Cleaner wrasse

• SRC Member
Hi! just got a yellow headed cleaner wrasse!

Great fish! swim like a mosquito flying around my fishes, looking for parasite to eat??

Any tips to take care of this guy? how to feed?

Thanks!! :D

Hi, cleaner wrasses are notoriously hard to feed. In fact, most starve to death after they've cleared the parasites from your fishes. There are some reefers who'll advice you never to buy that fish. Try feeding them live brine shrimps or garlic soaked food. Another 1 you might try is Henry's food. GD luck!~ :) Oh, heard some small gobies does the cleaning job too, and of course the cleaner shrimps.

My Newbie Tank Thread

My Blog

All pics taken with CanoN!~

• SRC Member

hihi bro... i m one of those culprit who caused a few cleaner wrasses' death... always think it can survive and in fact initially it'll survive ... feed well etc etc .. n then suddenly one day it just disappears... this has happened to me 3-4 times, so i reckon its best to not keep them... cleaner shrimps are easier plus they scavenge yr snad bed for leftovers

Main Tank : 48 inch by 36 inch by 28 inch (2 sides starphire glass)
Sump Tank :
Return Pump :
Chiller : Starmax Compressor 1 HP Drop coil
Chiller Return Pump
Protein Skimmer :
Wave Maker :
Fluidised Reactor :

• SRC Member
hihi bro... i m one of those culprit who caused a few cleaner wrasses' death... always think it can survive and in fact initially it'll survive ... feed well etc etc .. n then suddenly one day it just disappears... this has happened to me 3-4 times, so i reckon its best to not keep them... cleaner shrimps are easier plus they scavenge yr snad bed for leftovers

Hi

Agreed with Dazza.... everithing seems normal for a few months then they suddenly disappear.... :cry2::cry2::cry2:

However, my friend has been sucessful keeping one for 3 years.... I wonder why too..... :whistle

yah tried feeding that guy.. apparently he is much more interested with the other fishes body than the food!! hahah...... stress...

anyway thanks for the feedback guys!

tried feeding some other meaty food like brine shrimps instead, as mysis shrimps might be too large for their relatively small mouths.

always important to buy a feeding and relatively larger sized specimen. got mine for ard 8mths now feeding pellets, mysis, nori and parasites.

Ha..ha.. This fish is one of the most kind of a heng-sway fish :D:D:D Had stop buying it after had tried 5-6 times. Some eat very well but disappear after few days and the longest surviving history that I had was like 3 weeks and after that it kapoot :lol::lol::lol: . :whistle That is why its so cheap. He..he.Good luck dude.

i got my cleaner wrasse from ML. its really greedy, to a pt its kinda irritating. when i had my sun corals, i fed it using the bottle top method, the cleaner wrasse would squeeze through the make shift netting to snatch the food. it still does that to my other corals. it even pecks on my hand when i put my hand in. so yeah, get a wrasse from henry, gd stuff. its feeding on henry's food only, no pellets tho..

be prepared to pay slightly more from henry tho, good stuff dun come as cheap. ;)

Try to buy from Marine Life, Henry, his cleaner wrasse is fantastic, accept almost any food, he is willing to test feed as well. But most of the cleaner wrasse's life span is'nt very long, I don't understand this either. At 1st I thought it was because they eats parasite and that cause their short life span, but after feeding them with marine food, they still die in a few months time, hmm, some bros can help in this?

• SRC Member

Have read up articles that reported that other coloured (like yellow head) cleaner wrasse is impossible to keep as their diet is exclusively parasites.. and they will still waste away even if they do feed on normal food like mysis shrimp... <_<

Normal type of cleaner wrasse has the best possibilty of survival in captivity... and so far from what i read up and get to know from reefers in this forum... there has being cases of successful story with the normal cleaner wrasse..

In fact i juz tried one normal wrasse in my tank a few mths back... lasted abt 2 weeks only.. :cry:

• 4 weeks later...