suggestions for small pet

Kelmen

• SRC Member

apart from the aquaria one, any good suggestions for other small pets?

I'm thinking:

- land hermit: hard to find store sell anything relevant to this type, limited accessibility to relevant products\necessity.

- hamster : lifespan too short.

- cat : possibly, mmm about toilet manner....

- dog : not suitable for me since staying in apartment.

- monkey\squirrel : no big trees in home, chaos seems ensuring....

- lizard : apart from cool looking.... haven't grow any more feel toward them.... yet.

- any others? Prefer small\mini longer lifespan (10 years +, easily breedable)

forget about roaches 小强 , allergy to them....

• SRC Member

Land hermit try Junction 8.. there's a hermit crab store there.. and everything you need for hermits.

all their hermits comes wit cute painted shells too.. :P

Why do we use "My 2 cents worth" when 1 cents are not legal tender in Singapore anymore? Shouldn't it be 5 cents worth?

"Its easier to blame the 'mantis' or crabs in the tank for missing & dead livestocks.."

http://arcanehacker.blogspot.com/

• SRC Member

chinchilla? cuddly

Main Tank : 48 inch by 36 inch by 28 inch (2 sides starphire glass)
Sump Tank :
Return Pump :
Chiller : Starmax Compressor 1 HP Drop coil
Chiller Return Pump
Protein Skimmer :
Wave Maker :
Fluidised Reactor :

• SRC Member
chinchilla? cuddly

interesting.....

http://members.aol.com/sirchin/faqs.htm

they are a rodent

Chins have been reported to live up to 20 years. The average is 15 years

Do they bite?

Generally speaking, NO. A chin will nibble on you to check you out. They don't normally bite unless they feeling threatened or you are abusing them. They may pee on you if they don't like you or the way your smell. The chin breeder where I live had to take the chins out of his petstore because they liked to spray the customers

===

however, seems to me these cutey are from moutain top, doesn't look good to me to live in our hot habitat.

And have to supply them the proper wood shaving probably no easy too....

• SRC Member

guinea pig?

They are quite adorable, bigger than hamsters, a bit noisy at times coz they squeak... depending on the temprement some do bite but overall they are like bundles of energy esp. when it comes to feeding time.

Go read up about it..

Erv.

• SRC Member

interesting.....

http://members.aol.com/sirchin/faqs.htm

they are a rodent

Chins have been reported to live up to 20 years. The average is 15 years

Do they bite?

Generally speaking, NO. A chin will nibble on you to check you out. They don't normally bite unless they feeling threatened or you are abusing them. They may pee on you if they don't like you or the way your smell. The chin breeder where I live had to take the chins out of his petstore because they liked to spray the customers

===

however, seems to me these cutey are from moutain top, doesn't look good to me to live in our hot habitat.

And have to supply them the proper wood shaving probably no easy too....

yeah.. chinchillas need cool air.. so probably need an airconditioned room.

Why do we use "My 2 cents worth" when 1 cents are not legal tender in Singapore anymore? Shouldn't it be 5 cents worth?

"Its easier to blame the 'mantis' or crabs in the tank for missing & dead livestocks.."

http://arcanehacker.blogspot.com/

keke. i used to hope that i can rear penguin or dolphin .

hamster are great to mi as of now . low maintenance and they give give birth .

haha.

Rabbit ? 5-8 years life span and get a lop . extremely affectionate .but more maintanence than a hammy.

talkign abbout that , need to feed my lionhead le

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Lighting: AI hydra 52HD

Skimmer: Deltec SC 1455

Reactor: Minimax; rowaphos

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

Wave Maker: MP 40 WQD

Return pump: Eheim 1262

Chiller: Arctica 1/10 hp

A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel -- Proverbs 12:10

Chins are not that difficult to keep... I have my baby for 5 year plus now... They will slowly adapt to the temp in SG...

No special care needed... The price have drop drastically since they were first introduce..

Guinea Pig is a good choice too... But they need time to get used to the owner and must spend a lot of time with them to tame them...

