jervismun

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• SRC Member

Bro... I forbid you from buying anymore new LS for at least 7 days starting tomorrow... something is fundamentally wrong... and I got a feeling it is much more major than mere Ammonia/Nitrate... I think it is your Salinity... just like what happened to my tank before... quick do a proper test!!! Get second opinion if possible... bring your water or hydrometer down to a LFS if possible.

SG is at 1.026. a lil high, but i dun think its really much of a problem right...? will get it lowered tomorrow...

• SRC Member
count the poor chap in!

No prob...

My Beautiful ANGEL - Matsushima Nanako

Equipment List for 4x2x2 Tank & 3x1.5x1.5 Sump

Hagen 802 x 2, Tunze 6060, Arcadia T5 (54W x 8), Eheim 1260 (return) Eheim 1250 (Chiller), Aquabee 300 x 2 (Feed)

H&S 150-F2001 (850l Skimmer), H&S A110-F2000 (400l Skimmer), H&S 110-F1000 (1000l Sulphur/Nitrate Filter), H&S 150-F2000IA (800l Calcium Reactor)

Coralife 3X (UV Steriliser), I-Aquatic IF 312 (Fluidised Reactor), Kent Kalk Delivery, Resun CL650, Pinpoint ORP & PH Meters & Wireless Thermometer

4x2x2 Tank Thread

SG is at 1.026. a lil high, but i dun think its really much of a problem right...? will get it lowered tomorrow...

Bro what kinda hydrometer u using? Some tend to give unreliable readings... that's why it's good to have another piece of equipment to counter check... your tank does have the symptoms of a high Sg problem.

That's how I lost my 2 Green Chromis, 1 Skunk Clown, 1 Maroon Clown, 2 Benggai Cardinals & etc. within a few days period :cry2:

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

how high was your high then??

my hydrometer is the glass one, shoudl not be the problem, cos everything still opening up...

My high was 1.027 to 1.028 :pinch::pinch::pinch:

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• SRC Member

Bro Colin, must lower down you SG... becos I only need to ensure my hydrometer to be 1.022 when preparing salt water to store for water change.... the result I will get using a refractormeter is 1.025 :evil:

Bro Colin, must lower down you SG... becos I only need to ensure my hydrometer to be 1.022 when preparing salt water to store for water change.... the result I will get using a refractormeter is 1.025 :evil:

Yupe... that's why I think we should all use a Refractometer instead... those glass type lah... plastic arm type lar... all waste money <_<

The actual wastage is on the perished LS... keep on stocking LS... keep on dying... busy with test kits also not helping coz the problem is so fundamentally simple... and a lot of us overlooked that part :) (I'm referring to myself 2 month ago)

Here's how the Marine Copepods from Arctic Ocean looks like :o

post-34-1150823632.jpg

My fishes incl. my platoon of Dispar Anthias love the Arcti-Pods™ :lol::lol::lol: Notice the Red Bamboo on the background? Thanks to bro Altantis :lol:

post-34-1150823745.jpg

See how's things are growing totally out of control in my tank... I didn't know Xenia spread like this... didn't know their polyp can float 1/2 feet away and start a new colony... just like that :unsure:

Will continue to update you guys whenever I can see growth :lol:

post-34-1150824822.jpg

are they alive...?

Hehe... nope... after travelling 10000 miles to Singapore... cannot expect them to still stay alive lah :lol::lol::lol:

Err... got a strong feeling I've added a piece of SPS into my tank by mistake (was told a LPS)

A bro had helped me ID it and most probably it is a Merulina... if it's true than "die" liao... but on the bright side... it is looking fairly happy in my tank... luckily the placement is quite strategic from the very beginning... lots of light and medium water flow

Merulina Coral

(Merulina ampliata)

Care Level: Difficult

Light: High

Water Flow: Medium

Placement: Middle to Top

Tank Conditions: 72-78°F; sg 1.023-1.025; pH 8.1-8.4; dKH 8-12

Color Form: Blue, Brown, Cream, Green, Pink, Violet

Temperament: Peaceful

Ideal Supplements: Calcium, Trace Elements

Origin: Indian Ocean, Pacific Ocean, Red Sea

Family: Merulinidae

The Merulina Coral is a small polyp stony (SPS) coral also known as Lettuce, Cabbage, Ridge, or Ruffled Coral. Most aquarists will receive the species M. ampliata that commonly lives in lagoons and other sheltered areas of the reef. Merulina Coral colonies begin life as an encrusting coral. With time, growth, and prevailing conditions, they start to develop the more spectacular structures that have made them famous with reef aquarists everywhere. It is normal to see the intricate skeleton frame through its skin. Fan-like plates are usually the first to form. More plates then form in the center of the fan, creating a ruffled appearance that truly resembles a head of cabbage or lettuce.

