My 5 feet upgrade

just how many tangs can i fit in my tank? seeing now that a school of yellows wud be very very beaoootiful.....

the gigas im gonna get is around 1 feet width, but the mantle is a bit thin...so im gonna wait for a healthier gigas.

the red sea sailfin wud definitely be my choice of sailfin, the color contrasts of the stripes look better.

so i'll try getting 3 yellows

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so i'll try getting 3 yellows

If you can find some smaller specimens... why not 5? :lol::lol::lol: Your tank is huge enough... but you may want to add the school towards the last... :)

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

save up and buy one good skimmer don add too many skimmer...

Agree with bro Zorden... it's hard to get 2 skimmers with different capacities to work efficiently in a system anyway... normally what will happen is, the more powerful skimmer will skim more... leaving the less efficient one with nothing... waste energy.

I know that it's frustrating in your situation as you do not have that much access to fancy gadgets in Brunei, but a Turboflotor Multi SL can easily handle your tank... even with a few Yellow Tangs. Even then, your tank is still considered low/medium stocking. However, in the long run... I would suggest you seriously look at a more efficient protein skimmer. Always get something 1 to 2 size up.

For example:

1) 'X' skimmer is suitable for 1000 liters to 2000 liters...

Take 1500 liters as the realistic rating

2) 'Y' skimmer is suitable for 2000 liters (low stocking), 1000 liters (high stocking)

Take "high stocking" as eventually your tank will reach that status whether it's intended or not... plus point 1) you end up with around 750 liters (high stocking)

3) 'Z' skimmer can easily manage a 6-footer

Then take a model 1 to 2 size larger than the 'Z' model. Normally 1 size larger is good enough, but if you intend to evolve to SPS one day... get 2 size up.

Also, do take note the power consumption. I got a feeling electricity is subsidized by the Brunei government (I suppose), but power consumption is my main determining factor also especially with the rising energy tariff... this piece of equipment will run 24/7 so it makes a lot of difference, say in the next 3 years.

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

Here are some recent pics i took of the tank. Some close-ups and views of tank hardware:

THE MUSHROOM VILLA

A big colony of hairy shrooms top right, green and red, a red hairy and few metallic green shrooms. planning to expand this mushroom villa with yuma and ricordea!!

080806zoom001.jpg

BLACK FEATHER STAR

This one is around 10" fully expanded. These stars seem to make my tank like having palm trees.....

080806zoom002.jpg

RED MUSHROOM COLONY

These are stretching their stems toward the MH, will hand feed them occasionally

080806zoom003.jpg

GREEN BRAIN CORAL

My first attempt on brains in the new tank. Will be accompanied by more others to come!

080806zoom004.jpg

PAGODA(?) CUP CORAL

If you look closer there are 4 small commensal crabs in the coral! The polyps havent come out yet meh...

080806zoom005.jpg

SCROLL (?) CORAL

Honestly i don knoe what this is. Methinks its a scroll. Quite sharp this!

080806zoom006.jpg

MAROON FEATHER STAR

What a beauty this one! Just as big as the black one! Loves to crawl on my hand when feeding!

080806zoom007.jpg

JEWELS (DAISY?) CORAL

Bought two small pieces of this, just to fill in the empty gaps. Still pretty wahey!

080806zoom008.jpg

HAIRY MUSHROOM

Brown and hairy! Yukky sed me nephews!

080806zoom009.jpg

HAIRY MUSHROOM

This is my biggest shrum colony! Around 1'x1' in size. Hope it spreads like carpet!

080806zoom010.jpg

LEATHER CORAL

This brown leather either fell, or turned flaccid becos too much light. At the front you can see the lonely green shroom

080806zoom011.jpg

ASSORTED MUSHROOM

There you go! Another view of the shroom villa, the leather is its neighbor

080806zoom012.jpg

VIEW FROM THE TOP

Oh how i wish brunei's shoreline's view was like this :(

080806zoom013.jpg

CAN YOU SPOT THE TURBO SNAIL?

One of my many turbos munching on rock grub

080806zoom014.jpg

CAN YOU SPOT THE COWRIE SNAIL?

I love these cowries, so hardworking in cleaning up the tank. Most of them remain underground (the gravel)

080806zoom015.jpg

BLACK CARDINAL

I just love these cardinals. They float in the tank like toys. Im gonna find a red one to pair with this black

080806zoom016.jpg

HELP ME GET OUT!

My tomato clown viweing the return overflow, but in the safe haven of his home the green LT anemone

080806zoom017.jpg

MESSY...

I spent so much time on the display tank i tend to forget whats under the cabinet! What a mess! To the left is my chiller to chill the H20, to the right is me sump which houses my badass hermit crabs and me skimmer

080806zoom018.jpg

LIGHTS, TANK AND POWER!!!!!!

Two MH lights on top with 2 blue tubes, kicks in 400w+!. Every single wiring and plumbing for the tank is done by yours trulee. I personally like wat i did with the electric wiring. The DIY was uber hard werk

080806zoom019.jpg

ANOTHER VIEW

Man the MHs ae really hot. Thankies me gots that aircon unit to cool the tank too! Bless!

