Cyanide used to catch fish

ericlong

Are we prepare to stop buy fish that collected by cyanide. As i know almost every fish that stupified enough to be caught in this way is likely to be destined for ill-heath. Their liver and kidneys will have already suffered irreversible damage, the degree of which will depend on the duration of contact with the cyanide solution. at first they may appear healthy, but after about a month, they will start to show signs of distress, swimming in circles,stopped feeding and become so emaciated that their ribs can be seen through the skin. Then they die.............so why we still buy fish at our LFS that sell fishes caught using drug and keep wasting our money and time supporting the retailer. We, the Hobbyist have the right to protect our marine fish live. So please stop buying fish caught using cyanide, in return the retailer will stop buy fish from wholesaler and provide quailty fish. " HELP OUR MARINE FRIENDS"in return they will live happy after or...the end :thanks:

• SRC Member

Besides the questions as posted from spaceman, a few questions for you:

1) Do you keep marine fishes?

2) Where do you buy your marine fishes from?

3) Are the fishes bought from your LFS cyanide free?

If your answers to the 3 questions are yes, then let's buy from your LFS.

• SRC Member

spaceman: i personally look out for these signs

1) white facaes (white shit). this is i believe one of the most dominant signs of cyanide capture

2)the fish has sucken in temples...trust me, when you see this you will know...so far for me this its very intuitive...the moment u see the fish u know sth is wrong, it looks unusually thin or depressed

when i first started out in the hobby, cyanide fishes were the way to go, :paiseh: mainly cos they are much cheaper. but as time goes on, you'll begin to learn that sometimes, or infact most of the time it is worth it to pay the extra bucks because your fish will be

1)more healthy

2)feed better

3)swim more lively

4)colours up better

now i never buy cyanide caught fishes

as for which shops carry cyanide caught fishes, well, u can never say for sure, sometimes some shipments have them sometimes some shipments don't

its really doesn't depend much on the shop but rather the supplier that sent the shipment in.

2 gauges that i use faithfully are

1)price of fish

2)place where the fish came from

that said, after this last 1.5yrs of shopping for fishes, i can pretty much bet on which shops i trust that do not carry cyanide caught fishes

i shan't name the shops here due to the sensitivity of this topic but if anyone is interested, you can always pm me

and bro ericlong, nice to know that someone out there shares this enthusiasm against this terrible cyanide method.

to add on, cyanide doesn't just damage the fishes, the CORALs within the vacinity where the cyanide was sprayed will also die. so please, when u buy cyanide fishes, think of not just the fishes, but the corals as well. this issue is widely documented on the net. anyone interested to read more can always surf ard

cheers! :D

to bro shoelevy..thank for supporting. well said, as i forget to write the effect of the durg on the coral. well one thing to point out. i do not really agree with those LSF that sold druged fish as they know the effect on the fish, yet the still sell them out of profit. So sad of them, in return bad name of those shop. We the hobbyist had the call. i still remember the LSF that i alway buy for them, but one by one the fish die after a period of time and i stop buying for them....lost of business from me.....to other might give up the hobby too...

if i can , i will not buy cyanide caught fishes too.

BUT, how to tell ?

no labelling saying ( cyanide caught ). very difficult to ascertain even though might have tell tale sign

haiz , to me , as long as the fishes look healthy in Marinelife even though they can be a bit ex, i buy haha.

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Lighting: AI hydra 52HD

Skimmer: Deltec SC 1455

Reactor: Minimax; rowaphos

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

Wave Maker: MP 40 WQD

Return pump: Eheim 1262

Chiller: Arctica 1/10 hp

A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel -- Proverbs 12:10

• SRC Member
if i can , i will not buy cyanide caught fishes too.

BUT, how to tell ?

no labelling saying ( cyanide caught ). very difficult to ascertain even though might have tell tale sign

haiz , to me , as long as the fishes look healthy in Marinelife even though they can be a bit ex, i buy haha.

agree dude

no way to ascertain. only way is to see the fish and trust your gut instinct.

and i would agree that marine life is non-cyanide caught :D

• SRC Member

Good thing that people are more aware and demand not cyanide caught fishes. But it will be more expensive, which i think is more worth it.

My Beautiful ANGEL - Matsushima Nanako

Equipment List for 4x2x2 Tank & 3x1.5x1.5 Sump

Hagen 802 x 2, Tunze 6060, Arcadia T5 (54W x 8), Eheim 1260 (return) Eheim 1250 (Chiller), Aquabee 300 x 2 (Feed)

H&S 150-F2001 (850l Skimmer), H&S A110-F2000 (400l Skimmer), H&S 110-F1000 (1000l Sulphur/Nitrate Filter), H&S 150-F2000IA (800l Calcium Reactor)

Coralife 3X (UV Steriliser), I-Aquatic IF 312 (Fluidised Reactor), Kent Kalk Delivery, Resun CL650, Pinpoint ORP & PH Meters & Wireless Thermometer

4x2x2 Tank Thread

• SRC Member

i think majority of lfs in singapore sell fishes that are

caught using the so call cyanide method

esp when new shipment arrive , you can start to see some fishes

already look super stress and start breathing difficultes

And i was suprise that some reefers dun mind buying the half died

fish, normally tis fishes were sold at a much lower prices

well guess most of new player don't read up the book and go blind. Expect fish to be cheap, fresh and good. So what if u buy cheap from the LSF, then the fish still die..Guess is the hobbyist like us is to be blame, expect to buy cheap stuff and the LSF bring in druged fish as it easily to catch it. But still what is the point, fish still die of drug. To help, stop buy fish from them and pay a pit more for quailty fish is for the long run. For me i normally ask the LSF staff where the fish from and if they are drug. If they are good, they will told u the true, if not ,too bad. Normally i buy fish from usa region as their ava is very strict of using drug.

Have to agree ML has pretty healthy LS. Definately not cyanide caught. Bro hammy, you frequent ML? Go all the way from SK? Very far lehz. :P

at least i study in the west .. so sometime on the way back can just dropby there .

one of the best place to go . humble little shop

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Lighting: AI hydra 52HD

Skimmer: Deltec SC 1455

Reactor: Minimax; rowaphos

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

Wave Maker: MP 40 WQD

Return pump: Eheim 1262

Chiller: Arctica 1/10 hp

A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel -- Proverbs 12:10

if fishes are frm phil ,almost 47% are cynaide caught

indo ranks 2nd wif 30sometink %

i doubt alot of lfs dont know where or how many % the fish are frm/caught

but luckly the collectors are educating the fisherman to net catch their fish

read this frm a diving mag