Jervis' Percula 90

jervismun

Wow looks pretty cool... do you think your 3W LED can be dimmed? Coz my Aqua Medic Light Computer can dim the moonlight following the full moon (70%) / new moon (12%) and everything in between ;)

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• SRC Member
Wow looks pretty cool... do you think your 3W LED can be dimmed? Coz my Aqua Medic Light Computer can dim the moonlight following the full moon (70%) / new moon (12%) and everything in between ;)

not sure about that. This night light is quite cheap -> ard $4 if i remember correctly.

Current tank

Past tank

not sure about that. This night light is quite cheap -> ard $4 if i remember correctly.

It may be cheap... but at least it's better than the Ikea lamp I bought ;););) I got a feeling your DIY LED may not be powerful enough... coz if it runs on 12% brightness (new moon cycle)... then basically it will not be noticeable at all... unless we are talking large quantity :unsure:

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

Here's my giant size Algae Blenny... it enjoys hanging around my Zoos Garden and stuck his head inside the Xenia-looking hitchiker :lol:

post-34-1150993189.jpg

My YT enjoying Red Bamboo... courtesy of bro Altantis :bow::bow::bow:

post-34-1150993262.jpg

Emm... my skinny Cleaner Wrasse is MIA for 2 days :unsure: Probably gone :angel: already :erm:

bro ... i tot cleaners are oso hard to maintain ?

They are extremely hard... mine looks healthy at first... even feeding on Cyclopeeze and all... then it just became skinny and MIA :unsure: A lot of reefers already avoiding it... but to me the benefit of having it is far greater than the risk as it contributes to healthier fishes in general... my Tangs, Anthias... so may look for another specimen soon.

• SRC Member

true ... but isnt it better for the species in general to leave them in the sea .... if we keep buying them only to have them die a few months later ... then the population will drop very badly ... but if its aquacultured then its ok ... coz wont affect the natural population .. but then again .. its the same concept of human testing ... waste one life to try try .. hope u dun get offended by this... i read this on some article somewhere and i agree to it ... so just sharing with you .. also another reason why i gave up on MIs liao ..

• SRC Member

They are extremely hard... mine looks healthy at first... even feeding on Cyclopeeze and all... then it just became skinny and MIA :unsure: A lot of reefers already avoiding it... but to me the benefit of having it is far greater than the risk as it contributes to healthier fishes in general... my Tangs, Anthias... so may look for another specimen soon.

Bro, you might want to try Neon Gobies ;)

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/neongobies.htm

true ... but isnt it better for the species in general to leave them in the sea .... if we keep buying them only to have them die a few months later ... then the population will drop very badly ... but if its aquacultured then its ok ... coz wont affect the natural population .. but then again .. its the same concept of human testing ... waste one life to try try .. hope u dun get offended by this... i read this on some article somewhere and i agree to it ... so just sharing with you .. also another reason why i gave up on MIs liao ..

Hehe... that's a controversial topic you are getting into... let me ask you one question... r u against animal testing... say testing some medications on lab mice... well for me, I have to look at the big picture, if the sacrifice can enable tens of thousands of people to continue living healthily then I guess the sacrifice has to be made...

I guess same inside my tank... the benefit of having a cleaner wrasse is pretty obvious... that is what they are for... my larger fishes look much healthier with this guy around... but of course I always hope that they will survive (that was my first btw)... I do feed it with Cyclopeeze... so it's a hard decision really... do you want your other larger (more expensive, prized) fishes to stay healthier?

Of course Cleaner Shrimp can also do the job... now there are conservationists against the collection of Skunk Cleaner Shrimps... what's next? Ban the import export of marine fishes and corals altogether? Well... deep down... we know that they will do much much better in nature... so it's kinda hard to make a clear concious decision here as we are all guilty in one way or another :)

• SRC Member

Hehe... that's a controversial topic you are getting into... let me ask you one question... r u against animal testing... say testing some medications on lab mice... well for me, I have to look at the big picture, if the sacrifice can enable tens of thousands of people to continue living healthily then I guess the sacrifice has to be made...

