which fish can help to clear up the hair alage ?

chercm

• SRC Member

hi there bro chercm,

the algae blennies and tomini tangs are your best bet. they consume hair algaes voraciously, though they shit alot too, so to reduce the nutrients in your tank, upon the introduction of these fish, you should try to siphon out their poo to prevent it from cycling within your tank to fuel more algaes.

i recently gave away my tiny tomini tang, to bro dkk, as it was swimming aggressively into my black cap, but before that, it produced a full handful of shit on the sandbed daily, that was greenish in colour, and did a good job consuming algaes.

all rabbitfish are good algae grazers too, the foxface being one of them, though they get quite big, and might nip on your corals.

ive tried seahares, and theyre good if you dont have lots of sps type corals, as they used to commit suicide in my tank, as they have small heads but big butts, and theyre not very smart, so theyd stick their head between my sps branches, then realise their butt cant go through, but they cant gohstan so they push forward till the sps corallites damage their skin, and just die there. but great algae grazers otherwise.

mithrax crabs are good likewise, and emerald crabs for valonia sp bubble algaes.

cheers,

ian

• SRC Member

haha, my seahare also got stuck between life rock!! the backside too big to squeeze through too! clear very little algae b4 it die :(

I prefer the spiny strombus (not sure the spelling) some snail like guys. 5 of them clear up my algae in my 2 feet tank around 1 week :)

• SRC Member
ive tried seahares, and theyre good if you dont have lots of sps type corals, as they used to commit suicide in my tank, as they have small heads but big butts, and theyre not very smart,

I bought 1 from ML for my wife tank and within a few days, the LR are super clean.

my advice, set 1 short spike sea urchin( they will take care of the " rootz' of your hair algae problem, additionally get a couple ofr turbo snails, peppermint shrimp,-,a black sea cucumber for your clean up crew!

vipersig.jpg

I agree with LinKinPark - the only permanent solution to the green hair algae is to improve the water parameter.

When I got a vast outbreak of green algae, I tried tangs, lawnmower bennies, seahares etc. But could not get it under control. Only when I got my nitrate/phospate under control did it go away.

BTW, from my opinion, seahares were the most effective consumer of green hair algae BUT they keep on commiting suicide - in my case they keep getting sucked into my circulation seio pumps. They also like to squirt purple ink when they are moved or scared - but that's not a problem once you carefully introduce them into the tank.

My brown tang and sailfin tang loves to nip at the greeny hair algae. ;)

(~ cci[RR]us ~)
A pair of Nemos :: Deep Sand Bed
Solite 2x24W T5 :: Prizm Skimmer with Overflow attachment

where got sell smaller brown tang ?

Humble tank :

Size: 4x2.5x2 ft - Display 

Equipment :

Return 1 : Ecotech marine L1

Return 2 : Ecotech marine M1

CR : Skimz CM122 - Caribsea extra course media with Grotech magnesium

Light : ATI 8x54W