and u can come across a few.

2) WHICH fish shop told you that China skimmer is $140 ???

3) For your tank, a simple Weipro skimmer is enough (at minimum). And it cost only $45 max. Check the market rates first before buying!

4) Yes, its nice to have a sump, there are lotsa benefits of having a sump. although I know few friends with successful tanks without sump. so its not always necessary.

5) for your tank size, i feel installing a fan will do. prices of Chillers are crazy, i do agree with that. at least 3-digits. If u wanna go a little low budget, get a nice fan at around $50+ and and its enuf to get ur water temperature to a nice 26+ degree celsius. switch on the lights and its only 27+ degree. nice rite?

but for fan , just have to take note of evaporation rate. u need to top up ur tank with dechlorinated water frequently to maintain the Specific Gravity.

There is NO NEED to spend so much money. Ask around and check the market rates before buyijng expensive equipments. Dun become a ROBERTO... (Chai Tao). Reef onz.

Another piece of 2 cents... IMO check clearly what you want (normally through the net, check its price from reefdepot or eaquanature) and then only go to LFS. I used to end up buying things that I do not like coz the LFS say "good-lo". Some China skimmer for $140.00? Surely, he knows you're a newbie.

That's why I don't shop at LFS much lately, I buy from the internet. That way, I can have a very clear mind, relax at home and make my purchase without interference. Aiya, if I'm a LFS, I'll also hard-sell certain products that give me high profit margin... example, how many times you go BEST to buy Sony, they end up recommending Samsung or LG? Same concept here.

Enjoy your shopping spree... and don't let them talk you into buying things you are unsure of, always trust your first instinct. If your first reaction is "it's not gonna work"... trust me, it's not gonna work, lol.

Hey Great thks to u guys,(Elune and jervismun )

ok, i will check the online 1st. And anyway about the china skimmer, I perfer not to mention which LSP recomended. Wait others reefer might say I m a pest in the forum. But i better stick to the advise from u guys. Its a weipo skimmer a hanging one? Can i keep those more delicate corals if i have the skimmer?

Hey Great thks to u guys,(Elune and jervismun )

ok, i will check the online 1st. And anyway about the china skimmer, I perfer not to mention which LSP recomended. Wait others reefer might say I m a pest in the forum. But i better stick to the advise from u guys. Its a weipo skimmer a hanging one? Can i keep those more delicate corals if i have the skimmer?

I saw the Weipro hang-on selling around $45 @ Reborn. You still need a powerhead though. Ask them for a suitable one, again decide what kinda brand you roughly want. European made or China made, coz the price differs greatly (more than double).

And yes, I think your corals will be much happier with a better skimmer... whether or not delicate corals, not too sure, check with other pro bros.

Hey Reefers,

I badly need help! I reach home today and discover my two corals is dying. I dont know how to explain. Pls look at the attachments n u will know. Should i remove them. But i dont have a extra tank for them too even if bthey are not dead.

How Bros? Situation is bad man.

post-6-1141754451.jpg

• SRC Member

Ya know,

if you feel your tank is not ready for corals ( i feel its not ready),

i would suggest u sell away ur corals first at the pasam malam thread.

Do up ur tank properly, maintain some healthly fishes, then come back to keeping coals at least say..... 2 months later.

Hope ur corals survive. All the best.

Ya know,

if you feel your tank is not ready for corals ( i feel its not ready),

i would suggest u sell away ur corals first at the pasam malam thread.

Do up ur tank properly, maintain some healthly fishes, then come back to keeping coals at least say..... 2 months later.

Hope ur corals survive. All the best.

You do have some "moderate care needed" corals in your new tank. I dunno if it's gonna work, but I don't dare to buy them (and they are usually quite costly). Your water parameters seems fine... it's a good sign I believe (just like my tank).

Besides water conditions, lighting (type and amount), water flow and LS mix are also extremely important. I wish you all the best...

WTS at Pasar Malam is not a bad idea actually... at least it will take some stress off you :D

I know a lot of inverts have very low tolerance towards copper and nitrate. If your nitrate is low... could it be copper? U using tap water bro? If yes, what kinda conditioner you put before using the tap water?

Hehe, not interogating... just trying to help find the answer :)