Chiller in bedroom?

crandf

I will be grateful for some feedback on chillers.

Is anyone putting their chillers in the bedroom? How you cope with the noise and heat if so?

For me, I plan to vent the exhaust out through the window. So now I need to ask if the Resun models are quiet enough(especially the kicking in and out noise) for the bedroom, taking into account the chiller will likely be placed on a table at about window height level.

Also need to know if the resun CL280 can cool about 185 liters of water to about 23-24 degrees. Its a freshwater tank, so relatively low wattage, and I will be doing some, insulating. Yes, I've gone to the resun homepage already, but I feel such specs are never a definite indication of real world performance.

Much obliged for any help provided.

Might not be very useful... but I bought a new Teco RA240 for my tank in the study room. I can't seem to get used to the noise after running it for around 2 weeks now. So, can't imagine this in my bedroom. Surely gonna wake me up in the middle of the night.

What FW fishes r u keeping? Why the low 23ºC? Coz the chiller will have to work extra hard to maintain such low temperature. I assume your bedroom is air-conditioned. Got a feeling it will kick in every 1 to 2 hours.

IMO, cannot sleep lah!

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• SRC Member

So what brands are the quiet or quieter one? I intend to get one for my 120gal tank. I can't afford to get another noisy equipment.

Why do we use "My 2 cents worth" when 1 cents are not legal tender in Singapore anymore? Shouldn't it be 5 cents worth?

"Its easier to blame the 'mantis' or crabs in the tank for missing & dead livestocks.."

http://arcanehacker.blogspot.com/

Thanks for the feedback, actually I'm planning to keep crystal red shrimp. Planning to do insulation to help reduce the king in and out. Currently reading up on how to soundproof a box to hold the chiller, thought of a design already involving rock wool stuffed between double layers of lead and one long intake pipe channeling cool air from the window in addition to the exhaust pipe leading out of the window. Of course, the intake pipe will need to hold pipes and wires as well, so need to be quite broad.

Thanks for the feedback, actually I'm planning to keep crystal red shrimp. Planning to do insulation to help reduce the king in and out. Currently reading up on how to soundproof a box to hold the chiller, thought of a design already involving rock wool stuffed between double layers of lead and one long intake pipe channeling cool air from the window in addition to the exhaust pipe leading out of the window. Of course, the intake pipe will need to hold pipes and wires as well, so need to be quite broad.

Do keep us posted with your DIY sound proofing. I might sound-proof mine too.

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• SRC Member

I have a resun 450, I had one from the old batch which sounded like an aeroplane in my room, the new one creates a hum which I hardly notice anymore..

Heat however is an issue, even at night with all my windows opened my living room still feels distictily cooler than my room.

Best way is if you can duct the hot air out of your room... but that's not always possible...

• SRC Member
Hi Ervine, you've given me new hope! Is the sound of the chiller kicking in and out loud? And do you keep your new cl450 in the cabinet?

no... well compared to my old CL450 it's a whisper.. but I'm used to it so I really don't hear it...

It's right next to me (arms reach) when I'm working on my computer really... not in cabinet...

Hi, that was very helpful, may I know what are your temperature settings and the temperature without the chiller? Your tank volume is about 120L right? What's the total watts of heat being used. And how often does the CL280 kick in and out?

I've calculated my setup to need about 0.09HP from the jbj website. Not sure how reliable it is for resun....... but thinking I may need a CL450. On the other hand, if cl280 takes a long time to cool my tank down, then the kick in/out noise is lesser also.......

• SRC Member

hi there bro crandf,

i run a Resun CL650 in my room, and the sound is honestly hardly distinguishable, so much so that i have to look at the display screen to see if its running (as i run an external thermostat), so it is possible to run a chiller in your room without having to suffer noise issues.

cheers,

ian

Ok, I just bought a cl280 instead. So far I'm pretty impressed with it. The workmanship is good, the parts seem sturdy, the manual is detailed and well written, and its very quiet! I would compare it to the sound of the typical 3-speed wall mounted fan at the lowest speed. And the sound when it kicked in and out is a just a slightly audible click.

I tried it out on just 8 litres of water using a 1200L/H pump. It didn't seem to be working at first despite its fans running, then the temperature slowly dropped from 28.5 to 21 degrees in about 16 minutes. The final 2 degrees took about 5 minutes to cool, followed by a break of about 10 minutes before the chiller kicked in again

If I scale everything up, then I estimate cooling 160L from 31 to 23 degrees would take about 6-7 hours. To maintain betweeb 23-24 would take maybe 90min of cooling and 200 mins resting. This is a slightly more optimistic calculation than the graph in the manaul which suggested >120mins of cooling required.