Hypo sanality

• SRC Member

no cannot have live rocks in hypo

they will die off

:o

but wont cause the fishes to die off, unless certain types of fish like sharks.

if u administer hypo make sure that the salinity is accurate via a refractometer, if not it may not cause the ich parasite to burst prematurely, if the salinity is still too high or on the other hand cause extra stress to your fish if the salinity is too low.

^_^

• SRC Member

quite likely that there wont be beneficial bacteria, hypo is just a temporary measure, so it is done with an empty tank. make sure you put in a air stone, and check your ammonia frequently, and have spare water ready for changes, i lost quite a few fishes the hard way.

B)

• SRC Member

Yes, you can put your fishes in hypo permanently... just ensure that if ever you decide to raise the S.G. back to normal seawater levels again, do so very very slowly or your fishes will die off.

And yes, the live rocks will all become dead rocks and any inverts that you may have will confirm mati.

• SRC Member
Yes, you can put your fishes in hypo permanently... just ensure that if ever you decide to raise the S.G. back to normal seawater levels again, do so very very slowly or your fishes will die off.

And yes, the live rocks will all become dead rocks and any inverts that you may have will confirm mati.

Hi,

I don't think its recommended to put the fish in hypo permanently. Of all the info i have received and researched, its better to limit to 8 weeks. This should be long enough to burst the tormites if the salinity is correctly mantained throughout. Some data have stated that in the long run, the low salinity will damage some organs of the fish. Only certain fishes like freshwater puffer and mollies can be converted to SW, thus withstanding the low Sg. However it is okay to keep a lower salinity like 1.017.

However if u have inverts / bacteria, they will go into a shock and KO within minutes...

Just my 2 cents...

Rgds,

Morpheous

Best Regards,

Morpheous

==========================================================================================

My Ocean Pets:

Emperor Angel, PowderBlue Tang, Regal Angel, Teardrop Butterfly, Singapore Angel and Nemos

==========================================================================================

(Only when you guard your lips, you guard your soul....)