The Merulina Coral will need a high light level and placement at mid-level or higher in the aquarium with a medium water movement. While it rarely exposes its polyps, they may occasionally be seen at night. The sweeper tentacles that are used to gather food will reach about three inches in length. It is, therefore, a good idea to keep other corals outside of this range. For continued good health, it will require the addition of calcium, strontium, and other trace elements to the water.

It will benefit from additional food in the form of micro-plankton or brine shrimp twice a week.

post-34-1150854906.jpg

Hi guys... I think my thread is getting way... too long... I am thinking of splitting it into a new part and get the moderator to lock this thread (indefinitely)... I will still provide link back to this original part.

What you guys think? Prefer the thread to continue on... or split? Your call really :D

continue ! next time can win award for longest book ... or can become a autobiography .... the life of jervis' tank ... haha :lol:

Yeah... more like an autobiography of my ENTIRE LIFE!!!... and all my $$$ :pinch::pinch::pinch:

• SRC Member
Hi guys... I think my thread is getting way... too long... I am thinking of splitting it into a new part and get the moderator to lock this thread (indefinitely)... I will still provide link back to this original part.

What you guys think? Prefer the thread to continue on... or split? Your call really :D

Regardless which way, we want to continue reading your progress!

Regardless which way, we want to continue reading your progress!

:thanks: for your kind words and support :thanks:

Bought an IKEA clip-on low wattage halogen lamp just now... see if I can try out the dusk/dawn/moonlight effect using the Aqua Medic Light Computer :) Will post update for sure :lol:

• SRC Member
Err... got a strong feeling I've added a piece of SPS into my tank by mistake (was told a LPS)

A bro had helped me ID it and most probably it is a Merulina... if it's true than "die" liao... but on the bright side... it is looking fairly happy in my tank... luckily the placement is quite strategic from the very beginning... lots of light and medium water flow

Merulina Coral

(Merulina ampliata)

Care Level: Difficult

Light: High

Water Flow: Medium

Placement: Middle to Top

Tank Conditions: 72-78°F; sg 1.023-1.025; pH 8.1-8.4; dKH 8-12

Color Form: Blue, Brown, Cream, Green, Pink, Violet

Temperament: Peaceful

Ideal Supplements: Calcium, Trace Elements

Origin: Indian Ocean, Pacific Ocean, Red Sea

Family: Merulinidae

The Merulina Coral is a small polyp stony (SPS) coral also known as Lettuce, Cabbage, Ridge, or Ruffled Coral. Most aquarists will receive the species M. ampliata that commonly lives in lagoons and other sheltered areas of the reef. Merulina Coral colonies begin life as an encrusting coral. With time, growth, and prevailing conditions, they start to develop the more spectacular structures that have made them famous with reef aquarists everywhere. It is normal to see the intricate skeleton frame through its skin. Fan-like plates are usually the first to form. More plates then form in the center of the fan, creating a ruffled appearance that truly resembles a head of cabbage or lettuce.

The Merulina Coral will need a high light level and placement at mid-level or higher in the aquarium with a medium water movement. While it rarely exposes its polyps, they may occasionally be seen at night. The sweeper tentacles that are used to gather food will reach about three inches in length. It is, therefore, a good idea to keep other corals outside of this range. For continued good health, it will require the addition of calcium, strontium, and other trace elements to the water.

It will benefit from additional food in the form of micro-plankton or brine shrimp twice a week.

wah nice colour... u got the similare piece in ur tank?

wah nice colour... u got the similare piece in ur tank?

Similar in form/shape... but the colour is not so nice lah... or else I would've have to pay a :nuke: for it... it's brown in colour with luminence green dots all over...

Hehe... my so-called moonlight... a $15 Ikea 20W halogen lamp... currently running at 70% I believe... let's see if it will dim further later once the main light is being switched off :)

post-34-1150899404.jpg

• SRC Member

wow ... never cease to learn more from you ... although i may never be able to emulate your setup ... haha ... i LOVE petmart .... the prices are :yeah::yeah::yeah: ..... but their delivery ah .... jia lat ... told me my stuff will be delivered at arnd 9 ... but until now ... luckily ... one of the aunties there stay near me ... gonna knock on their door later .. hahaha

wow ... never cease to learn more from you ... although i may never be able to emulate your setup ... haha ... i LOVE petmart .... the prices are :yeah::yeah::yeah: ..... but their delivery ah .... jia lat ... told me my stuff will be delivered at arnd 9 ... but until now ... luckily ... one of the aunties there stay near me ... gonna knock on their door later .. hahaha

Emm... I have not been to Petmart actually... but heard so much about them (esp. lately)... perhaps I should drop by when my wallet is a bit FULLER or when my credit bill is a bit LIGHTER :lol::lol::lol: Emm... so far all the LFS I dealed with are very punctual... you should complain to them as not everybody can wait at home for more than 90 mins... and still not delivered <_<