is red slime and sometimes green ones good or bad?

hi is red slime or cyano bacteria good or bad? i heard they r good.. but they seem to be spreading all over my tank even deep into the sand bed.. green one too.. but i dunno wat is the name for the green algae.. r they good or bad? pls advise...

and how to stop them from growing

cheers

• SRC Member

cyano is not really that good... sign of poor water condition.. too much phosphats in the water. there is this product.. Red Slime Remover... 1 dose of this powder and i tell u, all your cyano will be gone! ;) u can ask around here if any1 has any leftover that u can purchase... does the green algae look like hair? if it does, then its a sign of high phosphates as well.. :peace:

The world is such a wicked place,war btween the human race. People work to earn their bread,while across the sea they're counting dead

If I'm not wrong the powder is Erythromycin? It's an antibiotic...can be purchased from the clinic. Used it on my planted tank once...works like a miracle...green cyano never came back. :evil:

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

Don't think so..different bacteria have different epitopes that are recognised by their own different antibiotics that are specific for bacteria that have similar epitopes.

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

• SRC Member

The fact that dosing erythromycin causes an ammonia spike suggests that it does affect beneficial bacteria. It's not getting at the root of the problem but temporary suppressing it.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member

skimmer is the one equipment that all reefers cannot do without... it is the first defence... skimming away detritus stuff even before it got chance to turn into ammonia, nitrite or nitrate...

i am using a wei pro..but it seems to lose it efficiency.. prob it is with the pump... is skimmer very crucial?

you need to do periodic servicing to equipment to ensure it operates in tip top condition. (= sucky thing eh? but look at it this way, even cars need regular servicing before they can work at their optimum range. even the mighty Ferrari or fiesty Subaru WRC isn't excused from that!

and well. skimmers. to a certain extent it MAY NOT be necessary. low bio load. two small kuching kerak *hope I got the spelling correct* fish *meaning super small lah. :P* and live rocks. shouldn't need it. but then again, prevention better than cure right? (=