I guess same inside my tank... the benefit of having a cleaner wrasse is pretty obvious... that is what they are for... my larger fishes look much healthier with this guy around... but of course I always hope that they will survive (that was my first btw)... I do feed it with Cyclopeeze... so it's a hard decision really... do you want your other larger (more expensive, prized) fishes to stay healthier?

Of course Cleaner Shrimp can also do the job... now there are conservationists against the collection of Skunk Cleaner Shrimps... what's next? Ban the import export of marine fishes and corals altogether? Well... deep down... we know that they will do much much better in nature... so it's kinda hard to make a clear concious decision here as we are all guilty in one way or another :)

Bro Jervis

l dun think cleaner wrasse is a MUST to have in order to keep tank fishes healthy lah. The key issue here is abt whether it is a necessity to have a cleaner wrasse.

There are many other means to keep fishes healthy mah. Hence, your comparison with usage of lab mice for human good is not appropriate at all.

A life is still a life, as it may not directly related to you, so you may not feel it...of course, we can't escape in this hobby from being guilty of taking something out of the reef in one way or another, the least we cld do is to prevent future mistakes. l made many mistakes too and guilty of some fish "murder", but i learnt to avoid future doings.

Hope you have no hard feelings, just sharing my 2cts. :)

Bro, you might want to try Neon Gobies ;)

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/neongobies.htm

Ahh... commercially bred... will definitely be easier to keep... but the problem is they are highly sought-after and the price is quite insane :shock::shock::shock: Emm... perhaps... my next candidate :)

l dun think cleaner wrasse is a MUST to have in order to keep tank fishes healthy lah. The key issue here is abt whether it is a necessity to have a cleaner wrasse.

There are many other means to keep fishes healthy mah. Hence, your comparison with usage of lab mice for human good is not appropriate at all.

A life is still a life, as it may not directly related to you, so you may not feel it...of course, we can't escape in this hobby from being guilty of taking something out of the reef in one way or another, the least we cld do is to prevent future mistakes. l made many mistakes too and guilty of some fish "murder", but i learnt to avoid future doings.

Hope you have no hard feelings, just sharing my 2cts. :)

Bro Underwater, thanks for your explaination... perhaps I should study more... perhaps a cleaner wrasse is just a redundant little fellow waiting to be sacrificed inside our tanks... but it's so so amazing seeing it clean my fishes... perhaps I should rely more on my Cleaner Shrimps... which I have 4 btw :lol::lol::lol:

Am I the only one with Cleaner Wrasse in the tank?!? Can any successful bro share your success stories with me?

Perhaps a Neon Gobies huh?

Nah... of course no hard feelings... you are just trying to share your experiences... I really appreciate it :lol:

• SRC Member

Ahh... commercially bred... will definitely be easier to keep... but the problem is they are highly sought-after and the price is quite insane :shock::shock::shock: Emm... perhaps... my next candidate :)

Hmm, since they're hardy fishes after reading from the website, l may try to look out for it too. Though they may be expensive, but i think worth it lah as a good substitute for cleaner wrasse.

• SRC Member

im not against animal testing ... and im not against collection of hard to keep critters .... just tt i feel its unfair for a species that us reefers to keep on getting them if our tanks cannot support their needs ... its our responsiblity as reefers to care for the well being of species .. u are aware that there are many shady collectors around and they care only about making money .. so its up to us to protect the future of the species ..

anyways its only your first one ... maybe it was just bad luck tt it died ... but if its like ur 10 or 15 specimen ... haha ... ya la ..

just my views only la ... not out for a debate anyways... :lol:

for me i dun invest in exp specimens .. my main concern is those widely collected and lower spawning rate creatures ... as the reproduction may not be enuff to replenish in time for the collections and the numbers will drop ...

ok .. time to end this anyway .. what u want to buy is in your power anyway .. its ur money .... unless u wanna give me some ... :evil::evil::evil::evil:

Regarding the cleaner wrasse, I feel that it is more than just failure to sustain them in captivity. That is the other down side of keeping them. The real impact is that fishes in the wild actually depends on these fishes to keep them free from parasites. Over collection of the cleaner wrasses may result in more fishes in the wild succumbing to parasitic infections. Besides, there are other fishes or shrimps that can perform the same role (cleaner shrimps, neon gobies) in our tanks. Anyway, if you really want to get one ... don't get those multicolored ones. Some reefers do have success with the common cleaner wrasses (the blue ones)

Just to clarify that I am no expert here but I read the above somewhere (possibly wetwebmedia.com) and just to share. And definitely no offence to bro Jervis or anyone ... even Henry (in my opinion, a very respected reefer ###### LFS owner) keeps a cleaner wrasse in his display tank ... and very successfully too!