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

• SRC Member

Guinea Pigs make wonderful pets ! Read more about it, am sure you will love it. Have coronets before amongst other breeds ! they are just wonderful ! Suggest you get an English Self...hehhehe

My Beautiful ANGEL - Matsushima Nanako

Equipment List for 4x2x2 Tank & 3x1.5x1.5 Sump

Hagen 802 x 2, Tunze 6060, Arcadia T5 (54W x 8), Eheim 1260 (return) Eheim 1250 (Chiller), Aquabee 300 x 2 (Feed)

H&S 150-F2001 (850l Skimmer), H&S A110-F2000 (400l Skimmer), H&S 110-F1000 (1000l Sulphur/Nitrate Filter), H&S 150-F2000IA (800l Calcium Reactor)

Coralife 3X (UV Steriliser), I-Aquatic IF 312 (Fluidised Reactor), Kent Kalk Delivery, Resun CL650, Pinpoint ORP & PH Meters & Wireless Thermometer

4x2x2 Tank Thread

• SRC Member

My late Lady Windermere

Winda02

My Beautiful ANGEL - Matsushima Nanako

Equipment List for 4x2x2 Tank & 3x1.5x1.5 Sump

Hagen 802 x 2, Tunze 6060, Arcadia T5 (54W x 8), Eheim 1260 (return) Eheim 1250 (Chiller), Aquabee 300 x 2 (Feed)

H&S 150-F2001 (850l Skimmer), H&S A110-F2000 (400l Skimmer), H&S 110-F1000 (1000l Sulphur/Nitrate Filter), H&S 150-F2000IA (800l Calcium Reactor)

Coralife 3X (UV Steriliser), I-Aquatic IF 312 (Fluidised Reactor), Kent Kalk Delivery, Resun CL650, Pinpoint ORP & PH Meters & Wireless Thermometer

4x2x2 Tank Thread

Nothing beats a gecko. Go for a leopard gecko and you will never regret. Max size = palm + fingers. Non-endangered species. Many already available in Sg, you just have to have the correct networks. Fairly easy to take care of and adults only need to be fed 2-3 times a week. Best is that they are not skittish animals and will happily lie on your tummy while you watch tv. They easily live well over 10 years in captivity. Can read up more on www.geckoworld.net

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

• SRC Member

Hello pet lovers !!!

Rats

Smart & very active.

Not as cuddley as hamsters as their fur not so long.

I like the way they wrap their tails around my fingers.

Bite a little & very shy.

Hamsters

I have breed 30 + black bear dwarf hamsters b4.

Stopped long ago. They were house in 3 seperate tanks.

1 tank males, 1 tank females & 1 tank breeding pair.

1x cleaning a wk. Some bite some dun. See luck.

They reconise the smell of your hand. Will climb on

let U carry. Imagine 20 females trying 2 climb onto 2 open palms.

Pretty fun. :D Why not 20 female humans .... :angel:

Guinea Pigs

Kept 3 guinea pigs b4 too. Housed in a 3 ft tank on the

kitchen floor. They need cage cleaning 2x a wk. Not simple

leh. 3 ft tank.... They love vege. DO NOT bring them for walk like a dog.

Kana fleas & parasites then jia lat. Mine died due to parasites.

Bring 2 doc but only 1 recovered. They will eat grass like cows. :yeah:

Oh 1 more thing. They can swim. :heh: Dun ask.....

They hate baths.... :evil:

Have 2 blow dry their hair.

They will shiver & sneeze. :blink:

Lots of pros & cons not listed.

Please do more reading b4 buying any pet.

Cheers !!! ;)

• SRC Member
Nothing beats a gecko. Go for a leopard gecko ...

based on reading, is heater\lighting required for them? Seems like the temperature here should be good enough for them.

They feed on live insects only? They take pellet\man-made food?

I wonder do they have a taste in household pests like cockroachs, fly, mosquitos...?

based on reading, is heater\lighting required for them? Seems like the temperature here should be good enough for them.

They feed on live insects only? They take pellet\man-made food?

I wonder do they have a taste in household pests like cockroachs, fly, mosquitos...?

Most hardcore reptile keepers will suggest that you have a proper basking spotlight which emits UV-B rays, supplemented with a FL tube which emits UV-A too. However, leopard geckos are nocturnal animals. I don't find a need to provide them with such basking spots in Singapore as most of the time it is warm enough for them. Main thing for small specimens is calcium+vitamin D3 supplements (you can get them from petmart). You dust this on their food, which includes mealworms/crickets. Or just place the supplement in a dish and the gecko will lick the supplement when it wants too. Larger specimens will take superworms. I know of a leopard gecko accepting frozen caterpillars. Then again, this must be trained. Most of the time they only accept live prey. I don't suggest feeding cockroaches as you don't know where they have been (insecticides, etc). Grasshoppers can be an occassional treat too, you can find these at bird shops at certain seasons. As for substrate, good old newspaper will do fine. No need for desert sand unless you want the tank to look nice. If you want a lizard which will feed on pellets you can consider a bearded dragon. However, these grow slightly larger (about 1ft) and require vegetable matter in their diet, in addition to insect prey. You can look up on reptile products at www.exo-terra.com

I know of a distributor of exo-terra in Sg, pm me if you want more details. Or you could always swing by reptile shops in Malaysia to have a look. ;)

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/