LR????

Hi, I m newbies to this hobby. I have some question on LR, need the expect for some advice.

1. how long can the LR tahan w/o water?

2. how to indentified whether LR is alive or dead?

3. should i buy LR from people who have left on the ground w/o water for around a week?

thanks for the kindness.

• SRC Member

If they are for cycling.. who cares... :).. after all everything is gonna die off during that period..

Why do we use "My 2 cents worth" when 1 cents are not legal tender in Singapore anymore? Shouldn't it be 5 cents worth?

"Its easier to blame the 'mantis' or crabs in the tank for missing & dead livestocks.."

http://arcanehacker.blogspot.com/

Bro me no expert I've been using dead LR since day 1 and until now no problem. Only bought some live rock to kick start caroline growth.

I prefer to start cycle with dead rocks because no pest, no algae to worry later, the only thing is the rock have no caroline algae but it grow if you good water parameter.

As for bacteria that's the reason you need to cycle the tank.

Just 1 question to you what are worries.

ps this is only IMHO

If they are for cycling.. who cares... :).. after all everything is gonna die off during that period..

You mean if i go buy those LR from fish farm and put into my tank during cycling, the rock will die off after that....?? :ooh:

Bro me no expert I've been using dead LR since day 1 and until now no problem. Only bought some live rock to kick start caroline growth.

I prefer to start cycle with dead rocks because no pest, no algae to worry later, the only thing is the rock have no caroline algae but it grow if you good water parameter.

As for bacteria that's the reason you need to cycle the tank.

Just 1 question to you what are worries.

ps this is only IMHO

bro, i tot all the rock must be LR for use in the tank? can use DR ah?

Why is it call LR? heard many diff kind of story about it but not very sure leh....!!!

• SRC Member

Hrmz, LRs are not actually alive. Its the living organisms on it that makes them "live". Rocks that are left dried for a week will proberbly be dead as in most living organisms would be dead. For me i prefer getting LRs from the shops that are full of coralline. Agreed that coralline will grow if water parameters are good but if i can get a good start by getting coralline encrusted rocks, why not? I cycled my tank with uncured LRs and the only grouge i have are the worms that come with it and the die offs that dirty my sandbed. :lol: Oh, looks out in the pasar malam thread, there are lots of reefers selling rocks, most proberbly cured and some with quite abit of coralline algae. :)

My Newbie Tank Thread

My Blog

All pics taken with CanoN!~

• SRC Member
You mean if i go buy those LR from fish farm and put into my tank during cycling, the rock will die off after that....?? 

Don't worry bro, not all the organisms will die off after cycling! Just some of it that is why the ANN cycle.

Hrmz, LRs are not actually alive. Its the living organisms on it that makes them "live". Rocks that are left dried for a week will proberbly be dead as in most living organisms would be dead. For me i prefer getting LRs from the shops that are full of coralline. Agreed that coralline will grow if water parameters are good but if i can get a good start by getting coralline encrusted rocks, why not? I cycled my tank with uncured LRs and the only grouge i have are the worms that come with it and the die offs that dirty my sandbed. :lol: Oh, looks out in the pasar malam thread, there are lots of reefers selling rocks, most proberbly cured and some with quite abit of coralline algae. :)

bro, thanks for your advice. at least now i know wat i LR and wat i need. really appreaciate all the advice from all other member......xie xie

• SRC Member

maybe we should sticky a post about LRs... how come so many have the impression that LRs are alive?? .. :P

Why do we use "My 2 cents worth" when 1 cents are not legal tender in Singapore anymore? Shouldn't it be 5 cents worth?

"Its easier to blame the 'mantis' or crabs in the tank for missing & dead livestocks.."

• SRC Member

sure or not, the rocks that i got are still colorful after all these months

Everything is usually worms and stuff living in there. Coraline will die but I find only partially..

• SRC Member
then wat, add more LR in again ?? and cycle again

Bro the point is you don't need live rock to start cycle your tank. Some people even make thier own rock and have got no problem whatsoever. So read up more before giving any of your opinion. The reason you go thru ANN cycle because to cultivate bacteria not pest like crabs or worms.

So moral of the story is it does'nt matter if it's live rock or dead rock because it serve the same purpose.

• SRC Member

Specifically answering ur question...

1. how long can the LR tahan w/o water?

no idea to comment

2. how to indentified whether LR is alive or dead?

Hard question. but as a general rule, FRESH LR do not smell. Dying LR smells real bad due to lotsa dying / dead organism inside the LR

3. should i buy LR from people who have left on the ground w/o water for around a week?

In my opinion, NO. Becuz that would have defeat the purpose of u getting "LIVE" rocks. Although there is no harm buying those rocks left w/o water for over a week.

If u wanna kick-start the ANN cycle, things HAVE to die first. During the process of LR freshly taken outta a fellow reefer's tank, then tranport w/o water back to ur home's tank... some organism (be it good or bad) would have died off a little, but could still be stuck in ur LR.Thats where the Ammonia's gonna come from. Things HAVE to rot first in ur tank before the ANN cycle proceeds to the 2nd stage.... and finally the third...

That is why there WILL be initial coralline algae die-offs, which is not much of a worry. While the rest of the organism /bacterias that are still alive... they'll take care of the cycle for you.

Yes, some ppl prefer getting uncured LR while others prefer cured. Its ur choice.

dancing_girl2.gifSpirit.gif

• SRC Member

Bro the point is you don't need live rock to start cycle your tank. Some people even make thier own rock and have got no problem whatsoever. So read up more before giving any of your opinion. The reason you go thru ANN cycle because to cultivate bacteria not pest like crabs or worms.

So moral of the story is it does'nt matter if it's live rock or dead rock because it serve the same purpose.

most of the things (articles) i read was to put in LR, never mentioned about dead rocks. thanks for your humble opinion too

• SRC Member

most of the things (articles) i read was to put in LR, never mentioned about dead rocks. thanks for your humble opinion too

I agree with bro Tanga. you do NOT need "LIVE" Rocks to kick-start ANN cycle. There are many other methods to start the cycle. (like the hang-the-market-prawn method + the nitrifying-bacteria-tablet...).

Just that using LR is the preferred common choice becuz it saves cycling times -- since they're already existing bacterias housing in the LR. There are certain benefits and disadvantages of using LR though, and a person may have to look into the choices between cured LRs or uncured ones (if he /she decides to use the LR method). I wun mention wat are the pros n cons, risk or benefits of LR. since such a topic has already been written everywhere.

I personally would prefer Dead Rocks, followed by Cured-LR. And my tank's ANN cycle was kicked-start with Cured LR + Market prawn + a dose of Nitrying-bacteria.

Things HAVE to ROT first, thats where the Ammonia's gonna come from.

Tanga is right to also say : "it does'nt matter if it's live rock or dead rock because it serve the same purpose". --to house bacteria and serve as a natural filtration.

Yes, there're tons of articles abt LR, and perhaps you have only been reading abt LR. Read widely and expand ur scope ya?

dancing_girl2.gifSpirit.gif