080806zoom020.jpg

REFLECTIONS

Its pretty view from bottom up

080806zoom021.jpg

LEFT TANK VIEW

Yellow tinge. I shud clean this side more often. I hope my sand stays that crystal clear white....

080806zoom022.jpg

RIGHT TANK VIEW

Look at my feather star sleeping behind the scroll coral!! Haha! This star really looks like a tarantula when opened, with its black and white stripes. My mom freaked out when she saw it!!!

080806zoom023.jpg

BUBBLE CORAL

Its all about the bubbles! Its half open now! 2-3 more days and it shud be abloomin'

080806zoom024.jpg

TOP VIEW

Wudnt it be lovely if our beaches had view like this? Surface water is before agitation of pump.

080806zoom025.jpg

TOP VIEW OF ANEMONE

Like grass flowing with the wind. The clown loves the comfort curtains of its home!

080806zoom026.jpg

TANK POO!

This after 3 days! My AquaMedic really is bliss! Need to clean this out

080806zoom027.jpg

SUMP

GAhh!!!! Need to upgrade to a bigger sump! In there i have 2 pumps (heat prob here) and me AquaMedic Turboflotor Multi SL skimmer magic. If you look closer, there are 3 red hermit carbs in there. The one with the staghorn-like shell is my biggest hermit.

Erm, i need to organise the filter media layers properly. messeee....

080806zoom028.jpg

There you go freunds und freundlichs

Moar pics to come once i add a few cahnges!!!

Wow!!! What a huge updatezzzzz!!!

That giant Anemone is extremely beautiful bro... very very beautiful :D

How long have you been running your tank now? The reason I ask, doesn't look like a lot of skimmate for 3 days to me :o

Do update us closely on the skimmate... as discussed previously, looking at your tank capacity and LS level... more skimmate is actually expected from the Turboflotor <_<

• SRC Member

set to wet skimmate bro ... better water clarity u will get and modify the skimmate cup to connect to a waste collector. (drill a hole below collector cup and connect a nipple then plug hose to it. The other end either put into a small water bottle or buy a waste collector)

bro Soul, how do i set to wet skimmate? do i just have to lower the skimmer? or is there a toggle switch i need to turn?

meine skimmer ist AquaMedic Turboflotor Multi SL 1000 and i don see any knobs to toggle.....

ive been running the tank for 3 months with cured LR, and no livestovck apart from LR, and ive been dosing Denitrators ever since, plus used lotsa carbon inserts.

i just had the skimmer since last week.

would it be probable to say that ive got dead spots in the tank to push all the poo into the overflow?

for circulation i have a MoZoo 2300 (2300l/h) and 2 Hagen ViaAqua 301 (each around 685l/h)

if i were to add more PH i wud still choose ViaAqua cos each only eats a max 5.5watts.

skimmer is working ok for me.

experiencing a sudden diatom outburst. reason wud most likely be tap water. what livestock wud be able to stir the sand or eat the diatoms?

MH lighting = 10hrs , actinics = 12 hrs.

i'll be picking up my tangs this friday. since i have a 2' LT anemone, wud my tangs be in danger? since they are speeddemons afterall.

this friday be picking up:

1 yellow tang

1 sailfin tang

1 blue tang

1 flame angel

2-3 skunk shrimps

1 gigas

1 maxima

1 big frogspawn

1 big hammer

some waving hands, star polyps

Great to hear your Turboflotor is serving you well :)

Yes tap water is bad... I gotto stop using tap water also :P

You can try Sand Sifting Star, Gobies, Algae Blennies, Hermit (small only), all sorts of Snails, Sea Urchin... my Tangs clean the sand bed too :)

Nah, your Anemone will not harm your Tangs... just have to worry the Anemone will not hurt itself by moving too near a pump/powerhead :lol:

just came back from the LFS and was disappointed because the tangs i booked havent arrived yet. but i got a few good stuff and will post pics soon. highlights are:

1 x gigas clam (2 feet)

1 x squamosa clam (1 feet)

1 x maxima clam (10")

1 x multicolored velvet wrasse

1 x blue watchman goby

Q: How big is the denitrating contribution of clams? I read here and there they lessen nitrates. but how many clams and what sizes would actually impact the balance of normal denitrification filtrations w/o clams?

thanks bro jervis for the mention of urchins. i seriously would like to add a few into my tank.

Well with your 3 giant clams... I think they can contribute to NO3 export quite well... damn... 2ft clam?!? :o

ohnoes!!!

:cry2:

made my first fatal error in livestocking!

i accidentally bought a lyretail wrasse instead of a multicolor wrasse! once it came out of the rocks i knew instantly what it was! i scooped the wrong fish!

wat are my chances of catching it?

btw, i measured the clams

the gigas with the mantle reached 15", not really a 2 feeter.

the squamosa is a 12" while the maxima is an 8-9"

pics up soon....