Specs

Return pump: 2 x Eheim 1260 (with 1 pumped to chiller before returning to main)
Chiller: Hailea HC-500A (1/2 hp)
Skimmer: Deltec SC2060
Lightings: 8 x 24W ATI Sunpower T5 fixture
Wavemakers: Vortech MP40, MP10, Tunze nanostream 6045
Additives: TLF C-balance (2 parts Ca and Alk) via Kamoer 3 channel dosing pump; Polyp-lab Reef Resh; FM color elements

bro i just thought of this ... maybe its possible for u ... u got artic-pods ! haha

Yeah... Arcti-Podsâ„¢ pods came in a little too late... see I told ya this is a controversial topic... and proven to be one... coz there's no right or wrong... it's just a matter of at which angle you are looking at it... I will be more mindful when I purchase my next specimen... but I very much like to give it another try. I will talk to more people which type/species will give a higher chance of survival.

Bro Jacobus... no hard feelings yah... and although I may seem to be the "I got money, I can buy whatever I want"... but don't have to keep reminding the readers lah... I'm still a newbie... and sometimes mistakes like this can be quite unavoidable :lol:

But in the broader perspective... I believe that most of the fishes and corals that we purchase from LFS nowadays are better off to be left in the ocean... that's the tricky part of this hobby... and it takes a lot of knowledge and control to be able to be in this hobby without affecting the balance of nature... perhaps the Singapore government should subsidize/encourage more fish farms to breed/cultivate marine life instead of Guppies and LuoHans :lol:

Hi bro,

Here's a good read!

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/labroide.htm

Specs

Return pump: 2 x Eheim 1260 (with 1 pumped to chiller before returning to main)
Chiller: Hailea HC-500A (1/2 hp)
Skimmer: Deltec SC2060
Lightings: 8 x 24W ATI Sunpower T5 fixture
Wavemakers: Vortech MP40, MP10, Tunze nanostream 6045
Additives: TLF C-balance (2 parts Ca and Alk) via Kamoer 3 channel dosing pump; Polyp-lab Reef Resh; FM color elements

• SRC Member

haha .. bro ... u got the wrong part .... the hint was....

i said ..

ok .. time to end this anyway .. what u want to buy is in your power anyway .. its ur money .... unless u wanna give me some ... <----

the last sentence is the impt one ... hahahahaha ... k la ... sry for sparking a big hoo hah in ur thread ... i buy u coffee one day ok ? we can go chiong oso .. haha ... so sorry bro ..

sry for sparking a big hoo hah in ur thread ... i buy u coffee one day ok ? we can go chiong oso .. haha ... so sorry bro ..

Aiya... hoo hah is good... or else my thread will be so boring... how many pics of my Gonio can I post?!? :lol::lol::lol:

Time for some updates... rushed down to "you know where" this morning... reach there at 9.40am... no Thais in sight... but Singaporeans are much much more scary :shock::shock::shock: Really an eye opener :shock::shock::shock:

Bought some Tonga Zoos... as I need to rush back to the office, I can't wait for the polyps to open up... so I just bought 3 pieces (that's what my 2 hands can reach btw... they all come in gangs... 5 to 6 pairs of hands leh... don't play play :lol: )

Came home... and found that out of the 3... 1 is PINK Zoos... and the other 2 (nicely grown on Tonga branches) are GREEN ;););) I know... all the fuss... for some Green Zoos :pinch::pinch::pinch:

Here's a pix of the colonies... temporary location till my next major rescaping :)

post-34-1151065799.jpg